Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the biggest and or smallest weight difference in powder charge have you found when starting a new batch of Promo vs the old batch you just finished up?

·
Registered
515 Posts
About 1 full grain for me. I’ve gone through five 8-lb kegs and most are usually off by a half grain or so and the last one was off by 1 grain.

·
Registered
387 Posts
What's the biggest and or smallest weight difference in powder charge have you found when starting a new batch of Promo vs the old batch you just finished up?
I've been through 6 to 8 8lb jugs and about 1 grain is the biggest difference between jugs. The difference between some jugs was 0.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been through 6 to 8 8lb jugs and about 1 grain is the biggest difference between jugs. The difference between some jugs was 0.
I Have used at least 30- 8# jugs of Promo and I have found very little variance in the weight of the powder, however I turn the container over several times (end to end and rolling it on it's side) each time before use to mix the powder that has settled out during shipment, etc. I hope this helps, Jim

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I shot promo for years and turning the container I get very little variation .I was told to do that by alliant tech because it is a blended powder.I agree with goat roper5.Just experience.

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
I shot promo for years and turning the container I get very little variation .I was told to do that by alliant tech because it is a blended powder.I agree with goat roper5.Just experience.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Alliant makes it clear there could be lot to lot variation with Promo. I don't see how the fact it is a blended powder and turning the container would make the variation go away.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I generally use the same bushing I did for Red Dot. Weighing drops has never shown anything more than a grain heavier.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Then you need a NEW scale!
Red Dot and Promo do NOT come close in drop weight thru the same bushing.
MG
Come on MG... that’s not completely true ;). I have had a keg that measured the same as my RedDot but only that one keg. But yes, if you are a grain off you had better change bushings. I just opened my new keg and measured it for loadings that I have as standard. My old keg of powder was dropping 19.8 grains with a #34 bushing. And now with the new keg #34 drops 20.9 and #32 drops 19.5. So yes, they change, but once I check a keg, it stays the same. Not a big deal because I always measure every new lot of every powder because they all change a little.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
I have seen a variation of of only 4 tenths of a grain from high to low ,and have been using it since they brought it out. I seriously doubt if any shooter could tell a difference .4 of a grain . I shoot 1 oz. loads for 16 yd. and run about 16.4 grains . My 28 MEC Bushing has run anywhere from 16.3 to 16.7 with 16.4 being about average.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have seen a variation of of only 4 tenths of a grain from high to low ,and have been using it since they brought it out. I seriously doubt if any shooter could tell a difference .4 of a grain . I shoot 1 oz. loads for 16 yd. and run about 16.4 grains . My 28 MEC Bushing has run anywhere from 16.3 to 16.7 with 16.4 being about average.
The last keg I got about a month ago dropped the same weight, this was the first out of probly 20 kegs. I have had it weigh as much as 1.2 grains between 2 kegs.
Been down to a 28 mec bushing to a 31 bushing.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Come on MG... that’s not completely true ;). I have had a keg that measured the same as my RedDot but only that one keg. But yes, if you are a grain off you had better change bushings. I just opened my new keg and measured it for loadings that I have as standard. My old keg of powder was dropping 19.8 grains with a #34 bushing. And now with the new keg #34 drops 20.9 and #32 drops 19.5. So yes, they change, but once I check a keg, it stays the same. Not a big deal because I always measure every new lot of every powder because they all change a little.
H2,
If your 34 bushing drops the same weight of Promo as it does Red Dot, then you need a new scale as well!
MG

·
Registered
515 Posts
H2,
If your 34 bushing drops the same weight of both Promo & Red Dot, then you need a new scale as well!
MG
They are not the same now, but when I first switched from RedDot to promo when it first came out the drops were the same or within 0.1 for every bushing. My scale is good, but that was the only keg. They have all had variation to them since then and my last 2 kegs were 1 full grain different.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It was the reason I switched. It was cheaper and I heard it was the same as RedDot as far as data so I switched. And my bushings with the first keg were the same so I saw no reason to not save some money. Then I got the second keg and had to completely recheck all my drops. Now I just do it with all my new powders every time because even my unique and extra lite have been off a little. They are not nearly as different as promo, but a little.

·
Registered
14,887 Posts
I go through about (2) 8 pound jugs a year. I keep my bushing weights on a Word program. So when I get a new jug, I weigh the bushings again and print a new bushing chart.

My last 3 jugs with a #31 MEC bushing were 17.5 -17.7gr, 18.3-18.5 gr, and the last is 16.8 - 17.1 grain. Fluctuation in drops is always +/- .3 grains

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
The last keg I got about a month ago dropped the same weight, this was the first out of probly 20 kegs. I have had it weigh as much as 1.2 grains between 2 kegs.
Been down to a 28 mec bushing to a 31 bushing.
I have heard this from others. Back when the powder shortage ended I bought 6 kegs of the stuff,all manufactured about the same time . That is enough to load over 20,000 shells. Never got a full grain variation . I'm close to the end of that supply now so, things may change later when have to buy powder again Who knows ?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I have heard this from others. Back when the powder shortage ended I bought 6 kegs of the stuff,all manufactured about the same time . That is enough to load over 20,000 shells. Never got a full grain variation . I'm close to the end of that supply now so, things may change later when have to buy powder again Who knows ?
If the powder is from the same lot, the variance is likely to be low. Once the lot # changes all bets are off and re-checking is a real good idea.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts