Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start I know this is very subjective. In a previous thread I talked about needing to shoot in a more heads up position. I have been contemplating either modifying my guns or buying something new.
Right now Im shooting a BT 1oo and Browning 425 32" (doubles) and if my wife lets me, her TM1. I am contemplating selling the two brownings and buying a Fabarm Axis combo, or CG Summit O/u or ?????
What I am worried about is how well the Fab and or CG will hold up in both mechanics and resale. Or Maybe you have a idea for me to consider. I am looking at spending up to $5500.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Remember there are two kinds a buyer, a want buyer and a need buyer. Appears you are a want buyer which most people are. I believe you can get your gun properly fitted to you and possibly take a lesson. The gun itself willnot solve a more headups shoting form. Save some money and get the gun fitted to you.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm somewhat in the same boat. TM1 for singles and an XT for doubles. I keep wanting to sell both and get a combo. When I get down to it I consider how many doubles am I going to shoot anyhow. Then I decide to keep what I got and try to get the XT to shoot where the TM1 does. You might want to keep what you have and go the fitting route....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe I am totally in the want category. I had a neck surgery with a poor outcome. Shooting has become more painful, not from the recoil but from my head position. I just want to make a good decision before I lay down a lot of money to replace or customize what I have.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a CG Summit combo with 40k+ down the tubes. Zero problems. This gun shoots so well I bought two more CG's. A Magnus 12ga and 20ga sporting. Again zero problems.
Now that CG owns Fabarm I bought a Fabarm Axis R12 32"sporting. This gun is very impressive. Well worth the money. I like it so much in a few months I will get there Axis 32" trap to shoot sporting clays with. It's like the CG Impact but less money.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Considering that you are dealing with pain and are trying to alleviate it while shooting I too would recommend getting your current shotguns fit. A call to Dennis Devault could do you a world of good when it comes to getting a custom stock that allows you to shoot well and as pain free as possible.

If you do decide to go the new gun route then spend a few extra bucks and have an adjustable butt pad installed so you can achieve the more "heads up" position. While your choices are fine the stocks are not made for anyone in particular so they pretty much don't fit anyone. The adjustments you'll need will fall outside of the range you can get on them.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
After I started shooting my CG Summit Trap it made my other trap guns obsolete. It shoots that well. Not that I would sell my other trap guns. Only that I`ll be shooting the Summit Trap for a very long time. Once its adjusted to fit its a bird busting machine. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I don't know that I'd sell anything right away. The CG is far and away the better choice for a combo buy. I went thru the same process back in the late 90's. Shooting 2 different guns for singles, caps and doubles. Once I went to a combo, like smokintom said, it made my other guns obsolete. Never picked them up again. I'd stay away from the Fabarm for several reasons, 1. resale value 2. a very narrow market out there for people wanting one. I find CG to the smarter purchase between the 2.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the itch for a new gun and also wanted to explore a more heads-up style and very recently purchased a CG Summit Impact Trap combo with 32 and 34 inch barrels. The standard Summit trapgun has a 25 mm rib and the Impact has a 17 mm rib. Kind of a half-way measure on my part to giving me a heads-up trapgun and also a good sporting clays gun. I have been pleased so far. With neck pain being your motivation, I would be very careful before I dropped a lot of cash. I contacted the local CG manufacturers rep and he agreed to take me to a local club and allow me to shoot both the standard and Impact trapguns before I made a purchase. I went ahead and made the purchase before I took him up on the offer but you might want to try to take these guns for a test drive and see what hurts before you buy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another thought could be adding a little more $ and buying a used Beretta DT11 Trap. I have shouldered those and my head was considerably upright. High comb, high rib and supposedly very little recoil. I looked at one that was on the Beretta truck. I noticed the Kick Off recoil system on the Prevail and one of their field guns. When I inquired about the KO being available on the DT11, Kari said that it was not needed. I asked "The recoil reduction on the DT11 barrels is that substantial?"...she nodded and said yes.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I own a CG Summit. I too have a BT100 that I will not sell. Set the CG up to shoot like the BT100. It can be your back up. You may never need it. CG has a lifetime warranty. The BT100 one can fix with a hammer, mail, and screw driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts