Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like the 2nd piece of wood better!. ...I also like that light wood that Kolar favors. I recently realized why stockbuilders like Rus prefer to use a clearcoat instead of a hand rubbed oil finish. The oil finish tends to get darker.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Those were pictures Dan at Luxus had taken. I snapped a couple yesterday when the blank came in....then promptly dropped it off at Russ' so he could work it.

I think it'll turn out pretty good with the new blank.

(Alcohol is drying on the left side by the time i snapped the pic)
upload_2020-8-7_14-56-3.png

upload_2020-8-7_14-57-12.png

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Stock has been roughed out of the new blank. Though Russ just called and said that moisture meter is showing between 11-12% (he borrowed a second meter and got the same results) in the middle of the blank. Pretty bummed about things going awry with the blanks.
He said he's going to not inlet yet, going to block it and let it dry for a couple days to see if and how it shrinks. Dam.

This is cut from the front of the blank...so moisture 2" into the blank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stock looks amazing. Thanks for posting these updates.

I am sort of new and learning a lot. I'm guessing that stocks usually don't have that much moisture in the center? If this happens and the stock shrinks what would your next steps be?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Stock looks amazing. Thanks for posting these updates.

I am sort of new and learning a lot. I'm guessing that stocks usually don't have that much moisture in the center? If this happens and the stock shrinks what would your next steps be?
Russ said that normally a long dried stock doesn't show a measurement on his meter. So low single digits I gather.
He said what happens is if you cut the inletting the relatively thin side plate areas can move around. But then you don't have extra wood to reinlet.

I assume my next steps would be to throw it all into an expensive fire and roast marshmallows. But seriously I don't know. I think he's letting it dry without inletting to help but I really don't know what can be done if it moves a lot over the next few days.
I asked Dan at Luxus how long the first piece had been drying and he said 6.5-7 years. I wouldn't think he'd sell something more wet....so maybe his supplier isn't being completely up front...or they missed it in their drying protocol. Going to give him a heads up and ask.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The risk is created by moisture content sufficiently high that, if the finished stock dries out and contracts, can cause inletting issues, visible gaps or even cracking.

High end guitar makers have noted that an acoustic guitar (largely rosewood and spruce) can absorb an ounce of water by weight simply be being allowed to become dry, and then exposing it to high relative humidity.

I'm guessing that 7% would be ideal for gunstocks?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The risk is created by moisture content sufficiently high that, if the finished stock dries out and contracts, can cause inletting issues, visible gaps or even cracking.

High end guitar makers have noted that an acoustic guitar (largely rosewood and spruce) can absorb an ounce of water by weight simply be being allowed to become dry, and then exposing it to high relative humidity.

I'm guessing that 7% would be ideal for gunstocks?
That's my guess on the content as well. I'm assuming that since he normally doesn't get a reading and his gauge stops at 8% then yeah, that's what he's looking for.
He did tell me that he's had issues with kiln dried blanks as well. Something extra must happen to kiln dried blanks....pulling oil out of it or something that negatively affects the blank. Though I can't recall the rest of the conversation on what it was.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Why would you need to pay for a blank that isn’t suitable ?
You wouldn't. I mean, I wouldn't want to and I'm glad I haven't had to.
Its why you go to reputable places that guarantee their blanks. Ordering a random blank off ebay or from a lessor know supplier means you are rolling the dice on what you might find inside it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Blank number 3 is on its way now....hopefully this one is the final one. I'm ready to shoot my gun again.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So you ended up with a third stock? Is the second stock worthless?
This is the third wood blank as a stock has yet to be finished. The second piece might not be worthless when it finally dries...but could keep moving during drying and be no good.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is fascinating to a guy like me with little experience with 'fancy' wood. I'm starting to appreciate why the high end grades cost what they do..
Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a very educational thread as this is something that ive been looking forwards towards doing. Appreciate all the posting.

Seems like you've had to switch wood suppliers. Is that the case? Have you worked with either wood supplier before?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts