Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Long time lurker and found some very solid information at these forums. I have decided to take the step into shooting competitively! The only problem is I have no idea where to start looking. I've looked locally and I found a club not very far from my place but it's thousands of dollars to join. Literally any information on where to get my foot in door would be awesome. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Look at the ATA and the PITA websites for competitions. When a club puts on a registered shoot, you don't have to be a member of that club to shoot at the competition. It would help to know what area of the country you live in.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Is there a gun shop that sells trap guns near by? Drop in and tell the sales people you want to get started and ask where. I'm sure they know a small club somewhere that would be glad to have you as a member or guest for a lot less money.

·
Administrator
8,387 Posts
Is McKinney about 45 min. out of the Dallas area? I would think that there would be some Dallas area clay target clubs that would be reasonable?
Thousands of dollars to be a member of a shooting range/clay target club? That club must be a private club/limited access type of club.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mckinney is about 25-30 mins from Dallas. The club is called the Dallas Gun club which is a private club. I currently shoot at Elm Fork which is an amazing place, The only problem is they don't have trap fields, just practice trap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Graff228, Terrell is having a monthly open Trap shoot Sunday, 11-20-16. You do not have to be a member to attend the shoot. They shoot 75 targets of singles. Cost is $25 with $10 going to a Lewis purse. They also serve a free lunch, last month was chicken fajitas. We have some good shooters and some not-so-good, like me, but it is great fun. I usually get there about 11:30AM sign in, eat lunch, then shoot.

Terrell Rifle & Pistol Club

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the more you look and ask around the more you'll find places. I knew of one place by me in nj, started asking around and became friends with a few shooters and now I know of about 5-6 places I can go in an hr or less

·
Registered
341 Posts
Terrell is having a monthly open Trap shoot Sunday, 11-20-16. You do not have to be a member to attend the shoot. They shoot 75 targets of singles. Cost is $25 with $10 going to a Lewis purse.
Terrell Rifle & Pistol Club is about 65 miles from McKinney. It has about 700 members and is the best club in north Texas (maybe the best club anywhere) for offering a shooter the best value for his dollar. Guests shoot Trap or skeet for $5 per round, members pay $3. The name is misleading because the club has a great shotgun facility that consists of 3 trap/skeet field overlays, a five stand field, and is now installing a SC course. If you hit the link above and zero in on the Google map in earth view mode it will show up as Gunplay USA.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Sounds like a great club Tractorboy!!!

I drive a hour each way to shoot. So Don't let the drive worry you. After you get settled in and meet some shooters, I'm sure you can find some others who will like to car pool with you. Only having to drive every other week is not bad at all, and this allows you to make even better shooting bud's, getting a membership will help you out as well with cheaper targets to start off, and then more friendly shooting bud's too boot. Best of Luck with your Journey!!! Break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
TTA Shoot Dates. Only some places have turned in shoot dates for 2017, but those will increase at the beginning of the year.

To my knowledge, Fort Worth is the closes place in Texas to you that has regular ATA events. You also need to look at the OTSA website here: 2016 Registered Shoots. They don't have any 2017 dates up yet, but it will give you an idea of where and how often they shoot there.

Also, places that are a bit of a further hike, but not crazy would be Iowa Park, Buffalo Creek, and they are also doing more trap shoots in Waco. If you shoot much you'll be likely to go to San Antonio a couple time a year. If you want to shoot much in Texas, you need to like to drive.

Get a cursory handle on the rules, then start shooting, there isn't really a benefit to waiting to compete.

·
Premium Member
10,502 Posts
Private message me with your information and I'll see that you get our information. That goes for anyone else on TS.com.

Barry Roach
ATA Regional Promotions Coordinator

1 - 15 of 15 Posts