Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am very new to this sport. I been trap shooting a couple months now. I was using a savage 333T and decided to purchase a remington versa max because of its multi use. I have a question I hope someone can help me with. My biggest concern is my shells ejecting. I see birchwood casey makes a catcher but the reviews werent to good. Remington doesnt make anything for the versa max. Does anyone know of anything that can help? I dont want to be a distraction or an annoyance to the shooter next to me.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You could also contact Tron(on this forum) about having a knockdown pin installed. It's bascically a small bead welded inside the back portion of the barrel that when properly done, knocks the hulls straight down instead of launching them across the whole field. It sounds redneck but it is actually a very good modification. There were actually some makes of auto shotguns with this done from the factory. Tron is good at this modification.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Birchwoid Casey has a fine product for that purpose. My son used a Browning Silver Hunter for his trap gun and it worked beautifully for him. He mainly used it cuz he reloads and saves his hulls. Try it can't go wrong no permanent modifications just a double sided tape.

Enjoy shoot em'.......BTW it won't be long if you keep shooting trap that you will be looking for a trap dedicated gun soon so no need for expensive modifications for a gun that you will be replacing soon....this the nature of this sport once your hooked you will be looking for that Bgun Pgun or Kgun...good luck

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Your Savage is a good trap gun. Keep shooting it for trap. Make sure it fits you and shoots where your are pointing. I have a 333T in my collection, and have shot some good scores with it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My trap grade 1100 comes with a factory knock down pin. It throws the shell down and forward. I have tried the commercial shell catchers. I don't reload. To be honest I find them distracting to say the least. The shell when fired sticks out the side of the receiver. You have to move it forward and pull it out. To load a new shell you have to insert it a certain way and make sure it lays properly. If it slips it can go backwards and that is a pain. Shooting on a fairly fast squad makes this distracting and screws up your concentration. Less you have to fuss with, the better. I shoot better when all I have to do is drop a shell in the receiver and hit the release when it is my turn to shoot. Try a commercial catcher and see if it suits you. The knock down button is a cheap install.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
First off Welcome to TS.com. You'll find lots of helpfull advice here. Some of the advice is even good. LOL.

I'll second the rubber band!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
610 Posts
The birch wood is good you just need to bend it a little until it catches it most of the time. 85% of the times it catches it 10% it gets through but it is knocked down at my feet and 5% it gets knocked back into the chamber. Just release the bolt again pull the trigger and pull back the bolt. It's just the nature of the beast with semis

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
knockdown pins are great if installed properly and tron does a great job. What I did was figure about where i wanted it and used a dab of JB weld. You have to rough up the barrel extension area where you want it with sand paper and then clean it really well with alcohol. Put the dab of JB on and let it harden overnight. Try it and see how it works. You can massage it with a file or even remove it with no harm to the gun. Worked great and did not come off. motordoc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Birchwoid Casey has a fine product for that purpose. My son used a Browning Silver Hunter for his trap gun and it worked beautifully for him. He mainly used it cuz he reloads and saves his hulls. Try it can't go wrong no permanent modifications just a double sided tape.

Enjoy shoot em'.......BTW it won't be long if you keep shooting trap that you will be looking for a trap dedicated gun soon so no need for expensive modifications for a gun that you will be replacing soon....this the nature of this sport once your hooked you will be looking for that Bgun Pgun or Kgun...good luck

It is funny you should mention this. I spent close to 2k on the versa max because I bought a 28in barrel with different chokes. Now as you say I have been looking (wife may be reading) just looking at other guns for trap as you said.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Welcome to TS.com.

Good of you to be concerned about empties flying out of your gun and negatively effecting other. Shows respect for your fellow shooters.

If you are serious about shooting this particular gun for an extended period of time on the trap field, I too suggest contacting "Tron" on this site and see about having him install a "knock down pin". Absolutely will not interfere with the way the gun cycles.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have seen Remington 1100 and Winchester super X 1 that had the barrel extensions drilled at both ends and piano wire installed that worked quite well.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Welcome to a GREAT sport. The old 333T will do for awhile. As far as your auto. The Birchwood Casey shell catcher will work well but, you may have to do some bending. Also a vote for Tron's shell deflector. You will need one if you are planning on shooting doubles with an auto. Hitting people with ejected shells is considered rude and unexceptable . Go to tronspace gun works and check it out. Again welcome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts