Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a new gun and considering a beretta 686 onyx pro trap. Or something in that price range. I’d like to not go over $4000. Let’s hear your recommendations! I have owned browning citoris before and am just not a fan of the fit and feel of the gun for me so I’m thinking of looking at beretta.
Also does anyone know of anywhere in central Wisconsin that keeps trap guns in stock? I’d like to see how a few of them fit me. I don’t like purchasing a gun I’ve never even mounted before.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
i don't thing changing gun's is gonna make the gun fit better, every person is different and no matter what gun you have is should be fitted to you

·
Registered
280 Posts
Exciting news red oak! I’m not from your neck of the woods but I would start at either Cabela’s or Scheels. Probably not the best price to be had but at least you would be able to get your hands on something. I see you guys also have a slick Shooting Complex in Central WI maybe try giving them a shout to get some guidance. (Who knows maybe they have a member getting rid of their gun in the off season)

In your price range you got some good options I would definitely recommend getting your hands on stuff, but also get something with adjustable comb or leave some money left over to have tron cut you one. You can shoot me a pm or talk on here if you have any questions you want to ask me. Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't know too much about the Beretta but I have had, and still have, several Citoris. I also have several Perazzis. There is definitely a different feel between the hands with the lower profile receiver of the Perazzi and Beretta. I like the looks of the Onyx pro but haven't shot one. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
For the $4K range you can find a used K-80 (sound, with a bit of cosmetic wear), or, better yet, a high condition K-32 32" Vandalia rib gun with Dockwiller Crown Grade wood set. Either will serve you well for the remainder of your shooting days and be superior in all regards compared to a comparably priced Beretta, Browning, et al. This choice has one negative feature: no longer having to succumb to the nagging desire to shoot something better. Good luck in choosing correctly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Drop Jack a line---he's over in the Prescot area----look around at some of the nice used top end guns. There's some good buys on Ljutic's in particular but also on the rest of the P & K guns. Might get a Kolar made right here in Racine----that's what I did :)---love my TS

·
Registered
204 Posts
Monsoors in LaCrosse Wi is not central, however the owner,Roger is a knowledgeable stocking target gun dealer and shooter. Many gun dealers focus on hunting guns and begrudgingly will take target guns in on trade. Monsoors caters to the clay target shooter . Roger has a good stock of new and used target shotguns. Kenny Bruggeman

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with what others have said about buying used.

IMO, you will get more gun if you go with a used P or K gun for about 4K.

Also, to echo what others have said, either way, you should get it fitted to you which will mean that you need an adjustable comb and pad.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
N.J.. Bob good advise ,but they do not have anything for 4 K ,but the guns are great and btw : No beretta ever for me !

·
Registered
329 Posts
For the $4K range you can find a used K-80 (sound, with a bit of cosmetic wear), or, better yet, a high condition K-32 32" Vandalia rib gun with Dockwiller Crown Grade wood set. Either will serve you well for the remainder of your shooting days and be superior in all regards compared to a comparably priced Beretta, Browning, et al. This choice has one negative feature: no longer having to succumb to the nagging desire to shoot something better. Good luck in choosing correctly.
I agree with you. Also, I think he would have a better chance of moving a nice Model 32 versus a 686 Onyx Pro Trap if he ever wanted to sell or trade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts