Trapshooters Forum banner

New to shotgun reloading

1424 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Raymond Balducci
Ok, just loaded and shot my first batch of birdshot shotshells. They were flawless. Anyone know what I can do with these to make 00Buck and slugs?
AA-HS hulls 12g 2-3/4
Federal 209A
CB1114-12 wads (for Buck)
SW250 wads (for slugs)
700X powder

I don’t have the slugs or the #00 shot yet. I wanna get the right ones. Anyone have any data?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Hodgdon and Alliant have reloading manuals online for free. Between that and the Lyman's 5th you should be good.

Now I don't load buck, but I recall there being very little data for 700x on Hodgdon. I am going to check. Usually, I see buck call for straight walled hulls but I'm not an expert.

If you can, you always want to pick your load first and then get components as opposed to trying to make components you have work. This is especially important for a new reloader. Subbing components outside of published data can be dangerous.

Edit:

I don't see any data for Win AA HS, 700x and buckshot on Hodgdon Reloading.

Attachments

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
I reloaded shot shell for many years and still have my presses, components, wads and shot for several thousand reloads. I will reload again when my health allows me to return to trapshooting. I also deer hunted since 1978 using 30-06. 308 and .35 Remington for which I also reloaded. I also hunted with muzzle loaders.

That being said, I never had any desire to reload for slugs and/or buckshot. Buckshot is not legal for deer in my home state anyway

Commercial slug and buckshot loads are usually at the higher end of velocities which would require careful attention when reloading. Slugs also usually require a roll crimp which entails special equipment and experience.

Why not just buy commercial slugs or buckshot? How many do you plan to shoot?

For a hunting venue, where I was limited to slugs or black powder, I bought Wolf slugs with Brenneck type wads which stay with the slug in flight. I could shoot 2" - 3 shot groups at 50 yards with the Wolf ammo (made in Germany) out of my smooth bore Remington 870 20" deer barrel with rifle sights. Remington, Winchester and Federal are now making more advanced slugs with rifling features that should be even better than the Brenneck type slug or the traditional "pumpkin" ball. I never got to shoot at a deer at this venue.

A warning to any new shot shell reloader, not to rain on your parade, is not to reload too many different shot sizes and velocity types. You may end up with several hundred shot shells that will simply gather dust and tie up money and components.

if you still want to load slug and/or buck shot, the Lyman manual is a good place to start. Try to find a buddy who reloads slug and/or buck shot and load some together.

Good luck and weigh your charges.

· Registered
2,397 Posts
Todays factory loaded slugs are so much better than anything you could possibly reload. A person doesn't shoot enough slugs to make it worth the time trying to get something that doesn't even compare to factory. I look at my shotshell loads to be on par with premium factory shotshell loads as a much cheaper price.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
Ok, just loaded and shot my first batch of birdshot shotshells. They were flawless. Anyone know what I can do with these to make 00Buck and slugs?
AA-HS hulls 12g 2-3/4
Federal 209A
CB1114-12 wads (for Buck)
SW250 wads (for slugs)
700X powder

I don’t have the slugs or the #00 shot yet. I wanna get the right ones. Anyone have any data?

Raymond:

If you are serious about reloading slugs, you may want to check out this web site. If you only need a small number of rounds, my advice is to buy commercial.

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reloaded shot shell for many years and still have my presses, components, wads and shot for several thousand reloads. I will reload again when my health allows me to return to trapshooting. I also deer hunted since 1978 using 30-06. 308 and .35 Remington for which I also reloaded. I also hunted with muzzle loaders.

That being said, I never had any desire to reload for slugs and/or buckshot. Buckshot is not legal for deer in my home state anyway

Commercial slug and buckshot loads are usually at the higher end of velocities which would require careful attention when reloading. Slugs also usually require a roll crimp which entails special equipment and experience.

Why not just buy commercial slugs or buckshot? How many do you plan to shoot?

For a hunting venue, where I was limited to slugs or black powder, I bought Wolf slugs with Brenneck type wads which stay with the slug in flight. I could shoot 2" - 3 shot groups at 50 yards with the Wolf ammo (made in Germany) out of my smooth bore Remington 870 20" deer barrel with rifle sights. Remington, Winchester and Federal are now making more advanced slugs with rifling features that should be even better than the Brenneck type slug or the traditional "pumpkin" ball. I never got to shoot at a deer at this venue.

A warning to any new shot shell reloader, not to rain on your parade, is not to reload too many different shot sizes and velocity types. You may end up with several hundred shot shells that will simply gather dust and tie up money and components.

if you still want to load slug and/or buck shot, the Lyman manual is a good place to start. Try to find a buddy who reloads slug and/or buck shot and load some together.

Good luck and weigh your charges.
I’ll heed your warning. Makes sense. I can easily see that happen. These things don’t pack like 223 cases and primers. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.