Trapshooters Forum banner

New Shooting Glasses

11K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  LawDog324 
#1 ·
I have been considering getting a pair of dedicated shooting glasses for trap. So I have been looking and reading some of the past post and just general web site info.

I had seen a few top shooters on You Tube that had some nice looking glasses and after some searching found out they were Pilla. Now I would love to have a pair, but thats just way out of my price range.

I have been a long time Oakley user and have some arrays that are golf specific and they have held up very well. Having been on their web site I don't see any arrays or singles with a stated purpose of shooting. Has anyone purchased any Oakley shooting arrays?

If you know of other brands that I should consider in the Oakley price range I would be interested.

#6 ·
If you go with Decot or Rangers there are several other lens places that will make lens for those models. Saves a few bucks and betters your chances of being able to find someone to buy from some at a larger shoot.

#7 ·
I like the Oakley Tombstone shooting glasses and have two pair along with 5 lenses. They are light and moderately priced; especially compared to Pilla. Very easy to change the lenses if you need to swap. you can research them online and they’ll have quite a bit of info on the lens colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I have been using Decot glasses for trap with 4 different set of lenses for the last 30 years and they are great. But for skeet and sporting clays I use Oakley M frames and I have 2 different frames and 4 or 5 different lenses. About 5 years ago I took a major hit from a low house one broken target in the center of the left lense and the Oakley saved my sight. The lense was marked and had to be replaced, but my eye was fine. [ In hindsight I should have made a better job of breaking the target]
I don't use the Oakleys for trap as they don't work well with side shields. I find the Decots work well with side shields.
Devonian.

#12 · (Edited)
In 1994 I used Zeiss Scopz RX with Vermillion, Orange & Yellow.
They were good.

Eyewear Sunglasses Glasses Orange Personal protective equipment

About a decade ago I changed to Oakley’s. They are top notch.
I use the Prizm Golf Lens In the HJ 2.0 XL. Frames are not near as important as the lens and there are plenty of frame options.
These lenses in RX for me work under all lighting conditions. A great investment. https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9154?variant=888392075840

Look at sportsunglasses category.

Eyewear Sunglasses Glasses Personal protective equipment Vision care

#13 ·
Be aware if you go to Randolph's website (Randolph is Ranger) the cookie that they use will bomb you with their product on every website that you look at and will spam you to death for about a week, so far. Maybe there is a way to do away with the cookie thing but I for one am very tired of looking at the Randolph ad's.

#15 ·
I own a bunch of sunglasses, if you wear contacts and are involved in a variety of outdoor activity there's a need. I've been down several paths regarding shooting glasses & wasted some $ in the process but finally settled on a Decot frame that fits me well (Revel) with a medium bronze lens that covers nearly all lighting conditions well for me. Shooting glasses make a difference, the lens are wide to provide greater coverage and most importantly the frames sit off the face to avoid fogging, sweat build up, etc - at least the ones I have.
I own the Oakley Half Jacket with a Trail Prizm lens. The lens color is fantastic, especially for shooting in a wooded area (lots of pines around here). However I find Oakley's sit tighter around the face, most have some wrap to them - as such I'm constantly wiping off the lens. These work better for me on the boat or bike.

#16 ·
I started out with Decot, and liked them a lot, both the V Lite Rose and the Light Target Orange. I then tried Oakley Tombstones, which seemed to provide equal clarity as the Decot, with a bit better color and contrast.

Then I went to Pilla about a year and a half ago. The visual clarity is unsurpassed. It was worth every penny.

If I had to turn in the Pillas, I would go back to the Oakleys.

#18 ·
I knew Oakley used to make a shooting glasses array, I just couldn't remember the name. It looks as if they have been discontinued as they are not on the site now.

I have a couple of pairs of M frames that I like the style of but don't have the shooting color lens. They have changed to the 2.0 version now so I can't get any lens for my need.

Having just looked at L&M Lens, I would be more interested in the Randolph Ranger Phantom 2.0 as I prefer a more one piece wrap type lens. What I have always liked about my Oakleys' is I can push them up on the top of my head and they stay there, my Ray-bans' on the other hand would slid off when I leaned forward.

#20 ·
I have been using Decots for 17 years. Great product, great service. Blinders work well for me on them.

Reactions: ganger
#21 ·
If you're really set on Pilla's, the top of the line Outlaw X6/X7 could be bought in great condition second hand from $550 to $650 range (3 lens set) with a bit of patience. Quite a savings from $800 to $1000 new. Also, Pilla has less $$ offerings, albeit less perks, that still offer Pilla quality at much lesser cost. Consider the Vigilante AS brand new from Pilla at $389. The 560s & 580s can be had for $289 . Besides those shown below, there's other Pilla's that can be bought new in the $300 price range. Check their website.

Vigilante $389 (Single lens)

Eyewear Glasses Sunglasses Personal protective equipment Pink

560 $289 (single lens)

Eyewear Glasses Sunglasses Personal protective equipment Vision care

580 $289 (2 lens kit)

Eyewear Sunglasses Glasses Pink Personal protective equipment

#22 ·
I have seen a few shooters wearing blinders and I can only assume they are meant to center your focus and cut down on distractions. While I have excellent vision and said to have a very large peripheral vision I think I would have a hard time shooting with them. I guess it's from to much LEO training and not wanting to have tunnel vision effect me.

I looked at the Decots and while they seem nice, I just feel something that is a single wrap type lens with no or little frame top or bottom would suit me better. The fact is with my peripheral vision being what it is, I see the frame and it tend to distract me more than some movement off to the side.

