Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New shooter considering BT-99 wondering 32 or 34?

5K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  oleolliedawg 
#1 ·
Caught the bug a month ago, and after research done here, am contemplating the purchase of a BT-99 with an adjustable comb. A friend recommended sticking with a 34 inch barrel........but I thought I'd test the waters here and see what some others would recommend.
I'm currently (!) a xxxl standing 5'8 with a low center of gravity :) . I've been shooting an 870 with a 28 inch barrel and though the recoil isn't bothering my shoulder, my cheek sure is a bit sore for a day or two after a few rounds.

I appreciate any direction you can offer.....

Thom

#5 ·
Today my 14 yr old Son shot his 34" BT-99 for the first time. I bought it from Sport Shooter last week.

My Son is 5'3, 150 .lbs. He's been shooting trap for a year and his average last trap season with a 30" Stoeger Comp was a 38/50 @ 16 yds.

He hasn't pulled a trigger since last May.

We didn't have a chance to pattern the gun, so I eye-balled the comb to match the Stoeger he shot last year.

With an IM @ 16 yds, he shot a 21/25 and with a full @ 22 yds shot a 19/25. 40/50 for the first time he's shot in 4 months along with a shooting a new gun isn't too bad.

One of the problems he's always had is a tendency to stop his swing. With this 34" barrel it appears he continues though with his swing better, so I'm glad I went with the 34" barrel.

Craig

#7 ·
Get the 34" now or wish you had later. I think the 34's feel more well balanced and like the others said resale will be better. I'm only 5'6" and shot a BT99 34" model for several years. I now shoot a 34" Beretta 682 Gold E. You will have no issues with your size and the length of the gun. JM2C--Matt

#9 ·
I would prefer th 34 inch barrel but others might prefer the 32 inch barrel. The 34 inch barrel does offer a longer sighting plane. This could slightly increase accuracy when testing the POI by shooting the gun from a bench. It cannot make any difference when shooting on the line. Objects at both 32 inches and 34 inches will be way out of focus when you are looking at a target 30 yards away. If you are looking at your sight instead of the target, again a sight 32 or 34 inches away makes no difference, you will miss the target with either of them.

Pat Ireland

#12 ·
Been there, done that. 8 or 10 BT's and several other guns later I say 34 all the way.

Only exception would be a lady or a wee man.

Forget for kids, darn - they grow.

But I did shoot my first handicap 50 with a 32.

The above comments for 34 are on the mark.

HM

#13 ·
Thanks for the comments provided so far.....JUST the kind of experience-based information I'm seeking!

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a 'hands-on' within an hour or so
of Stroudsburg, PA. ( I haven't stopped in to Dunkelbergers yet, but they're on the list...)

~~~~~~~~<'{{><

#16 ·
The only reason I would ever recommend to someone to purchase a 32" instead of a 34" is the following. If your less than 5 feet tall, and have very little physical arm strength. The 32 inch barrel is harder to sell, harder to make a trade, etc. If you plan to shoot handicap, make sure you get the 34 inch. Anyone who recommends the 32inch over a 34inch is either selling a 32inch barrel gun, or is the size of a munchkin, or in physical ill health, or extremely old or disabled. Now lets hear it from all the great shooters that shoot 32 inch barrels and mess up this guy but good.
Steve Balistreri

#19 ·
Barrelbulge.......

Thank you for the most generous offer. Though I don't see a trip out to see 'younze' will be possible for a while now that my school year has begun, I'll keep it in mind and would welcome a visit if you find yourself in the Poconos/Lehigh Valley area.

~~<'{{><

#20 ·
IMHO there is not much difference 32 or 34 the big issue is the trend to 34 inch barrels making resale favor 34 inch barrels.If I shot a 32 better or got a super deal on a 32 I would buy it. I also would look at the used market as the older guns were made much better than the new models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.