Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New shooters you should start out shooting a gun that will adjust to 80/20 POI
the reason is to train on what you will eventually will be going to, so start out with it now.

You want to pick the event you want to be good at and strictly train for that.

Daro Handy says this and so does Dan Ohrlic so get ahead of the game right off.

Do not waste time, money, or shells on the 16 yd line.

Concentrate on handicap shooting that's where the money is and it is also the larger event. Why MONEY, MONEY, Money, this is where the new shooter falls down so be ahead of the game and train for the handicaps.

Make sure you have 2 choke tubes an extra full to train with and a full choke for the competition, be sure both choke tubes pattern the same place.

Make sure your full choke tube has a 25" hot center in shot pattern.

A pattern Board only gives you a one dimension indicator, what you want to see is your targets smoking targets, you need to find the shell that your gun shoots best.

My gun shoots the AA Super Handicaps best.

So try a flat of each shell you want to determine which shell your gun shoots the best.

Do not listen to what anybody says contrary to this post, it will mis lead you and cost you money and time.

PM me if you want any more information.

And thank you KIM Z for the nice PM glad I could help.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
180 Posts
You know I had a 80/20 gun. I hated it. If you have good eye site I don't think it will work very good. Saying that every new shooter should shoot that high is saying that everyones gun should have the same stock.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My gun is set up to shoot 20/80 because I prefer to shoot the targets falling. Two hole targets are too easy so letting the targets fall has kept my interest.Dan

·
Banned
996 Posts
My gun shoots about that but I recently had to send it off for repair so I'm using my sons BT99 that shoots almost flat and I'm killen it with it. Not so sure I will use mine again as they couldn't repair what I wanted repaired. I've only been shooting a little over a year. Seems like different people use what they find works for them. Seems like best fit is the best start at least it was for me but what do I know.

·
Banned
996 Posts
Here is what I have found in a years time that works for me:

Find a gun that fits, ask a pro what that means.
Mount it, mount it and mount it some more.
Practice, practice and practice some more.
Keep shooting the same gun with the same loads and don't change.

Just sayen.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
sky buster.... On that 70/20 POI, where does the "last" 10% go? Inquiring minds want to know.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
OK Gary, for the new shooters out there who are reading this thread let them know what 80/20 means and what defines that type of pattern,lets say with some data and pictures.With todays technology for taking pictures ect. it should not be to hard to do that.In your reference to shells,you are quoted here as saying that your gun shoots Winchester Super-Handicaps the best.I have not chronographed any lately but are they not rated at 1250 FPS ? Have you not posted that we should go back to a 1200 FPS shell? George

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I agree with the 80/20 high. I myself shoot 100% high and I am pleased with the results so far. I DISAGREE on needing super handicap at short yardage. To much recoil and you don't need it.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Earl, when you write "I agree with 80/20 high" do you mean, as Gary says, it's the right thing for all new shooters to try to shoot? Really? All of them?

Well, it isn't for you, you say. So are you the only exception? How do you know?

What it is, Earl, is terrible advice. To try to tell a bunch of beginning shooters you have never met and have ho idea how they shoot where their guns should shoot (other than straight right-to-left) is just crazy and this sort of complete nonsense has slowed, stopped, or ended shooting for lots of aspiring trappers who fell under the influence of the know-nothing experts at countless clubs.

I remember well John Findorf and his claim "With more experience you will be able to handle a higher-shooting gun." That's just not true and worse it, it equates higher-shooting guns with more experience and the resulting better shooting.

The vertical POI of a gun should be the one that best suits the individual shooter. To recommend any sort of blanket numerical prescription without regard to who is doing the shooting is the worst possible advice and would only be given by someone who has no idea what he is talking about. And Gary is just the fool to do it.

Neil

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
Gary I guess that being you are advocating for a new shooter to get started with a shotgun that will impact at least at 80/20 what Brands and Models will achieve that POI ?Keep in mind everyone operates on a different budget ect. as you have not posted what 80/20 POI on this thread and I would think a new shooter would want to know lets say your POI would be about 9 inches high at 40 yrds. George

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Neil I may be wrong on the 80/20 suggestion. Maybe a little to high. I suggest all shooters pattern there guns so they know were its shooting. I do believe that most trap guns should be shooting no lower than 60/40/ 70/30 for ultimate advantage in the sport. I tend to shoot quick so I like a higher impacting gun.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
MX2G,

You are able to pick a dumbest statement from his vast library? Wow, I wouldn't know where to start. I will say though, he is the master of dumb statements 2nd to none.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
It would have been a big help for a lot of us if someone would have told Bonillia's that he needed this POI. Provided he would have listened.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
Hmmmmmm again another post from the good Doctor without any hard data or research to back it up.Telling a new shooter they need a 80/20 POI without stating what 80/20 POI is or how to set you shotgun up to get it there.Or how they will benefit from the stated POI.Rathere than just throw out half completed posts please give details as this would definitely help get your point across better. George

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.