Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just started shooting trap with the team's loaner autos. Most of the time now we try to get the same gun. Opinions needed is should I get a decent field auto (a300,V3 etc...) and pull a beartooth comb riser to start? Unfortunately, I don't have a shotgun already that he can use so buying is a must just not sure if I need to go out and buy good trap gun like a BT99 or O/U at this point. He is 13 years old about 5'4". Beartooth comb riser is just to pick up POI a bit. He would prefer to be able see the target a little over covering it completely. Just getting some opinions cause I see people still shooting field autos in there second or third season and do great with them so makes me thing we really need a true trap gun just yet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Many people recommended the skb, there are mixed feelings about them on this site. We found a 391 teknys with reduced lop that is working out great for the 15 year old , the 10 year old is still using a mossberg sa20 compact until he grows a bit older and bigger before switching to a 12. Semis dampen recoil and that is a plus for growing skeletons.

I understand not wanting to invest into a trap gun, kids change their minds and activities, a reasonable gun that can be fitted to them that is reliable is a good approach when they are starting up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You might want to reconsider on the SKB......they don’t have good triggers and resale on them if you decide to get something better later is NOT good.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'd look into the Micro BT-99, with adjustable comb, and they have a trade in program for when he out grows it, or you can easily sell it to a younger kid's family, to finance his next gun.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
read stock fit books by Rollin Oswald and Jeff Meloy
Understanding gun fit is important, but understanding YOUR kid is more important. Ask yourself, “Is this a one-n-done?” Meaning is this the latest fad that lasts a season or less or is this a sport he aspires to? You know deep down inside... that little voice that’s speaking to you; is telling you the truth. Don’t ignore it.

Firearms are just like any other tool. Do you buy a Snap-On screwdriver or a no-name screwdriver that breaks it’s first time out?... or something in between the two?

The rule that crap in = crap out applies to just about everything. Buy a solid used tool for the job and see where this goes. Crap in = crap out. Guns with a poor reputation HAVE EARNED that distinction. Frustration with poor fit and performance of the tool will probably drive him out of the sport quickly.

If you want to spend money faster then a shooting sport, take up racing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First thank you for all the info. How is the BT-99 on recoil with just the reg. Stock butt plate? Using standard target loads.

·
Registered
394 Posts
We have 7 1st year shooters that have the Beretta a300 synthetic, the synthetic has 3 different settings for length of pull, and all have the bear tooth comb riser. Local gunsmith added mid beads on them as well. Whole setup for around 640.00, great entry level gun. Shawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, seems like a new 13 year old shooter is probably better off with an auto so they don't get discouraged or start focusing on recoil instead of learning to hit the target. Would a pump be equal to the recoil of a break action? I can have him try a pump more easily then a break action.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have 7 1st year shooters that have the Beretta a300 synthetic, the synthetic has 3 different settings for length of pull, and all have the bear tooth comb riser. Local gunsmith added mid beads on them as well. Whole setup for around 640.00, great entry level gun. Shawn
How is the beartooth working for them? Did raise the POI for them? Does the pad move on them at all?

·
Registered
394 Posts
How is the beartooth working for them? Did raise the POI for them? Does the pad move on them at all?
Works great, is it perfect? No. But for a 1st year shooter it is fine, different thickness pads to choose the proper height. I had them use double face tape on the pad and stays in place well, the skb rs 400 is gaining popularity as well but at a grand i would spend the extra and upgrade to a Browning cxt micro if he can handle it. Bt99 is a great gun but from experience in a year or two he will want to try doubles. Lots of opinions and options to mull over this is just my 2 cents, good luck and good job getting your son out shooting. Shawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New to new the Citori cxt is about $1k or more than the SKB with same features. But I know quality does cost. Concerning recoil does 1/2 a pound heavier gun in weight make a big difference when comparing a auto to a break action assuming the same load is shot?

·
Registered
239 Posts
A gas operated semi-auto will have less recoil than a break action or pump of the same or close to the same weight.
A gas operated semi-auto will have less recoil than an inertia operated shotgun.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What kind and action of gun doesnt matter as much as fit of the gun!
If the gun doesnt fit the shooter he/she most likely won't hit consistantly!
FIT=HIT!
most shooters could hit any clay target with any gun, occasionally! Fit a gun to them and they can hit any clay target consistantly.

Just because you like it or some one at the club mentioed one or a salesman told you does not mean a new shooter can hit consistantly.

Take whatever advice you want, I've coached and seen lots of kids over the years and most of them have to be trained over from what their dad, gramps or uncle taught them. Most of what they are taught applies to hunting situations, not trapshooting!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, seems like a new 13 year old shooter is probably better off with an auto so they don't get discouraged or start focusing on recoil instead of learning to hit the target. Would a pump be equal to the recoil of a break action? I can have him try a pump more easily then a break action.
A pump gun should be pretty close to the same recoil as a break considering they are close in weight if you wanted to try a pump to test recoil. Load selection should be something to test at the same time as you there is no doubt some will be way to stout for an average 13 year old. Lighter loads may be just fine for them but keep in mind they may need to shoot multiple rounds and that can take a toll.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
First thank you for all the info. How is the BT-99 on recoil with just the reg. Stock butt plate? Using standard target loads.
A standard bt 99 won't beat him up too bad IF IT FITS reasonably. I have had four of them of different vintage. They are well balanced target crushers for sure but I ended up putting recoil reduction on three of them in order to keep my head down and stay in the gun. You're results may vary. I know plenty of guys that shoot them just fine right out of the box.

Bill

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Ultimately if he pursues the sport he will grow out of what ever you are going to buy for him so you either get something that is a bit modular that he can grow with such as say a Remington 1100 where you can get different stocks easily or get say a BT 99 micro that once he grows out of it you can sell it to another youth shooters parents.

My wife is 5" 2" and about 110 pounds and she shoots a micro with 1 oz of 8s at 1180 fps and does not have issues with recoil. If you use the right ammunition he will be fine.

·
Registered
Perazzi MX10 RS
97 Posts
Do they make the a300 in a left handed model? All I could see online was that the safety was reversible...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts