Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the new LMG (Light machine gun) for the Army. 223 incased in a plastic case, no brass, no exposed bullet. Weight is next to nothing and the plastic burns off during the firing of the shell. The only part extracted is the used primer. The LMG (mostly plastic) will replace the SAW (brass bullets). Total weight for the gun and 1000 rounds is 31 LBS.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Also, getting the lead out....

The U.S. Army is taking the expression “get the lead out” quite literally and switching to lead-free, environmentally-friendly bullets.

The Army’s Picatinny Arsenal is working on a “green” version of the M80A1 7.62 mm bullet, which troops are supposed to start being issued in 2014, according to an Army press release.

The Army has been looking to “green” small caliber ammo for some time now. In 2010, the Army switched to the greener 5.56 mm M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round.

“The EPR replaces the lead slug with a copper slug,” said Lt. Col. Phil Clark, product manager for small caliber ammunition in the Program Executive Officer Ammunition. “This makes the projectile environmentally-friendly, while still giving soldiers the performance capabilities they need on the battlefield. So far we have eliminated 1,994 metric tons of lead from 5.56 ammunition production.”

“Thirty-two grains of lead are eliminated per M855A1 projectile, and 114.5 grains of lead will be eliminated per M80A1 projectile,” according to the Army.

The Army projects that the use of green 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm ammunition could eliminate the purchase of 3,683 metric tons of lead between 2013 and 2018.

Green bullets, like the M855A1, have been touted for their enhanced performance standards, such as better hard-target penetration, more consistent performance against soft targets and significantly increased distances of these effects.

Officials also expect a similar “greening” to occur with the 7.62 mm version. However, reports from after the M855A1 ammo came out cast some doubts on green bullet performance.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/24/getting-the-lead-out-literally-u-s-army-plans-switch-to-green-bullets/#ixzz2kjHc8efN

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Your tax dollars at work? I wonder who the left wing loon was who came up with this brainstorm.

Must be worried about giving terrorists lead poisoning!

Bob

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
This technology was "invented" during the Viet Nam era. Actually, a classmate of mine was key to the development. He was never allowed to discuss it in any way and, although we were good friends, he never did. I believe that the first weapons they worked on in the development precess were things like the Recoiless Rifle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Does this mean we can expect to see our shot prices start to come down? Supply and demand for lead?

I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Back to the original topic of caseless ammo, and new LMG.

shot410ga,

Is this what you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Well,a friend of mine was shown a bullet that's supposed to be top secret,,,???,,,center core was titanium,,,it will pierce anything,,,the creators of it believe it or not,are now trying to develop something to stop it..All government funded of course.

diug H.(pa)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts