Trapshooters Forum banner

new lawrence shot bags caused mess, ideas to clean up?

3295 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Rick Barker
Our gun club pallet of lawrence 7.5 shot has several busted bags. The new bags are noticeably thinner and tear at the seams really easy. We had about 15 bags that busted open and a lot of it spilled out on the floor. The majority of it was swept up but there are now rocks, grass, sand burrs and other debrie in it an it is kind of a mess. Thought about sifting it thru something in front of a big fan. Any ideas to make this process effective would be appreciated
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
36,877 Posts
Funny you posted this thread. Yesterday, while cleaning the garage, I picked up an unopened bag of Lawrence and it came apart at both ends. The fabric had rotted. I managed to dump most of it in an empty bucket nearby but there was a couple pounds on the floor. Used the air compressor on the shot in the bucket first. I have a series of strainers I was able to run the shot through and remove larger debris from the shot.

I then took some roof gutter about 6 foot long. Put 2 upside down buckets on either end. Raised one end above the other and on the low end, placed a llarge plastic container. Taking small amounts of shot and dumping on the higher end, the shot rolled down the gutter and into the the container. Most of what was not shot, stayed in the gutter which I emptied several times to prevent the shot from pushing the debris into the container. I would say I got about 95% of foreign material removed from the shot.

I plan to repeat the process today with the raised end not as high than it was before. Thought I would try a one inch difference to see it works better. Make sure your catch container is placed far enough out the shot does not overshoot or fall short of it.

· Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Good to know, I'm not careful at all when picking up a bag of shot. Usually I grab it by the sewn end & lift it to my bench. I often grab two at a time & what a disaster that would be if the bottoms fell out.
Thanks for posting this.

· Registered
611 Posts
A pie pan works too. Put a handful in and act like your panning for gold. You can get the lead to one side and the debris to the other if you try. Time consuming but it works.

Don't know if I would want to clean 15 bags that way though. Works for a little spilled shot now and then.

· Registered
36,877 Posts
Good to know, I'm not careful at all when picking up a bag of shot. Usually I grab it by the sewn end & lift it to my bench. I often grab two at a time & what a disaster that would be if the bottoms fell out.
Thanks for posting this.
I used both hands when I picked up this bag. If I used one, it would have been a bigger mess I think. Glad the bucket was empty and close by. Bag went out in this mornings trash. Wish I had taken a picture of it first.

· Registered
36,877 Posts
The shop vac thing works really nice and then when i paired it with the gutter trick it ready to resell. lol, thanks for the help
Glad that gutter trick worked for you. The picture I posted was for my second attempt. First time I had a bucket at both ends with one about 3 inches higher than the other. Today, second time using a lower setting, I was able to remove all the debris completely. The debris stayed on the far end where I dropped the shot.

· Premium Member
4,844 Posts
This little vac sucks up spilled shot from either the floor side or with the crevice tool. It stores it in a plastic container for easy recovery. The picture shows a small amount I placed there for a visual but it will easily pic up a large spill. Still have to separate any debris you add to the mix. It can also pick up powder safely because the motor is isolated from the suction mechanism.

· Registered
77 Posts
This little vac sucks up spilled shot from either the floor side or with the crevice tool. It stores it in a plastic container for easy recovery. The picture shows a small amount I placed there for a visual but it will easily pic up a large spill. Still have to separate any debris you add to the mix. It can also pick up powder safely because the motor is isolated from the suction mechanism.
View attachment 1746003 View attachment 1746004 View attachment 1746005
I try to always keep my shot in plastic totes so that if a bag breaks the shot is contained in the tote and can be poured into another container.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
Had two bags bust open on me ! I guess Lawrence thinks they have found a way to save a buck but ,this kind of thing will cost them business if they don't address it. Other shot may have less antimony but at least you don't have to sweep it up off the floor ! 😕

· Registered
36,877 Posts
Great, now I have to go buy a gutter in case a bag ever breaks.
A length of gutter tube is a very handy thing to have is you make shot. You can determine the roundness if your casting by running some it down the gutter. Nice and round, rolls down without any effort. If lousy cast, it will not roll well If at all. At one time I made my own and bought reclaimed as well. I once bought a batch reclaimed in such bad shape, I recast all ten bags of it.

· Registered
60 Posts
I try to always keep my shot in plastic totes so that if a bag breaks the shot is contained in the tote and can be poured into another container.
Thats a good idea. Usually I keep my shot stored in gallon jugs (windshield washer fluid) after I open up a bag and don't use it all in one setting, but I think that I am going to start storing the full bags in a container.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.