Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, a month or so ago I loaded up some new hulls using this recipe on my MEC Sizemaster:

2 3/4" 16ga Fiocchi Hull
Fio 616 Primer
SG16 wad
22.5grns Longshot
1 1/8oz
7700psi
1200fps

Got every thing set, nice crimps, nice rolled edge, chambered just fine in my SxS's. Today, I thought I'd double check. Sure as shooting the shells were tight going into the chamber, some not so bad, some kind of bad.

I did "re-crimp" (held the finial crimp station down on the shells for 10 seconds or so) them and they chambered fine, I'm letting them sit to see if the memory pops back.

So, have any tricks or suggestions on how to get these new hulls to stay put so they will chamber easy?

Thanks as always!!!!

Greg

P.S. Happy Fathers Day to all!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've loaded 20, 28 and .410 new primed cheddite hulls. Cheddite is Europe's largest manufacturer of hulls and many European ammo manufacturers use these hulls which may include Rio & Fiocci. Ballistic Products Inc. recommends using a sharp metal start crimper on new hulls, theirs is brass and made for Mec loaders, PW makes a 6 & 8 pt. steel start crimper for their presses. These start crimpers have teeth that are sharp similar to a dull knife edge. I've got .410 loads that have been around for ~6 yrs. and the crimps haven't changed from when loaded.

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
You say "new" hulls. Do you really mean virgin hulls, never fired, or once fired "new?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts