Trapshooters Forum banner

New to me old 366 broken doo-hickey...

2469 Views 40 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  phatkaw
Ok,I acquired this old Pacific 366 yesterday and the thing in the back that is part of the auto-advance broke as soon as I put it back to where I thought it should be.
When I first got it home that part was crooked in 2 different directions and definitely not in the right place.
I barely put any tension on the set screws when it 'let go'. It was already ready to snap off...
My other 366s' doo-hickey is cast directly into the base and adjusts by loosening a lock-nut and turning a screw one way or the other.
I think I've got a plan on how to fix it.
I haven't seen one of these older models with the 'doo-hickey' like this one. This is definitely a weak link and I'm sure they redesigned it right away?
Anyone else break that thing and replace or fix it?
Machine Cylinder Machine tool Steel Nut
Reactions: jeff348
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

· Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, thanks for the link !
If you look at page 12 you can see the thing right in the middle of the base. If you check my picture out you should be able to imagine what the difference is between the two generations...

· Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt that can be repaired - wrong looking metal for welding.

The good news is that it isn't a hard part to manufacture - you'd need a mill and a welder and an afternoon to play...
I was thinking about just drilling a hole in the base and through the broken thingy and just bolting it together. (I'd need some washers in between the two parts) If the timing is off, I can hawg out the hole one way or the other ?

· Banned
94 Posts
Ok,I acquired this old Pacific 366 yesterday and the thing in the back that is part of the auto-advance broke as soon as I put it back to where I thought it should be.
When I first got it home that part was crooked in 2 different directions and definitely not in the right place.
I barely put any tension on the set screws when it 'let go' it was already ready to snap off...
My other 366s' doo-hickey is cast directly into the base and adjusts by loosening a lock-nut and turning a screw one way or the other.
I haven't seen one of these older models with the 'doo-hickey' like this one. This is definitely a weak link and I'm sure they redesigned it right away?
That does look like a broken doo-hickey imho

· Premium Member
15,915 Posts
I think that small you'd more likely find some 'C' channel steel and need to weld an extension on the one side. That, or plate and angle iron.

If you do go the route of drilling and bolting might I suggest you epoxy the broken piece back on first (not as a structural thing) - to help determine the correct alignment - you really don't want to 'worry' the hole bigger than just fits the bolt. You'd be introducing an error to the process... wobble is bad in repetitive stress situations.

Reactions: phatkaw

· Registered
608 Posts
I barely put any tension on the set screws when it 'let go'. It was already ready to snap off...
View attachment 1732342
Just call Hornady and ask if they got any do-hickeys in stock. Just make sure they don't send you a whatchamacallit by mistake.

· Registered
304 Posts
I'm sure they redesigned it right away?
That was part of the retrofit auto-advance. I always thought those socket head cap screws bolted into the base casting, not clamped the upright for the eccentric bearing to the base casting. You can adjust the timing by adjusting the bolt that the bearing is mounted on.
The redesign cast that part integral to the base casting.

· Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve, I'm gonna run it for a little while as a pull-pawl just to see how bad it sucks.
Then I'll probably end up doing a 'do it yourself modification' that I've read about while doing a million searches here for 366s...
If I screw it up then I'll call Todd. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.