Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

So a little bit of backround. This is my first year shooting registered skeet and I shoot a browning 525 sporting and I shoot it pretty well. The gun has alot of rounds thru it not just from me but from previous owner. I was going to give it a tune up this winter with new Springs and firing pins and was gonna maybe try to crisp up the trigger some. My main question is this. Should I maybe build this gun to make it what I want with new fitted to me nice Shiney piece of wood and buy fitted tubes for it and make it my skeet only gun or would it be better to find something of better name that already has all that stuff done to it and has the tubes and the case. I'm probably looking to spend another 3500 on my gun between stock 28ga and 410ga tubes as I already own 20ga. I was just trying to find someone who has been in my position and what move they made and why. Like I said I shoot my gun well for a first year registered shooter. I'm 22 and up every round. I just need that little change that makes me start running 25s all the time. Thanks in advance

Corey

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Get a K-80, Perazzi, Lightweight Kolar, or a Beretta DT-11, maybe a Blaser. Put tubes in it, sell the 20 gauge. PS, I would buy a 30" or longer barrell. Have a stock fitted to you, don't go out and handle any other guns on the rack, or guns that come up for sale (this will keep you focused on your gun and hopefully will keep you from buying others :127:).
Learn to shoot the new gun at whatever modality you want.......good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No offense taken AAngelo I am asking for opinions. And Andybull the only issue is in don't have 10 grand for a gun. I could probably raise about 4 to 5 and then sell my 525

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I found a Beretta 682 Gold, 30" barrels, with a Kolar tube set and an Americase at a Cabelas Gun Library for $3000. There are great skeet gun bargains out there, as older skeet shooters are giving up the game faster than new shooters are starting. Have fun shopping.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Shotguns are but tools with which to either get the job done or look good trying. You could pay an enormous amount for any high grade gun and still not shoot it well? That's not the answer you're looking for in my opinion. There's a common denominator associated with success with any shotgun! It's called; a stock fitted to you! The mechanics of the gun you're now shooting can be adjusted to suit your needs trigger wise! Make sure it's in top mechanical form and try wearing that gun out shooting with intensity! Reworked and fit to you will make the gun come alive in your hands and you're already familiar with it! Use your shooting cash wisely and that includes upgrading to a more costly system! There's time down the road to upgrade to a magic stick but wear out the one you have first! Imagine how many targets your gun is capable of breaking once souped up to suit your NEEDS now and not miss a clay till it was the fault of the 525??? Good luck guy!!

HAP

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
From the sound of it, you have a 20 gauge "companion tube".

In stead of buying the 28 and 410 companion tubes, sell your 20 tube. Whichever way you go, whether staying with the 525 or purchasing a new/ used skeet gun, get fitted tubes.... 20 gauge companion tubes are VERY prone to splitting.

Unfortunately, skeet seems to be a dying sport and there are always lots of good values in used gun/tube sets if you shop around, particularly 28" barrels as they have gone "out of style"....still crush skeet targets!

I competed successfully for many years with a Beretta 682 w/28" barrels and fitted Kolar AAA tubes. Buy one with an adjustable comb/butt plate and you're good to go! A great value in today's market. With some patience and looking around, you should be able to find something comparable for less than the 3500.00 you say you're willing to spend on your current gun, and IMO, have a better gun for competitive skeet.

·
Banned
899 Posts
Sell your gun and find another used Browning(or Beretta, or etc.) that has everything you want with it. There are some good deals out there if you're patient.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Thats a tough one. I agree that getting a custom stock is #1 on the list, and it doesn't matter what gun it is, your 525 or another, so cost is gonna be the same. The 525 is a very solid gun & you already have one set of tubes for it, so it seems to me, it's a good path to follow, especially since there's a budget goal.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Buy another gun, if it does not work out, you will still have your old gun to back you up while you are working out any other issues.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
If you buy another gun, remember to shoot it before you buy it.
That way you will know if it is user friendly. HMB

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This forum is full of posts of folks bemoaning the sale of guns that they shot well. The changes you propose to make to your gun are relatively extreme and expensive. I guess the answer to your question depends upon your priorities. If you want something different, new and fancy, go ahead and sell your gun for a new one. If you want what you have been shooting well, do a tune up on the springs, trigger, etc. and start experimenting with the gun gradually (i.e. stock etc) I think you will make a wiser choice and save money. It will be fun regardless.

Just my 2 cents

John

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Clay poppy and jmac have good advice - echos my opinion after 20+ years of competitive skeet shooting. That said, be prepared to spend 2,000 practice shells (more or less) getting used to your new or replacement gun. I have seen this lots of times as shooters go into an unexpected slump after getting a different gun.Practice a lot with your .410 - helps develop concentration/pointing skills. Regards, Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts