Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So given that I turned 65 recently I have decide to treat myself to a new trap gun, probably won't make my scores better but what the heck a guy should treat himself every once in a while, my darling wife of 45 years say's go ahead honey you worked your butt of for 47 years, you deserve it, anyway I have my eye on a couple candidates and would like some input from guys that have them pros and cons.

On the list is a KX6 special, a browning BT99 Max high grade, and a Kolar max trap TS.

Unfortunately up in my neck of the frozen white north nobody that I know shoots any of them so I can't test drive them and maybe narrow it down a bit based on how they feel.

Thanks guys
Ed

·
Vendor
1,328 Posts
So given that I turned 65 recently I have decide to treat myself to a new trap gun, probably won't make my scores better but what the heck a guy should treat himself every once in a while, my darling wife of 45 years say's go ahead honey you worked your butt of for 47 years, you deserve it, anyway I have my eye on a couple candidates and would like some input from guys that have them pros and cons.

On the list is a KX6 special, a browning BT99 Max high grade, and a Kolar max trap TS.

Unfortunately up in my neck of the frozen white north nobody that I know shoots any of them so I can't test drive them and maybe narrow it down a bit based on how they feel.

Thanks guys
Ed
Try to find a locale with vendors and take a test drive on some different models. You owe it to yourself to find the “one” you will be happy with.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You will never know until you try them all but the kolar would be MY choice. Softest shooting gun I've ever shot and crushed targets. I've shot all of the ones you have mentioned. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Winchester 37 Steelbilt with a slip-on pad, add a rib and a trigger shoe. Under $800 out the door, if you can find a donor. Oh, yeah, add a lace on cheekpiece.
Worked for me in '75.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a TS and a KX6s. I like and shoot the KX6s better. It swings faster.
I would advise you to shoot them both before forking over your money.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
You owe it to yourself to try a Zoli.
My current SBT is a KX6S.
Previous was Alfermann and Ljutic.
Of those two I preferred the Ljutic but I like the KX6S better.
None of them felt as good to me as the Zoli.

·
Registered
596 Posts
As others have said, you owe it to yourself to "try" before you "buy" if possible.

Big shoots like the upcoming Spring Grand in Tucson are great venues for that as Tucson / Spring Grand has nice vendors row so you can try the one's you mentioned and others like Sietz, Ljutic, Alfermann, etc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think you’d be happy with any of those guns! I personally liked the KX6 Special a lot when I shot it. But, like other members have said, it needs to feel and shoot good for you. What gun is going to make you smile every time you open that case up? Try to make it to a large ATA shoot or if you’re retired or have some vacation days to burn just take a road trip somewhere that has a good assortment of guns to shoot. Try before you buy. I was both pleased and disgusted with how some guns performed in my search for a new gun. Good luck!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As others have said, you owe it to yourself to "try" before you "buy" if possible.

Big shoots like the upcoming Spring Grand in Tucson are great venues for that as Tucson / Spring Grand has nice vendors row so you can try the one's you mentioned and others like Sietz, Ljutic, Alfermann, etc.
Yes the plan was to travel with a buddy of mine to the spring grand in Tucson this year and shoot and fondle to help me make a good choice, however given that my leukemia flared up and I had to start treatment plus the fact that I am a Canadian citizen I could not get any medical travel insurance so that was the name of that tune, just no way you can travel to the US without insurance. I had a BT99 a few years ago and shot it well, but like most shooters I sold it and searched for something else.

Reactions: txbuba
1 - 20 of 41 Posts