I wish I could get out and try some on for fit, but due to lock down I'm looking online.

Thanks for the suggestion

#23 ·
I have been considering getting a pair of dedicated shooting glasses for trap. So I have been looking and reading some of the past post and just general web site info.

I had seen a few top shooters on You Tube that had some nice looking glasses and after some searching found out they were Pilla. Now I would love to have a pair, but thats just way out of my price range.

I have been a long time Oakley user and have some arrays that are golf specific and they have held up very well. Having been on their web site I don't see any arrays or singles with a stated purpose of shooting. Has anyone purchased any Oakley shooting arrays?

If you know of other brands that I should consider in the Oakley price range I would be interested.
Oakley type shooting glasses may look tacticool, but the are the wrong choice when you are on the line for shotgunning.

I looked at the Decots and while they seem nice, I just feel something that is a single wrap type lens with no or little frame top or bottom would suit me better. The fact is with my peripheral vision being what it is, I see the frame and it tend to distract me more than some movement off to the side.
??? There is much less frame showing on the side with Decots than with almost any Oakley. Look, you know cop glasses. We know Trap glasses. I know them all-it's my job. I understand your aversion to blinders, ok, don't wear them. The Oakley array still has the same fundamental problem for shotgunning that all Oakleys have-not enough room up top, where you are looking out of when you shoot a shotgun. This is why Decots, Randolph Rangers, and Pilla Outlaws are shaped the way they are. They are not tacticool, but they are effective for shotgunning.

#26 ·
Oakley type shooting glasses may look tacticool, but the are the wrong choice when you are on the line for shotgunning.
??? There is much less frame showing on the side with Decots than with almost any Oakley. Look, you know cop glasses. We know Trap glasses. I know them all-it's my job. I understand your aversion to blinders, ok, don't wear them. The Oakley array still has the same fundamental problem for shotgunning that all Oakleys have-not enough room up top, where you are looking out of when you shoot a shotgun. This is why Decots, Randolph Rangers, and Pilla Outlaws are shaped the way they are. They are not tacticool, but they are effective for shotgunning.
Oakley makes numerous different frames.
Never had any of the issues you mention with the frames I use. For over a decade.
Have many shooter friends that use them also. They never complain and are all very competitive shotgunners. It’s not about being cool. It’s about visual clarity. Which Oakley provides for me.

Reactions: LawDog324
#25 ·
"The Oakley array still has the same fundamental problem for shotgunning that all Oakleys have-not enough room up top, where you are looking out of when you shoot a shotgun".

My wife and I are avid cyclists and have 20+ pair of Oakley sport glasses between us and we really like them for cycling and general sun wear. But, I don't use them for shotgun shooting for precisely the reason in the above sentence. They often have a frame that dips downward above the nose pads and between the two lenses. I find it very distracting for shooting a shotgun.

#27 ·
Entropy

Let me clarify what I was referring to.

While I like most don't want to look like a goof ball standing on the range, I am looking for glasses that are safe, functional, color definition enhancing and clear field of view. I would also like to get value (not cheap) for what I pay.

I know that I will most likely not find a pair that rates top in all sections, but I hope to find some that rank high in all or most. That being said I have been wearing Oakleys' for years and over all they have preformed very well. I have hazel eyes so I tend to be a little more light sensitive than most, but now that I'm in my sixties I also suffer from dry eyes. That is one of the reasons I look for a more wrap around lens as wind drys them out even more and as a result the tear duct really flood and blur my vision.

The Ideal glasses would be the Pilla Outlaw X6 (I have a large punkin) but I can't spend that much on them. Now Oakley "made" some of similar design that have no top or bottom frame, the Tombstone line for shooting sports and includes a sporting clays set with 1 lens, case and frame. You can still find these NIB from several suppliers, and at a fraction of the price the Pilla and half the cost of the others.

Now, I did come here and ask for others opinion on options and I value each and every one that was submitted so far. I have visited most all of the web sites that showed the glasses members were recommending. I did see some that peaked my interest and I am still considering and its' not like I have to have a pair in a few days, so I'm still interested in yours and others thoughts.

Thanks

#28 ·
And many choices have been presented here.

I am looking for glasses that are safe, functional, color definition enhancing and clear field of view.
Oakley and Oakley-like and clear field of view for shotgunning are mutually exclusive. The top eye wire sits way too low. There is a reason shotgunning glasses have a large area of lens higher than any other glasses. This is where you are looking through when you shot a shotgun. (Unless you hold your head way up. Few do so.)

I am assuming you are looking for non Rx glasses here, as Rx has never been mentioned. If so, you have many more options available to you than I do with my hi-minus Rx. That said, Pilla, Randolph Engineering, and Decot have held the lion's share of both RX and non-Rx shotgunning eyewear for years, with Zeiss and Bausch & Lomb leading the way for them decades back. They work. As for color definition, that is a personal thing. Orange/pink are good colors to start with. Larger shoots, when they come back, are good places to try them out.

If you're just a 'weekend duffer' feel free to stick with Oakleys. They make excellent sunglasses. But if you bother to search this forum for threads on shooting glasses for shotgunning, invariably the names Decot, Randolph Engineering (RE), and Pilla keep coming up. Because they work.

You asked for my advice. I work in the field as an optician. My job is to set people up with glasses for the uses they specify. Those are my recommendations. You needn't follow them, but don't say I recommended less than the best options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.