Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Hydraulics are o.k. but expensive ($1295.00). They require space under the bench. They are noisy. They are hot. The Spolar foot control requires you to re-position your foot to return the ram.

The Ponsness/Warren Auto-Drive costs $900.00. It fits in the unused space behind your loader. It is cool and quiet. The foot control only requires two movements - depress or let up.

Email or PM me for a competitive quote on a P/W Auto-Drive.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Here is my video on its operation with the Foot Control.

Here is my video of its operation with the Joystick Control.

I prefer the joystick control for loading .410 gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I have a Spolar, load 12 GA with it and a hand control PW Electric Drive unit. Love it. Takes a bit of adjusting when you first get it. Unlike hand or hydraulic, you can't screw up, it is a constant rotation by the electric motor. It is not quite as fast as hydraulic, but I have never loaded for speed, just the pure enjoyment of loading a great shell. It is very quiet, powerful, and does not interfere with my Sirius/Bose speaker while loading.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: Both will work just fine. I have the hydro and it works just fine. Cover the pump over with a small rug and turn up the radio and you are good. It does take more room than the electric motor setup. You could build your own if you are handy but the motor will cost you over $300 just for it. Look on You Tube and you can see how each work. Thanks, Eric

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Sorry Unknown1, I have limited experience with 2 800+ units and 1 Patriot. Only had them on hydraulic, was not aware of a crosshead issue on ED, and honestly my time with all 3 was limited. Let's just say I was not destined to use them, bought two Spolar units and never looked back. 1 hydraulic, 1 ED. Love them both, but then again I have a 9000E and Sizemaster and they all make a finished shell that gets it done if I do my part.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
If you're going to use the 1 whatever to selectively power multiple spolars, then hydraulic is the way to go with a quick disconnect. Doing that with an Auto Drive is an ordeal. I have an Auto Drive powering my Dillon 650, and in conjunction with an Alpha bulletfeeder, it's a joy to use, but so is my hydraulic selectively powering my two Spolars, one in 12 and another in 28. Agree with the comments above if you're using it for a single Spolar.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have both. An Auto Drive on my PW 800+ and Spolar's hydraulics on a Spolar Gold. I prefer the hydraulic. I think it is smoother, and I like how easily it disconnects for when you want to manually operate the loader.

John

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Well...you CAN if your PW's bottom crosshead stop is set too high and it prevents the motor from fully cycling. Drives ya nuts until you discover it.
DO NOT adjust the crosshead stop (index pad) to match the Auto-Drive.
ALWAYS adjust the Auto-Drive linkeage so that the Auto-Drive matches the loader.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
I believe Ponsness/Warren designed the hydraulic system for reloaders.
Ponsness/Warren discontinued hydraulics because the Auto-Drive was outselling it by a wide margin.
Does that tell you anything?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why put a Chevy engine in a Ford chassy, unless there is a good reason to do so? I'm a fan of sticking with one vendor and having one place to go if you have issues or questions.

For those reasons, I use the Spolar hydrolics on my Spolar reloader.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
There are several reasons to put an Auto-Drive on your Spolar. Cool Operation, Quiet Operation, Simple Operation, Compact Foot Print and Low Cost.

Hydraulics are old school.

·
Registered
Ktieghoff K-80 super sport one plantation, one gold super scrol
292 Posts
I like the hydraulic where I can control movement up/down at any time and like to pivot my foot so no miss steps if need to back unit a little. if U can afford a spolar gold U can afford the hydraulic (better resale)!!!!
easy disconnect less crap on top bench makes it easy to pickup any SPILLS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just added an Electric Auto Drive for my Spolar. Purchased from Jim Skeel and after a few minor adjustments, running like a champ.

The Spolar just got even better.

Jamie

1 - 20 of 60 Posts