Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Practice on your handicap yardage and use a Xtra-full choke tube and shoot a pattern that will give you a hot 25inch core, forget the 30 inch patterns.

You are learning accuracy and smoking the target.

#8s only have .2 muzzle energy and 7.5s have 1.1ft lbs of energy.

7.5s give you 22% more energy to break the target.

The the hot core pattern gives you the best precision shooting edge.

The 25 inch hot core pattern are pre4cision patterns, the 30inch pattern will kill precision shooting edge and scores.

Any scores of less than 93% are due to improper gun setup.

Starting out shooting singles is an effoert in futility.

The money is all in the handicaps.

The handicap is what draws more shooters than singles, WHY that is where the money is at.

The gun clubs want you to shoot singles, WHY they make ,more money on targets thrown, it is a fallacy you must break singles before shooting Handicap.

Learn to be a handicap precision shooter, that is where the money is.

All practice should be done with an extra-full choke to build your accuracy then when shooting in competition use the full choke tube.

Shoot 7.5s on all yardage from 24-27 yds

A pattern board only gives you a single dimension indicator, judge how the shell breaks the target.

Any questions PM me for more answers.

That is why I love a gun that shoots tight patterns at my target breaking distance.

This is a lot to take in, but start shooting at your handicap because that is where the new shooters fall apart, so get ahead of them, shoot Handicap.

All the top shooters shoot hot core patterns.

Gary Bryant
DR.longshot

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Dr.Longsh!t said:<br>
"Any scores of less than 93% are due to improper gun setup."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

What?? Are you on drugs??

How do you know the shooter:

-Isn't closing their eyes?<br >
-Lifting their head?<br>
-Cross firing?<br>
-Stopping their gun?<br>

Or any of a dozen or more other things that could make a shooter shoot a 93 or less.

P.S. According to your theory above, after reviewing your handicap averages your gun needs set up correctly. Just Say'n

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Show it all matt and show us yours too, to be fair.

Post scores from my younger competitive years, Hell I am 72 yrs old and I can still burn you up on the trap range at any yardage.

Post your average card matt, mine overall blows you away come on post the next 20 years

All information came from an PITA Researcher shooter

Gary

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
What do my averages have to do with anything? You are the one telling new shooters how to shoot handicap. You are the one telling new shooters that if they can't shoot 93% their gun is not set up correctly. All this while evidently your own gun is not set up correctly. I am a self admitted average shooter at best. The difference is in me and you is, I'm not claiming to be Gods answer to trap shooting like you are. Go ahead and pat your self on the back some more. Go ahead and run down the shooters you say haven't earned their Grand Slams. Then you take a look at your own averages. The crap you posted above will not help any shooters let alone a new shooter. It's all garbage.

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh mr.know it all that is a 22% more energy, why don't you look at Mr. Russels book!!You might learn something.

Buy his book and read something and learn something instead of giving us this scientific BS of yours.

There are other testers on the block besides you.

Gary Bryant

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gary,

You really need to cool your jets. Neil is forever being the gentleman, whether you realise it or not. You nor I nor anyone else will be allowed to post inaccuracies w/o being taken to task. That is how it should be.

It's Christmas alright, but you have most of the egg on your face again w/this post and too much nogg or something where it is not helping your credibility at all. Please, give it a rest. No one here argues that harder angles are harder, but posts like this one make people wonder if you are acutely obtuse, remotely connected or 'you pick one', ad nausium. Hey, even a cylinder bore often has a hot core w/decent ammuntion, ya know? Stop it out, please.

Your ranting in nondefined or mystical absolutes does not resemble anything that I would consider encouraging or even decipherable to a new [or old]shooter. Rather it sounds like some form of nonsensical in yer cups trap salted babble. Really, it does.

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matt when you post those prior years averages they are from the 27 yard line.

The ATA gave me a gift of 4 yards I have only shot 100 there. and it was with a try out gun, not fitted to me and a poor release trigger at that.

Where I don't think you will ever make it to.

You guys can buy Mr Russells books I think it is $39.95.

Gary

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thankyou Dr. Longshot for posting. You've made hitting a nerve on some of your followers amusing. I get a kick out of reading all of this. I'm one of those new shooters. I've shot three 24's from the 16, but never a 25 yet.

I'm anxious to try two of my Ljutics which have extra full chokes. I suppose #8's will have to do from the 16, otherwise I'm liable to shoot down a helicopter.

Kim

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is where you can get the books.

Precision Trapshooting
The Trapshooters Bible

Trapshooting Secrets
What they won't tell you this Book Will

James Russell Publishing
780 Diogenes Dr,
Reno, NV 89512

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going to get me a bottle of Southern Comfort and Egg Nog, and a bottle of Seagrams Dark Honey to put in the freezer, a small amount before I go to bed

Gary

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on Matt post your scores, are you ashamed of them.

2012 on back on mine are from the 27 yard line.

Post my scores so they can all see them you started this now fulfill it completely.

We will see just how well you have done.

Gary Bryant ATA # 40-10126 started shooting 1968 that's 45 years of shooting.

I lost rookie of the year because I shot that 100 targets or so in 1968.

Gary Bryant

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
EGO EGO -- Don't you realize g.b. is going for the record of the number of DA threads in a month.
That Russel must be a hellava shooter, waiting lines for his clinics.

That gives me an idea. Why don't you start putting on clinics I am sure new shooters would travel 100's of miles and pay 1,000's of dollars just to get your tutoring. Write a book which would make the top seller list in a week.

Don't use your age as an excuse. There are Senior vets all over this country that could and would kick your butt every day and you don't see them telling the world how great they are or were. You have totally lost any respect you ever had. Give it a break.

Don

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmm, never replied to any of the good doctor's posts before this. I've never met him (that I know of, maybe I have). But it does seem like anything that he posts here immediately gets hammered. With that said, when I take the time to read a message I might just as well look for anything that could help me.

Aside from some original typos in his post what exactly did he say that was wrong? I have been told by many folks with way more experience and talent than I that handicap is where the money is. My goal should be to earn yardage if I want to take home sizeable checks. 7.5's do carry more energy to the target than 8's. Use as tight a choke as you can for practice, it builds confidence and the ink balls are very satisfying. It does seem to imply that you can go to a more wide open choke for a shoot which I would consider a mistake but he doesn't actually say that. I do think you should shoot what you practice with for the best chances.

I don't think gun clubs care one way or the other if you shoot at 16 yards or 27 yards, a target thrown is a target thrown and someone has paid for that. To them it's money regardless of where you stand.

The patterning board does just show you a single dimension about the pattern at time of impact, not what it looks like in 3 dimensions during it's flight downrange. It's about as good a tool as your going to find for deciding how to adjust your gun but as long as you remember it's imperfect and that the final tweaking has to be done shooting at birds you'll be fine. Again what did he say that was wrong?

It seems like teaching results would dictate whether or not you have to learn singles first or whether it's better to start with long yardage or something in between or even right up in front of the trap house is best. This is an opinion until real, hard results can be shown.

Like I said, I don't think I've ever met the man, I have no idea if he's a total jerk or what but it's odd that almost every submission of his results in immediate personal attacks.

No matter, Merry Christmas (belated) and Happy New Year everyone.

Greg

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have never read so much B.S. in my life from Dr. LS. My shooting for over 45 years would have been much better if I had known about shooting "the hot core" plus all the other B.S. comments he issued. He claims to be such a great shooter but I never heard of him until I saw his "BOASTING" posts here!

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.