Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've not been an active trapshooter for a while, life got in the way. Back in the 80s, I managed the St. Joe Valley trap club north of Fort Wayne, Indiana. We had league shooting and ATA registered shoots there. Now that I'm semi-retired, I have more time and I'm looking to become more active in shooting sports again.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding clubs in western Kentucky? We live on Lake Barkley.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to participating here.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Christian County Quail Club. Hopkinsville Ky.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Go on the ATA web ( site ) and use your zipcode and then plus 50 or 75 miles . All clubs that shoot ATA pop up

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
I was raised in that area. Very thin for registered trap shooting in those parts. Christian County Quail Club over around Hopkinsville, KY. may still be shooting registered birds . 270) 839-1198 ----- In TN. Nashville Gun Club out on Briley Parkway is about 100 miles from you. (615) 742-5297 They shoot quite a bit of registered Trap. ----For practice a good place is Calvert City Gun Club down at Possum Trot, KY. (270) 703-2693. Calvert City Gun Club is fairly close to you. Hope that helps. Glad you made it down to God's country. Lots of great fishing on Barkley and Kentucky Lakes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We like living in Kentucky a lot. We bought the house in 2014, and moved in 2015 so that my stepdaughter could finish high school up north. I ride bicycles and motorcycles so I've enjoyed the relative lack of straight roads and the hills. Land Between the Lakes has some great road and mountain biking trails, and I've ridden motorcycles many thousands of miles in Kentucky.

I'll check out the local clubs, and Nashville is relatively close, about an hour and a half away. I need to get my rhythm back before I shoot ATA events, but I was shooting very well before my "life-induced" time away from the sport.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some property in Jennings County, Indiana between Seymour and North Vernon south of US-50. Spent a lot of Saturday evenings shooting trap at Coffee Creek in Commiskey. Has anyone here shot there?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Welcome back.
The ATA site will tell you what you need to know but a lot of clubs do not have their 2020 schedule posted yet.
Something new is the big 50, check it out and good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have some property in Jennings County, Indiana between Seymour and North Vernon south of US-50. Spent a lot of Saturday evenings shooting trap at Coffee Creek in Commiskey. Has anyone here shot there?
No but I shoot at st Joe alot. I'm not sure who you are but that Place could sure use some one to run the place like back then! To nice of a Place to only have 30 people show up for ata shoot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No but I shoot at st Joe alot. I'm not sure who you are but that Place could sure use some one to run the place like back then! To nice of a Place to only have 30 people show up for ata shoot.
I stopped by last summer and it's changed a lot from when I ran the place. I was there from about 1980 through 1986 when I moved to Illinois. At that time we only had 4 traps but we had good customers and everyone had a good time. The Magnavox trap league shot there on Wednesday evenings and I was able to shoot as my Dad worked at Magnavox. Over the years I've lost touch with most of the guys but have good memories of shooting bushwackers and annie oakleys. I still remember white targets after dark and the smell of smoke after a round. Good memories of shooting with my Dad.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Welcome.

Here’s a link for all your clay shooting venues no matter where you venture: Home - Clay Targets Online

Other than that you’ll need to have at the ready, thick skin, a sense of humor. On file, an opinion on:

• #7 1/2 or #8
  • Choke size: singles & ‘caps
  • Best color lens in your glasses
  • Best gun (hoping it ain’t TriStar)
  • A recent picture (selfie) 300x300 minimum
There’s probably a few others I can’t think of at the moment... Oh yeah, are you a troll?... something else I’m sure I’m missing. It’ll come to me.

What ever, buckle up and enjoy the ride!
KA2BLG

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome.

Other than that you’ll need to have at the ready, thick skin, a sense of humor. On file, an opinion on:

• #7 1/2 or #8
  • Choke size: singles & ‘caps
  • Best color lens in your glasses
  • Best gun (hoping it ain’t TriStar)
  • A recent picture (selfie) 300x300 minimum
Thanks for the welcome.

7 1/2 or 8 - doesn't matter much.

Choke - all of my single-barrel guns are full, bottom barrel on the O/U is modified.

Lens color - I prefer clear so I can see.

Best gun - I don't keep the ones I don't like, so any of the ones I have.

Picture - I don't like to provide evidence for the prosecution.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
20 minutes south of Hopkinsville Ky is a little 2 trap club that has produced multiple All Americans and youth shooting teams that have won nationally.
Todd County Gun Club
Henry

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I love western Kentucky. I lived in Paducah, Kentucky for a while and really enjoyed it.
Southerners are great people.
I wanted to move back to Paducah when I retired but my wife wanted to live near her grandkids in Iowa.
I foolishly gave in and honored her wishes!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello,

I've not been an active trapshooter for a while, life got in the way. Back in the 80s, I managed the St. Joe Valley trap club north of Fort Wayne, Indiana. We had league shooting and ATA registered shoots there. Now that I'm semi-retired, I have more time and I'm looking to become more active in shooting sports again.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding clubs in western Kentucky? We live on Lake Barkley.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to participating here.
Do you remember Bob Lehman? He was my uncle who passed this summer. He ran his only hundred straight there from the 20 yrd line!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love western Kentucky. I lived in Paducah, Kentucky for a while and really enjoyed it.
Southerners are great people.
I wanted to move back to Paducah when I retired but my wife wanted to live near her grandkids in Iowa.
I foolishly gave in and honored her wishes!
Our house on Lake Barkley is for sale and we plan to move to Paducah. My wife is a quilter and she's up to Paducah fairly often - Hancock's for fabric and the quilt museum. We like the homes on Jefferson Avenue, the older Victorian houses. I'm pretty sure that's where we will wind up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you remember Bob Lehman? He was my uncle who passed this summer. He ran his only hundred straight there from the 20 yrd line!
I'm sorry, I don't recall that name. I remember Frank Neidigh, Bob Uetrecht, Ken Johnson, Lynn Lake, Denny Coulardot, Dick Sickmiller, Terry Roethele. Probably a few others if I thought about it for a while.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts