Trapshooters Forum banner

New Reloader

2303 19
Started my 10 year old Grandson shooting trap this summer so this week we are starting the reloading lessons. He is very attentive and a fast learner.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
13,497 Posts
Keep your eyes on him for the first couple of times. Its hard to get mess up too much on a single stage Mec!!! I'm sure he'll do just fine. I too started loading for my father and myself at 12 yrs. old. Have him load some soft shooting loads when you get him going. Good Luck to the both of you. break em all jeff

· Registered
304 Posts
That’s awesome to see, the seeds have been planted. Takes me back 21 years ago when dad started me at the age of 14. His old tried and true 600jr. After about 1000 rounds he had me step to the side so he could enjoy his new 9000. 10 years later I purchased my own 9000.

· Registered
216 Posts
Great to see the kids learning all aspects of clay shooting. I started "helping" dad at around age 8 by handing him wads and boxing the finished shells. By the time I was strong enough to pull the handle and pop the finished shell out of the final station on a single stage lee load all I thought I was a pro (probably around age 12). Then it was my job to keep us in shells so we could shoot. A simpler time but taught responsibility and self reliance. If I wanted to shoot I had to load my shells. Kinda like paying the mortgage later in life if I wanted a house. Seems we could use a few of those simple lessons taught today.

· Registered
182 Posts
My Dad was primarily a rifle shooter, avid reloader. and shotguns were mostly a sideline. I wasn't strong enough to resize 30.06 cases so I started priming and seating bullets cases on a RCBS A-2 press. (Still have the press) I was interested in loading shotshells. Dad had a set of, I think, 12ga Hollywood dies for the A-2 press and an electric Iron to straighten the paper hulls. (Still have those as well!) I loaded paper hulls and fibre wads. I'm guessing this was about 1962-64 when I was 10-12. Been loading rifle, pistol and shotshell ever since. I taught my son reloading when he was about 14 (too interested in surfing earlier) He is now a avid shooter and loads everything EXCEPT Shot shells. HIS SON, is only 5 mos old and I can sense he'll be a reloader as well. At least I know my son will teach him. Seems like this is a generational affliction!

· Registered
3,901 Posts
My son was about 2½ when he "started helping " me reload. He helped me go fom 13 shells per minute to about 3 or 4/minute. Unfortunately, he doesn't shoot much and he mainly unloads shells when he handles shells.

· Premium Member
94 Posts
My 9 year old loves to make a box on the sizemaster. It takes him about an hour and he dumps a few ounces of shot each time, but the time we have together is worth it. He’s already turning into a crimp snob😂
Drill presses Videographer Engineering Video camera Riveting machines

Years ago when I shot a ton of USPSA my then 10 year old daughter would load my ammo on my Dillon 1050…good times!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.