Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Russ is working on the pattern stock for my Kolar but with everyone stuck at home because of everything going on I figured I'd post a couple pictures of the wood blank that just came in.

I'll try and remember to update the post later when this blank gets cut. Which hopefully isn't in more than a couple of months.

upload_2020-3-19_16-15-18.png

upload_2020-3-19_16-16-7.png

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I’ve had some dandy blanks from Luxus. One blank set had a unforeseen problem in the forearm on a set I sold at a later date and they still worked with the new owner to replace the forend. Good guys.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,482 Posts
That must be a very cheap piece of wood!! All I see are a bunch of light and dark squiggly lines going through the wood, overlaid with a weird sunburst of lines cutting through them. What a mess!!! Couldn’t you afford anything with straight even grain???!!! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve had some dandy blanks from Luxus. One blank set had a unforeseen problem in the forearm on a set I sold at a later date and they still worked with the new owner to replace the forend. Good guys.
That's great to hear! Thanks. I looked around and saw some positive reviews for them so figured I'd go ahead. Can't wait until its shooting.

That must be a very cheap piece of wood!! All I see are a bunch of light and dark squiggly lines going through the wood, overlaid with a weird sunburst of lines cutting through them. What a mess!!! Couldn’t you afford anything with straight even grain???!!! :biggrin2:

He threw this blank in for nothing on another order because of the bad shape it was in. I think it came out of his discount bin.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, bad news. Russ started carving the blank and a hole was found in a bad spot.
He said that the exacto knife blade is all the way in and isn't touching a bottom to the hole.

I think if it was near the recoil pad or off to the side where it would get cut off mostly I'd just have him fill it and live with the dark spot...but you can kind of see that its at the front of the comb right behind where your thumb wraps over.

Talked to Dan at Luxus and he's standing behind his wood and is being very helpful on making sure I'm taken care of to solve the problem.

I'll update as the project moves forward.

upload_2020-8-2_15-12-45.png

upload_2020-8-2_15-13-12.png

·
Registered
604 Posts
“You never known until you open it up” the old saying goes... Sorry about this happening to your wood. Glad to hear vendor is working with you.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
I'd be worried about it being weak right at the back of the top tang. Might be salvageable for an autoloader though.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, picked a replacement blank and should be here this week so that things can keep moving.
Here's some of the pics of the new blank.

upload_2020-8-3_9-9-0.png

upload_2020-8-3_9-18-8.png

1 - 20 of 60 Posts