Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATA / Suggested handicap system
Our local Bass Pro Store is proposing an associate Trap Shooting club / league.
Can anyone tell me what is the simplest ( I know that's a laugh) handicap system if we were to use one which I think would be needed since there will likely be new, not so new and accomplished shooters involved.
Thank in advance
John Sero / WIN101

·
5,391 Posts
My league meister, Scott Calhoun, who is a regular poster here and runs our singles, doubles and wobble leagues, employs a Lewis type system based upon raw scoring.

If we have 30 shooters, 2-3 might compete for HOA and the rest are split into 4-5 classes, with the top two in each class earning Champ and RU...

If we shoot for 8 weeks, we have to shoot at least 7 weeks, if we shoot all eight, we get to drop our lowest score.

Even the newbies win against similar ability...

Regards all,

·
Registered
401 Posts
We shoot a handicap league, 25 targets from 22 yards the first shoot. Then from whatever your previous score was, with 18 yard minimum from then on. Two 6 week halfs, count your high four scores from each half to determine awards.(high lady etc.). Each club counts their high five scores of the night to determine a weekly winning club, and a league champion at the end of the season. Been doing this since 1948. Sometimes as many as 36 squads on a Friday night. Wes

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Having run one for 13 years, I detest leagues utilizing handicapped scoring. Nowhere else in life (except perhaps the welfare system) is mediocrity rewarded but I understand that every shooter needs a carrot of some kind in front of him/her.

If you are going to handicap scores, DO NOT just keep adding new scores to the old total and re-averaging them. That way, all someone has to do is sandbag twice and a high handicap for the remainder of the season is pretty much guaranteed. Conversely, a newer shooter is penalized excessively for a long time by pulling one good score out of his hat. After four scores are entered, use the highest three and after five scores, discard the highest and lowest of the last five scores each week, thereby using the remaining three latest scores as the shooter's current true average score for establishing a handicap. That way, the two problem examples in this paragraph cannot happen - to sandbag, a shooter will have to enter two bad scores every five shoots, thereby ruining his chances of helping his team and winning a season-ending award and the lesser shooters don't pay a high price for realizing and enjoying occasional success.

Next, use 48 or even 47 (given a 50-target format) as the highest score with handicap. Many leagues use 49 (ours did) and your better shooters will loose interest after seeing shooters with high handicaps entering much lower raw scores have the same handicapped average. They want to see their better scores count for something for their team and themselves; additionally, a lower maximum score with handicap drastically reduces the number of weekly and season-ending ties in scores. The raw 48s and 49s make a difference; with a maximum of 49, only perfect scores do.

A point system seems like an interesting way to rank teams but it has a major flaw. Let's say two teams are tied with three shoots left. Team A wins each of the first two shoots by one target over Team B, giving it a two-point lead over Team B. But Team B wins the last shoot by four targets, giving it a two-target lead over Team A. Regardless, Team A would win by one point even though Team B broke more targets.

I much prefer scratch scoring with high total scores used to rank teams weekly and for the season but all the shooters classified by average - every ten shooters from highest average on down in a class - for a "money" or "trophy" shoot at season's end. All classes would shoot for the purse in its class and all classes should have the same amount of money or prizes allocated to it. I always held that shoot at the winning club, thus giving that club a financial reward for winning.

There are lots of ways to run a league but that is my input on the subject based upon many years of running winter and summer leagues.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts