Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This is a very educational thread as this is something that ive been looking forwards towards doing. Appreciate all the posting.

Seems like you've had to switch wood suppliers. Is that the case? Have you worked with either wood supplier before?
I did switch. This had been my first time going though Luxus.
I have had a stock made from a blank from Cecil before...it was on my Fabarm, here's a link to it:
Stock Progress Updated with finished pics

Matter of fact this is kind of crazy. The blank from Cecil on my fabarm 2 years ago was #27.....the one that he just shipped my way is #27H...maybe that means something good!

·
Supporting Vendor
1,192 Posts
Just for the sake of "education", I'll chime in a little on the moisture content topic. I will only ship a blank (stock and forend) that have been metered by my high-end inductive moisture meter from end to end at under eleven percent MC. Even then, it is always a good practice to let the wood acclimate to the local seasonal environment for several months before inletting it.

My Brookhuis inductive meter will check all the way through a 2 1/2 inch thick blank and will tell me of any anomaly anywhere in the wood. When I started using this particular meter, I used to check one side and then the other because I was concerned about the device's ability to "see" through all 2 1/2 inches. After checking over two thousand English Walnut, Black Walnut, Myrtlewood, Maple and even Rosewood Bubinga blanks, the readings on both sides are always identical with any anomalies appearing at exactly the same place in the blank with precisely the same MC number.

Short lesson is always insist that any high-end blank you buy has been naturally air-dried and metered between eight and ten percent moisture content. A lot of custom makers shy away from wood that's too dry since, depending on the wood, some of them become brittle.

And never, ever buy a pricey blank from someone who won't replace a defective blank with another of equal or greater value.

A little education. Mike Mann
White Creek Gunstock Blanks

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just for the sake of "education", I'll chime in a little on the moisture content topic. I will only ship a blank (stock and forend) that have been metered by my high-end inductive moisture meter from end to end at under eleven percent MC. Even then, it is always a good practice to let the wood acclimate to the local seasonal environment for several months before inletting it.

My Brookhuis inductive meter will check all the way through a 2 1/2 inch thick blank and will tell me of any anomaly anywhere in the wood. When I started using this particular meter, I used to check one side and then the other because I was concerned about the device's ability to "see" through all 2 1/2 inches. After checking over two thousand English Walnut, Black Walnut, Myrtlewood, Maple and even Rosewood Bubinga blanks, the readings on both sides are always identical with any anomalies appearing at exactly the same place in the blank with precisely the same MC number.

Short lesson is always insist that any high-end blank you buy has been naturally air-dried and metered between eight and ten percent moisture content. A lot of custom makers shy away from wood that's too dry since, depending on the wood, some of them become brittle.

And never, ever buy a pricey blank from someone who won't replace a defective blank with another of equal or greater value.

Fully agree. Dan at Luxus was really helpful and apologized profusely that the second blank slipped through on the high side of moisture. He described his requirements from his suppliers and it just turned out that that blank slipped through, it happens and I can't fault the process.

Mike, what model of Brook Huis do you have?

I know I only posted a picture of the General brand moisture meter but Russ also walked over to his son's machine shop and got his to double check (measured the same). When I was up there last his son's meter looked much fancier, though I didn't catch the brand or model. I'll try to remember to ask when I'm up there next.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,192 Posts
The only markings on the meter are "AB" and "FMW moisture detector". There is no model number that I can detect.

MM

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Getting close. Checkering is almost done and then finish to be applied. Think its turning out great. Can't wait to see it finished.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts

Hi Mike, Please post a picture of your moisture meter.
I will have to have one if I can afford it.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,192 Posts
Sorry. My meter is back in Atlanta being tuned up. When it comes back, I'll post a pic.

MM

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Getting pretty close...first coats of finish are on. I really wanted a lighter color and early alcohol wipes made it look darker than I wanted, but it looks like its turning out just how I hoped. I'm pretty excited. Should have my hands on it by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Is that some type of laser checkering? Looks different than standard cut.

Also, what is the finish type being applied?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is that some type of laser checkering? Looks different than standard cut.

Also, what is the finish type being applied?
Its all hand checkered...he's just a perfectionist and drew a bunch of sketches and templates before a cutter was ever brought near the wood.
He also said he had to still go over the checkering a second time when that picture was sent to me. So I guess maybe that's why it looks a little fuzzy in the picture (as well as any conversions in text messaging pictures around).

·
Registered
607 Posts
The old high grade Winchesters usually had the feather coming down from the top were as most feathers usually come up from the bottom.

CT

41 - 56 of 56 Posts