Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been lurking on here for a month or so and I finally figured I'd sign up. I'm not really new to guns, but definitely am to trap shooting. Only been shooting for about 2 months now and already joined a gun club as well as a 5-stand league at the same place. I'm currently shooting a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic. I've made a couple of adjustments on it and LOVE it! Other than it being a bit heavy, I could probably shoot it all day! Shot my best round last week, a 22... not too shabby for just starting. Got 20 in a row and got stuck on #5 as it seems I always do. I'm going to adjust my stance a little bit this week and see if I can improve. I'm open any suggestions for a newbie!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Welcome to a very addictive and expensive. You have an excellent gun, don't let anybody tell you any different. Yes you "may" get the "bug" for something more expensive--- that's fine and pretty normal but a higher priced gun isn't likely to buy you any more targets. Search some back threads and ask around a little to see what Leo H. shot for many years. Main thing is to ENJOY----Ross Puls

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Welcome and best wishes for success! Trap is a disease of addiction that is is fun! I remember the dreaded post 5 and now it is my favorite. If your gun fits and you have a suitable point of impact, you are well-gunned. Ralph

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Welcome to the best bunch of folks you will ever hang around with....keep up the good shooting.
I continue to market my husband's instructional videos so if you are interested in learning from a legend, email me.
[email protected]

Mrs. Leo Harrison III

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damit Karla, I thought I was a legend..lol... Welcome 92vemaxse!
Chris
I'm also a new shooter from Wisconsin, that has been monitoring the board but not weighing in. I have become addicted to this sport, since the middle of July, and wish I would have started before turning 36. In these past few months I have met many supportive and friendly people, that are willing to give any advice they can. I have learned to listen to everyone but to only make small adjustments when their advice makes sense. Good Luck moving forward and I hope we cross paths some day.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Welcome. Just take your time and as you state; "make small adjustments when the advice makes sense". I am from Wisconsin and hope to meet you sometime at our local shoots. Consult the website "East Wisconsin Shotgun Sports" and it will give you a listing of many of the shoots available in the area. Good luck. Ed

A Bit of History About Our Shooting Event List

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of clay target sports.

You don't have to worry about getting advice from well meaning people....the problem is that a good many of them don't know their A$$ from a HOLE IN THE GROUND! Be careful who's advice you take.

There is a lot of information available to shooters today that wasn't available 30 years ago in the way of articles, books and instructional CD's. Take advantage of them.

Also, shoot with the best shooters you can find. As the saying goes, "It's hard to soar with eagles when you're flocked with turkeys."!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am assuming you are a right hand shooter if post 5 is your nemesis? The biggest thing that I have noticed with right hand shooters missing on 5 is their stance. They stand with their feet perpendicular to the pad on five and when they get a hard right they run out of room chasing the target and short shoot it ( behind). For me my feet are parallel with the front of the pad and I hold for the left angle target from that post which would actually be close to a straight away . Never have a problem running out of room getting to the hard right. Now my stance might be a little more extreme than you would be comfortable with but you get the idea. You want to position yourself so that you are basically unwinding your body while swinging for the hard right from 5. Good luck I am sure you will get this worked out.

·
Vendor
776 Posts
Howdy from just south of the border - the not so orderly State of Illinois. Maybe we'll cross paths after the winter freeze - until then I'm shooting things that fly on their own and honk.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome from another WI shooter. It's an addictive sport.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
It sounds like you have 1,2,3 and 4 mastered. Next practice if you can, shoot all 25 from station 5. Concentrate on the target only , and don't be looking for anything else. Keep the gun up and moving. Lead will take care of itself. Practice this until station 5 is no longer looked at as a negative station. If that don't work, just stop thinking of station 5 as the dreaded station. Confidence is a wonderful thing, and allows full concentration on the target.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like you have 1,2,3 and 4 mastered. Next practice if you can, shoot all 25 from station 5. Concentrate on the target only , and don't be looking for anything else. Keep the gun up and moving. Lead will take care of itself. Practice this until station 5 is no longer looked at as a negative station. If that don't work, just stop thinking of station 5 as the dreaded station. Confidence is a wonderful thing, and allows full concentration on the target.
I appreciate the advice. This last weekend I went shooting I adjusted my stance a little to the right. I actually shot all 5! Needless to say, I was quite happy! Still have some work to though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had the same problem years ago, one of the top shooters at Cudahy gun club, had me stand on station 5 and shoot a 100 rounds.
It worked. Gordy H

1 - 20 of 36 Posts