Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I am new to trap shooting. I just got my first firearm a few days ago, it's an 12ga O/U made by CZ. I'm looking for some tips from more experienced shooters, like what chokes to use, ammunition ect. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Safety first. Learn the range rules, and then learn the trap ettiquette. Next work on gun fit and technique. Research stuff on Youtube. Look for the professional videos, not the backyard bubba videos. Once you have gotten that far, then worry about shells and chokes. Just use shells that are allowable at your range, usually #7 1/2 or #8, and screw in a Modified choke. If you miss a target, it won't be because of the shell or the choke. Welcome to the sport and the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Safety first. Learn the range rules, and then learn the trap ettiquette. Next work on gun fit and technique. Research stuff on Youtube. Look for the professional videos, not the backyard bubba videos. Once you have gotten that far, then worry about shells and chokes. Just use shells that are allowable at your range, usually #7 1/2 or #8, and screw in a Modified choke. If you miss a target, it won't be because of the shell or the choke. Welcome to the sport and the forum.
Will do, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I suggest you shoot 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot at 1145 f/s to start with.

Also get to the patterning board or if your range does not have one ask if you can shoot at an empty target box at 13 yards in a safe area designated by the range. Create a Point Of Aim on the box, mount the gun, focus on the POA and fire. 1 inch high equates to about a 60/40 pattern at 30 yards. Hopefully you do not have a right/left problem. Do this for both barrels and all your chokes in each barrel. This tells you where you are shooting. If you find that the gun is not shooting where you think it should, you should then shoot from a rest and actually aim (focus on the front bead and align it with the POA). This will tell you where the gun is shooting.

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest you shoot 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot at 1145 f/s to start with.

Also get to the patterning board or if your range does not have one ask if you can shoot at an empty target box at 13 yards in a safe area designated by the range. Create a Point Of Aim on the box, mount the gun, focus on the POA and fire. 1 inch high equates to about a 60/40 pattern at 30 yards. Hopefully you do not have a right/left problem. Do this for both barrels and all your chokes in each barrel. This tells you where you are shooting. If you find that the gun is not shooting where you think it should, you should then shoot from a rest and actually aim (focus on the front bead and align it with the POA). This will tell you where the gun is shooting.

Jason
Ok thank you.

·
5,388 Posts
What's your previous shotgunning experience?

Regards and welcome,

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If you are serious about becoming a competitive trapshooter, I would recommend Leo Harrison's instructional video. Leo continues to hold ATA records since his passing two years ago. His DVD about shooting singles/handicap follows the format that he used in his clinics. I continue to sell them. You can see a clip on Youtube. If interested email me at [email protected]
Welcome to the best sport on earth!
Karla

·
Registered
337 Posts
Along with what everyone else has mentioned when you go to the range ask the puller/ or the person running it to see if they can set the thrower to straightaways and work on station 3 till you hit targets good. Then leaving the trap straight move around to the rest of the stations and work from there. Welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would definitely 2nd Karla about Leo's DVD's . His dvd 's are invaluable and his teaching is very easy to follow and understand . His clinics were the only ones I was not able to attend out of the top shooters that hold them but I took away so much from his video's that it's hard to describe . Leo is still considered by many to still be the best of the best even tho he has passed , so trust me buddy get his DVD's asap and you won't be sorry I can assure you .

ADAM

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Listen to experienced shooter who shoot fairly well. Don't let anyone tell you what kind of gun is THE BEST. Try a few and make up your own mind. Watch some instructional videos. Follow some really good shooters down the line and watch them. Don't get saturated with information overload. Take it one step at a time. Most of all HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to Trap shooting, there are a bunch of real good people on this site, who are always willing to help a new shooter. Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts