Trapshooters Forum banner

New MEC high volume primer feed

2894 39
I have an older MEC 650 and the primer feed would no longer feed so I bought a new MEC high volume feed and It will not work on my 650 in that it will not feed the primers so I decided to press the feed slide by hand. It is now laying on my bench with a primer stuck in the drop position sideways. Really this is the second one as I was able to dislodge the first.

Has anyone had any lucl with this feed with a 650.

Thanks
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
It should work. You may not have enough angle on tray, or the slide mechanism isn't going far enough to drop tube. Also, lightly spray the bottom of tray with Pledge to make it slick.
His machine doesn’t have the actuator flap that presses the feeder button. He’ll have to fab one and attach it to his loader links like the other, newer loaders. He needs the circled part, attached to the lever so it actuated the primer feed slide.
Product Input device Font Gadget Technology

· Registered
119 Posts
If the new 200 count primer feeder was purchased new, there should be an actuator flap supplied in the box with the appropriate mounting screws to attach to the linkage. I added one of these to an 8567 grabber. It works 99% of the time, there is the occasional primer that gets stuck in the drop tube/slide bar interface, but with enough fiddling I can get it unstuck and continue loading.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I have an older MEC 650 and the primer feed would no longer feed so I bought a new MEC high volume feed and It will not work on my 650 in that it will not feed the primers so I decided to press the feed slide by hand. It is now laying on my bench with a primer stuck in the drop position sideways. Really this is the second one as I was able to dislodge the first.

Has anyone had any lucl with this feed with a 650.

Thanks
Solved my aggravation problem with this 200 tray set up by going back to the spring 100 tray and selling that aggravation. Almost 50 years experience with MEC loaders and this was the 1st time i surrendered.

· Premium Member
13,743 Posts
Solved my aggravation problem with this 200 tray set up by going back to the spring 100 tray and selling that aggravation. Almost 50 years experience with MEC loaders and this was the 1st time i surrendered.
Me, too. I decided it just wasn't worth the aggravation.

· Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Me, too. I decided it just wasn't worth the aggravation.
You guys are not alone.

Bought one for one of my Grabbers when they first came out.. Well that was a nightmare so figured I must have a defective one and bought another. Well what those two did was put me on the hunt for the old spring loaded 100 trays. Bought a lifetime supply and then some.

· Registered
48 Posts
I’m 100% with on this. The MEC large plastic primer feed tray is a design mess. They need to rework this thing so it doesn’t hang up as often or drop primers off-kilter that hop upside down. I’ve waxed the tray, aligned it as carefully as possible and I still have to watch it like a hawk for incorrectly fed primers on my 9000. All this was after driving my reloader all the way to Mayville WI to have the service techs install it while replacing some other worn reloader parts. That was a big mistake. I was so frustrated with it that it almost got pulled off and thrown out the door. The MEC metal 100 primer feed tray works like a champ, so why did they have to go and mess up a proven design?

Reactions: jk80

· Registered
267 Posts
I have a 650 that I bought back in the mid eighties when I started shooting trap. Got bored last spring during the shutdown and bought a new 650 with the high capacity primer feed. It's a piece of junk as far as i am concerned. Dropped primers all over the place except where they needed to be. The drop tube needs to be reworked to align with the hole. Had numerous primers get jammed at the top of the tube, and had to take it apart to unjam it. It is now sitting there collecting dust. Went back to my original 650 with the 100 primer tray. Never looked back. Mec is great as far as service is concerned, but they need to look at this new primed feed.

· Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only way the actuator would actuate was to turn the tray so that the primer drop tube contacted the shell which was in the powder drop position. I finally gave up on that proposition and went back to trying to drop the primer by pressing the primer drop mechanism by hand. That worked for a while and now I have a primer jammed in the drop position and am going to have to take it apart to get it out. That is $110.00 I threw away. Going back to laying them out on the bench and putting them in the loader by hand.
I have a 650 that I bought back in the mid eighties when I started shooting trap. Got bored last spring during the shutdown and bought a new 650 with the high capacity primer feed. It's a piece of junk as far as i am concerned. Dropped primers all over the place except where they needed to be. The drop tube needs to be reworked to align with the hole. Had numerous primers get jammed at the top of the tube, and had to take it apart to unjam it. It is now sitting there collecting dust. Went back to my original 650 with the 100 primer tray. Never looked back. Mec is great as far as service is concerned, but they need to look at this new primed feed.
Unfortunately my original tray is inoperable and I dont want to throw an additional $100.00 at the problem so here I sit loading primers by hand. Really disappointed in MEC.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I have 4 9000's that I have nearly zero problems with the 200 primer feeder. Once you get them dialed in they are nearly flawless. I run all four gauges all with the automate. I couldn't imagine having to put a primer in each time I cycle the machine.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I wasted money on one too. I'm glad I didn't miss something trying to make it work. TRIED EVERYTHING! Finally gave up and put the old feed back on. Loading primers in the tray more often is better than blood pressure problems from messing with that pos! Lol.

· Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 4 9000's that I have nearly zero problems with the 200 primer feeder. Once you get them dialed in they are nearly flawless. I run all four gauges all with the automate. I couldn't imagine having to put a primer in each time I cycle the machine.
Maybe it is just the 650

· Perazzi MX10RS
2,093 Posts
I also have 4 9000's (2 being hydraulic) and 2 8567 Grabber's. All of them have a 200 primer tray. Not a single problem with any of them, once they are adjusted correctly. I load more than 25,000 shells a year between the 6 of them and never have issues. It is not a MEC problem, it is an adjustment problem.

· Registered
155 Posts
I had all sorts of problems with the large capacity primer tray and on my 28 ga loader and was ready to throw in the towel go back the to the 100 capacity tray when I realized that the new tray should be mounted on the underside of the turret frame. Once I corrected my error I was able to make the adjustments and it now works fine. On the rare occasion that a primer does get stuck I use a magnet to move it rather than taking the tray apart.
George

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.