Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,909 Posts
There is a school that says 'use oil only.'

That shotgun shipped with oil, not grease. Grease has a 'thickness' to it that is real - which theoretically is not good for the hinge of the gun. Further, there are parts designed to move quickly and the viscosity of grease can hinder this movement.

Any lubricant can and will attract dust/dirt - and grease is much worse than oil for this. Most will wipe off all lubricant when they clean the gun, and re-lube when finished.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I use Super Lube Synthetic. It stays where you put it....doesnt melt in the hot South Florida sun and its not expensive.

Reap

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My new Kolar came from the factory with a tube of CMD Gun Lube, I guess that's what they'd like me to use.

·
Premium Member
12,909 Posts
Berettas ship with oil not grease from the factory...

I second the 'Super Lube' and I also use 'Tetra Gun' - both are clear, don't stain and neither has much of an odor. Can be had as oil or grease - I use the oil on my five Berettas...

A quick review of the manuals for my guns all say OIL - no mention of grease.

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
If you bought the gun new, it should have come with oil and instructions where to oil. If not, you can download the instruction manual from the Beretta website. Apply whatever lubrication you are going to use sparingly. I use oil in my Berettas. Enjoy your new acquisition.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
Oil vs. grease; same as 7 1/2 vs. 8. Never settle it.

Reactions: Quick 1

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
My Berettas get grease. CMD to be exact. This stuff will stand the hottest temps. It will stain clothes though but if you know how to was clothes and use Dawn, no biggy.

Oil will attract and hold dirt particles too, just for the record. Same surface area should yield similar absorption.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used shooters choice red synthetic in the past, in a pinch I've used Mobil 1 out of my grease gun, but lately I have been using slip 2000 EWG (extreme weapon grease). For o/u shotguns grease is the only way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Kolar says CMD grease lube....Giacomo/Perazzi says TriFlow oil. Not sure about the Beretta folks......

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 682's get grease. Not sure it matters that much what flavor. I've used Red and Tacky, Super Lube, Gun Glide, and wheel bearing grease all with good results. Put it on before you shoot and wipe it off after.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd grease my gun if I were you. I grease the hinge pin & barrel lug on my Bt-99 & never have had issues. I use the Birchwood Casey gun grease by the way.. Good luck,

-ithaca

·
Registered
46 Posts
Grease is just the medium, it holds the oil. It will turn to a liquid when it gets hot (the gun)., and back to a more solid form when it cools down. In the warmer months I use a heavier grease, a lighter one for the colder months. It doesn't matter as long as use something!! Don't go dry!!

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
There's always the old Garand saying, "If it spins, oil it. If it slides, grease it."

If nothing else, it's easy to remember. :p Good luck.

Bob Falfa

1 - 20 of 23 Posts