Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Krieghoff K80
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much another standard barrel cleaning video, however, what's stated at minute marker 4:00 (after oiling bbls for storage)....... kinda got my attention.

".........but make sure to clean ANY oil away before you go back out shooting, as oil can cause pressure damage to the barrels"

While advisable to avoid over oiling any parts (bbls included) after cleaning, does his comment merit verity ? How much oil is he talking about ? A thin film ?.........or enough to make J.R. proud ? Can't remember the last time a ran a mop down the bores before shooting, yet I still have all my fingers & toes.

So the question is......to remove or not to remove ?

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I'll run a paper towel with heavy oil down the bores like he did to remove the solvent. Then run a dry towel down the bores after that. It will take out most if not all oil. I've never had rust in the bores, but my K80 seldom sits in the safe more than 2 weeks.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm......Is it possible though, that sending that first shot with a thin coat of oil left behind, will/can cause barrel damage ?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Hmmmm......Is it possible though, that sending that first shot with a thin coat of oil left behind, will/can cause barrel damage ?
With a heavy oil it's possible. With a light oil probably not. I have never in years of shooting ever had a problem. I use a light coat of Rem Oil in the bores during the off season and when I get the guns out to shoot in the spring I pull a bore snake through the bores and they look like new. Off to the club we go.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If you store your gun (in the safe) butt down and you leave a coating of oil in the bore, you are going to get a receiver that is full of oil and it is going to go further and lay against the wood and it WILL soften that wood.

Reactions: Claybird2

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I've never given it a thought. I just got them out and shot. I'm not the best at keeping oil in the bore. They get cleaned once a year whether they need it or not. Rifles, at the pressures they run at get a dry mop pushed through before firing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I’m 70. I got my first shotgun when I was 12. I’ve never oiled the bore on any of my shotguns and have never seen a spot of rust in them. Matter of fact, when a job offer took me from Central Wisconsin to Tampa in 1977, my Wingmaster came with me in a soft case. It stayed in the closet in that case for almost twenty years. When I finally pulled it out it looked just like the day it left Wisconsin. Still does. So that was a long winded way of saying I don’t see the value of oiling a shotgun bore.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:25a:.....Welp, between the Brit, and Rick Barker telling me my gun's gonna go :boom:............I actually ran a mop down the bores before I shot last Sunday. Turned out me AND my gun made it home in one piece, so all in all, it was a good day.

·
Registered
32,288 Posts
If any of you feel the need to find your K80 a new home because you fear it will blow up, please contact me by Email.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts