Trapshooters Forum banner

New Ranger Riact AI lens

5273 Views 33 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  greengael
Anyone tried the new Ranger Riact AI lenses? Worth the $200+ per lens?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
432 Posts
What do they do that the regular lenses don't? I like the Ranger Edge frames, and have several sets of prescription lenses for them.

Never heard of the Riact............

Ric

· Registered
85 Posts
i heard about them on a podcast and then got my hands on them at the Cardinal Classic. from the podcast, they said they dont know when/if prescription lenses will be available. when i checked out the plano lenses in person i was super impressed with the clarity of the lenses. there is only 3 lenses and colors are like a cool lime for low light, a light pink for medium light, and darker pink or maybe purpleish pink for bright light. so if these colors dont work for you, then youre kinda out of luck. or if you need Rx, then who knows when they will be available.

6,495 Posts
No and I don't see it...

I just added a couple standard lenses during the black friday deal... however for $200+ they better give me Xray vision...

If they can help someone, OK... but the standard and CMT lenses are serving me well... take a test drive before shelling out a couple Benjamin's per color...

· Premium Member
542 Posts
I used to shoot Pillas and had 5+ lenses, I made the switch over to Ranger, been happier with having a smaller lens pool to choose from and less to think about.

For the riact lenses, I think the dark and medium lenses are great, I use them 95% of the time, the low light riact lenses Im not the biggest fan of

· Premium Member
542 Posts
What do they do better than the traditional lenses? Better highlighting or less glare?
I believe the intent for the riact lenses, is rather than introducing a lot of different color and tint variations they went the route of providing the best lens for detail/clarity.

heres a video showing a bit about them, take it for what it's worth but it's a good video

· Premium Member
8,302 Posts
What do they do better than the traditional lenses? Better highlighting or less glare?
Clarity and definition of target.

I have a squad mate that has every (serious here) color/spectrum of color/degree of tint that Pilla offers and in my opinion the Riact lenses provide better enhancement of the target.

· Registered
772 Posts
I’ve wasted more money on shooting glasses than I care to admit. IMO lens and chokes are the most over thought things in shooting. Ranger lens are very good and are on par with Pilla as far as clarity. In that regard their cost should be comparable. I think Pilla has better frame options. As for the lens themselves...mostly marketing. That said, I own set of Pilla Panthers (I have owned Rangers as well) mostly for the frame and clarity. Buy a quality set (from either company) with a lens for bright, medium and low light and be done with it because next year these companies will introduce the “next thing”. If the past is any guide, the “next thing” in lens technology won’t make you a better it shooter...just a little lighter in the wallet. YRMV

6,495 Posts
Randolph lenses are made by Zeiss... If you got a great lens and an imperfect eye, what have you got?! How much clarity difference can there be from the same manufacture?!

If Zeiss is putting their name and rep on the lenses, you know damn well they won't put out inferior product.

6,495 Posts
Randolph does not use the same Zeiss lens company as does Pilla. I believe there was a copyright law suit.
I dug in a bit further, you are correct... Pilla and Zeiss use a difference material formulation for the Pilla lenses than Randolph Engineering.

That said, Carl Zeiss Vision lens material is no slouch.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
just an FYI - WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, and Bisphenol-A, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX 2000 combo, tiger stripe,
664 Posts
just an FYI - WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, and Bisphenol-A, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Ha ha taking advice from commiefornia

1 - 20 of 34 Posts