Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently joined this forum and I have decided to get into competition shooting. I live in Moore, Oklahoma and I'm trying to find out how I can sign up for shooting events? I don't think there are to many in my state, but I'd be willing to travel to surrounding states. I appreciate any information you guys can give me!

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
You need to join the ATA.

You can do that online, or at the first shoot you go to.

Shoots near you can be found on the ATA's website, shootata.com.

Click on "Clubs & Shoots" near the top of the page.

Put your zip code in the text box provided and adjust the "range" list.

When I did that for 200 miles around 73160, I got this result:

MooreOKshoots.jpg

The OTSA (Oklahoma Trap Shooting Association) Shooting Park is in El Reno. That's where the Oklahoma State Shoot is held.

Looks like you have a couple of other clubs that are fairly close by too.

The shoot at OTSA on October 8 - 9 should be a National Trapshooting Day event.

If you can't make any of the other ones before that, that would be a good one to go to.

There should be a number of state association people there who can help you out.

When you click on the "Clubs & Shoots" link there is a map on that page in addition to the zip code query box.

Click on Oklahoma on the map.

You need to click twice on the map, once to get the zone to come up, the second time will bring up a list of the clubs in Oklahoma.

Click on a club and it will give you information about the club: contact, number of fields, location, etc.

Enjoy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to join the ATA.

You can do that online, or at the first shoot you go to.

Shoots near you can be found on the ATA's website, shootata.com.

Click on "Clubs & Shoots" near the top of the page.

Put your zip code in the text box provided and adjust the "range" list.

When I did that for 200 miles around 73160, I got this result:

View attachment 526481

The OTSA (Oklahoma Trap Shooting Association) Shooting Park is in El Reno. That's where the Oklahoma State Shoot is held.

Looks like you have a couple of other clubs that are fairly close by too.

The shoot at OTSA on October 8 - 9 should be a National Trapshooting Day event.

If you can't make any of the other ones before that, that would be a good one to go to.

There should be a number of state association people there who can help you out.

When you click on the "Clubs & Shoots" link there is a map on that page in addition to the zip code query box.

Click on Oklahoma on the map.

You need to click twice on the map, once to get the zone to come up, the second time will bring up a list of the clubs in Oklahoma.

Click on a club and it will give you information about the club: contact, number of fields, location, etc.

Enjoy
Thanks for the reply!! I've been wanting to do this for a while and I hope to be able to go far with it! Now I'm trying to decide on what gun I want to start with. I've been eyeing the Browning Citori 725 with the 32" barrels. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Thanks for the reply!! I've been wanting to do this for a while and I hope to be able to go far with it! Now I'm trying to decide on what gun I want to start with. I've been eyeing the Browning Citori 725 with the 32" barrels. :)
That should work.

Don't over think things, at first.

Just go out and have fun.

If you've never been to a shoot, go to one and have a look around.

See how things are run. Get a feel for what's going on.

That shoot at the Oklahoma City Gun Club on the 25th of September would be a good one to check out.

You can also join the ATA then, if you haven't joined online by then.

You can even shoot, if you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That should work.

That shoot at the Oklahoma City Gun Club on the 25th of September would be a good one to check out.

I'll definitely go check it out. I'm pretty excited to join and shoot! Shooting has always been a big hobby of mine and a true passion. I've just never really seen guys at the higher levels shoot semi auto's. I've always seen them use O/U. But I'll definitely go see what the requirements are. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Is there a big difference between non ported and ported barrels? I've always shot non ported pumps and semi autos. I also had a L.C. Smith built in 1930, it was a nice gun!
Some people swear by them. Others swear at them.

Given a choice of the same gun, ported and unported, you'd probably be better off with the unported one.

Ported guns can be an annoyance to the shooters beside you.

They direct the sound to the side and they have a tendency to spit small pieces of shot and crap out the holes which can hit the shooters beside you.

And the holes can be a slight pain to clean; another step in the cleaning process.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some people swear by them. Others swear at them.

Given a choice of the same gun, ported and unported, you'd probably be better off with the unported one.

Ported guns can be an annoyance to the shooters beside you.

They direct the sound to the side and they have a tendency to spit small pieces of shot and crap out the holes which can hit the shooters beside you.

And the holes can be a slight pain to clean; another step in the cleaning process.
So it really doesn't affect the ability to stay on target for a follow up shot if needed? I definitely need to get my hands on a few different shotguns to see which one fits me best. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
That should work.

I would recommend doing the same. Go to an ATA shoot and hopefully you will be able to look at some different guns and find one that works for you! I know how exciting it is! I shot a lot when I live at home and had to stop when I went to college and now that I'm out and saved my money for years I finally ordered my dream gun and it should be here this week! It's a Seitz. It's not a combo, but its what I've always wanted. Got luck with your hunt just remember to take your time and enjoy the process!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would recommend doing the same. Go to an ATA shoot and hopefully you will be able to look at some different guns and find one that works for you! I know how exciting it is! I shot a lot when I live at home and had to stop when I went to college and now that I'm out and saved my money for years I finally ordered my dream gun and it should be here this week! It's a Seitz. It's not a combo, but its what I've always wanted. Got luck with your hunt just remember to take your time and enjoy the process!
Those Seitz are way out of my price range!! Haha. For down the road I was looking at Caesar Guerini or Rizzini.

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
So it really doesn't affect the ability to stay on target for a follow up shot if needed? I definitely need to get my hands on a few different shotguns to see which one fits me best. :)
Fit is much more important than porting.

Some people won't buy a used gun if it's ported.

Like I said, if you have two of the same gun available for sale, one ported and one not, you'd be better off getting the one that's not ported.

If the gun you want is only offered in a ported model, buy it.

But buy it because it fits, not because it's ported.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fit is much more important than porting.

Some people won't buy a used gun if it's ported.

Like I said, if you have two of the same gun available for sale, one ported and one not, you'd be better off getting the one that's not ported.

If the gun you want is only offered in a ported model, buy it.

But buy it because it fits, not because it's ported.
The one I'm looking at is non ported. I appreciate all the info!! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are like me when I started, the gun didn't really matter that much. Having it fitted is vital and learning the fundamentals, then the fun starts when you know you want a new gun and you know what you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are like me when I started, the gun didn't really matter that much. Having it fitted is vital and learning the fundamentals, then the fun starts when you know you want a new gun and you know what you want.
Well, the next gun I get I'm keeping for life so I want something pretty decent. :1syellow1:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts