Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought today a New in the box 870 competition trap, 30", fixed full choke. this gun has been a "safe queen" for 30 years. The gun is in mint condition, only shot less than a box of shells when it was purchased in 1986. Going to clean it before I try it out, can't wait to shoot it. Anything I should know about this gun? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Be sure to keep the magazine cap tight. These guns have a problem with a crack forming at the back of the chamber opening. Some attribute it to the cap being loose. Fun gun to shoot. I have 2 of them.

Alan

·
Registered
335 Posts
The gun has a longer forearm then the standard 870. Sometime they get loose and have to be tightened to avoid the side rubbing up against the receiver. The standard forearm wrench is not deep enough to each the nut. I had one custom made from a member of this form and it works great. Let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Does this 870 competition trap model have a recoil absorbing piston in the magazine tube making it
basically a single shot? Can the recoil device be removed so it can shoot multiple rounds?

Eddie

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
M
The gun has a longer forearm then the standard 870. Sometime they get loose and have to be tightened to avoid the side rubbing up against the receiver. The standard forearm wrench is not deep enough to each the nut. I had one custom made from a member of this form and it works great. Let me know if you need any help.
My Brownell's 870 forearm wrench works on mine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You have got to keep the gas system clean. If not it will gum-up and stick the recoil spring an piston assembly. I clean mine after every outing. Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Take the barrel off and clean the parts inside the mag tube. Check to see if the O-ring is in good shape and make sure the vent holes are clear to pass the gases thru. You will be able to see how the piston moves. You should have some spare O-rings on hand. PM me your address and I will send you some extra ones. Comp barrels were over-bored, usually about .740. Patterns are awesome, probably due to the way they tapered the chokes. You will have fun with it. :127:Bob

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I had Moneymaker put a raised rib on mine...REALLY helped, but then I'm partial to guns with higher ribs..your experience may differ.
I'm not shooting mine these days...spending more time on the muzzleloader range. If someone reasonably local to me is interested in owning one...drop me a message.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I took the 870 competition trap to the gun club this morning to try it out. The gun is a real 'clay smoker'! The recoil was like shooting a 410. It is a real pleasure to shoot, don't understand why they quit making them. It seems it shoots a little flat though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts