Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a Mec 9000 12 ga machine already that I’ve had for years. Are still as good ? Better ? Any new reloaders out there ? Btw I’m looking for a 20 ga.
Thx.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there are "better", but its going to cost you. Why not another Mec 9000, since you have bushings and are familiar with quirks?
Yes I know was just throwing that out there. Makes sense to stay with the same make. Maybe this one hydraulic ?? Lol.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
"Better" is a very subjective term. We all start with an empty hull and hopefully end up with a loaded shell..... From what I have seen, most produce a great end result... you should decide how heavy you wish to invest in what happens in between. My machine does just great. I do suggest you look into hydraulic (or electric) operation for whatever you decide on.... sure makes life easy................... Larry

·
Registered
683 Posts
Skattergun makes a good point. Most of us, unless we shoot a lot of skeet or sporting clays, don't shoot a lot of 20ga. That being the case, look around for a used 20ga Grabber. All the knowledge you've gathered with your 9000 will be useful, the price will be right, and you can still load plenty fast.

How much do you shoot your 20a, you need a progressive press?

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
If you have a process that requires several machines, there is a benefit to having them all the same. Consistency of operation, learning curve, adjustment familiarity, and spare fixture, supplies and spare parts interchangeability are of great benefit.

If you have a collection for the love of collecting, the widest differences and variety satisfy that desire, of course that does not make the supply of reloads efficient.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I know a guy with a Dillion sl900 with 20ga setup who is willing to part with it. I can ask him about $ if your interested.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You are good with what you have. Better is a personal opinion. As such, take the advice/opinion as you will. IMO, there is better. Since you already have a press. No sense in spending more money

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the money, nothing beats a 9000 hydraulic if possible. With a quick disconnect you can switch machines in 10 seconds. I can make over 750 shells in an hour.
This is the direction I’m heading. If I get a hydraulic 20 I’ll convert my 12 also. Only makes sense. I think you can hook both up at the same time so you don’t have to disconnect and switch.
Thx.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can't connect both at the same time unless you have a valve to be able to turn one off when using the other. Otherwise, you're compressing both when you press the hydraulic paddle. It is super quick to use the quick release plus you don't have to have multiple machines on your work table. I keep three machines under the bench table and one on my reloading table. Literally, the switch takes 10 seconds

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't connect both at the same time unless you have a valve to be able to turn one off when using the other. Otherwise, you're compressing both when you press the hydraulic paddle. It is super quick to use the quick release plus you don't have to have multiple machines on your work table. I keep three machines under the bench table and one on my reloading table. Literally, the switch takes 10 seconds
I do, I have a directional control valve for that purpose. Once I get my garage finished I’ll have a dedicated reloading area that will have enough room for 2/3 machines plus cleaning maintenance space. Just need to convert my non hyd reloader over.
Thx for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts