Trapshooters Forum banner

New Fed Shell/Component Shortage Contributor?

5889 Views 31 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  N.Y. TRAPSHOOTER
I read with interest the discussion of the new Federal target shell that is coming out and the speculation it's being made at the Rem plant in Arkansas.

Recall Vista Outdoors, the owner of Federal ammunition and Alliant powder, now also owns Rem Ammo. Anyway, this got me thinking maybe this development is contributing to current shortage of powder, shot and maybe primers.

While I don't know this for a fact, I believe Rem sourced the powders for it shotgun shells from the General Dynamics plants in St. Marks, FL and Ontario, CAN. It does not take much imagination to conjure that now that Vista owns the business it is using Alliant powders not only in these new Fed shells but maybe also in some of the Rem-branded ammo as well. This could be a reason we are not seeing much Alliant canister powders and Ramshot Competition, made at St. Marks, seems to be one that is popping more than others.

It also strikes me part of Vista's motive for buying the Rem ammo business was to get its hands on the shot tower and the primer manufacturing capacity. I seem to have some recollection in the back of my mind Federal does not make its own shot; it imports it from Australia. Having it's own shot production not only cuts out both a middleman's markup and transportation costs, but also diverts STS shot away from the reloading market if Federal is using all the capacity for both Rem and Fed ammo. (This is a bean-counter's wet dream)

Just spinning conspiracy theories here and I'm probably FOS. But, just say'n....
Reactions: redudley
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
If what you say is accurate, it seems to me that their actions and approach makes business sense. While it may not be what the recreational shooter or re-loader wants to hear, I can certainly see the business case for it taking place.
Things will get better. Maybe not at the old price, but eventually it will get better. I choose to stay positive.

· Registered
2,505 Posts
Seems to me with Covid restrictions all over the world, supply of imported products had to be diminished.
Thus putting Vista in a precarious position of sourcing product.
The Remington sale was a, right place at the right time for Vista.

Dumb me sold my Vista stock off in the fall 2019....

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Regardless of the times, the big ammo companies could care less about us handloaders, IMO. They’re in business to sell ammo, component sales only happen when they have an over supply. And that isn’t the case now or will be for another year or more.

· Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardless of the times, the big ammo companies could care less about us handloaders, IMO. They’re in business to sell ammo, component sales only happen when they have an over supply. And that isn’t the case now or will be for another year or more.
The ammo companies aren't in business to make ammo, they are in business to make money.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Vista Outdoors has a big corner of the market.Just as Nebs said they just want to make money.The less competition the more they can charge. If you want to play ,you have to pay.Just look at what we are paying for powder and primers compared to the same time last year.I am sure that their profit margin has also increased.All these price increases will just force the border line shooter with a family to support to shoot less or just quit.I started reloading when ALCAN made most of the components.No one at that time new that the reloading business would be that good.I hope the bean counters don't kill the golden goose with their greed.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Far too many monopolies in this country, hard work ,competition among manufacturers , all leads to lower prices. Too big to fail is just a problem for taxpayers in the future. Bailouts for banks, bailouts for the auto industry, bailouts for the airlines and the list goes on and on. I like the idea of American made , it's the American greed I have a problem with. The china flue highlighted the worst of America , paying more and getting a whole lot less.

· Registered
13,542 Posts
IMO, we will not see any reloading components in any quantity until all the retail stores have all their shelves full, and the distribution centers have their normal supply of stocked shells to re-stock the stores as needed. Then we will start to see reloading components being made again, and replenish the stock in the biggest buyers of components. I'm stuck between a rock and hard place. Until I can order 4-- 8 lb kegs of powder at a time. Same with primers. I need to order 4---5000 sleeves of primers at a time. To keep my costs down. I figure another 18 months, maybe more before this happens. Of course I could be wrong?

IMO the biggest shortage we have right now are primers!!! Manufacturers can't make new shells without them. break em all Jeff

· Registered
2,387 Posts

Caption:
WHY CAN’T HODGDON SHIP MORE POWDER? The current powder situation is due to a record
demand for all reloading components and NOT a reduction in the supply of powder. With longtime
handloaders looking to stock up and new gun owners looking for ammunition, there is an
unprecedented demand for powder and other reloading components. We shipped a record
amount of powder in 2020 and will ship even more in 2021. We are doing everything in our power
to get the most powder into consumer hands this year. We are running overtime in our facilities,
have hired additional staff and have leveraged relationships with shipping partners to add new
shipping options.
WHY CAN’T HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER POWDER PLANT? The “normal” powder demand for
the U.S. would not support an additional plant. Hodgdon, like most companies, cannot afford to
build a new production facility then have it sit idle until demand spikes.
WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS? The heart of
our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to
ammo manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. Every day, we receive calls from
potential OEM customers looking for powder to load in ammunition. We politely decline so we can
focus on our long-term, handloading customers.
WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO THE GOVERNMENT? Hodgdon does not sell
powder directly to the government. We sell some powder to manufacturers making ammunition for
our military, but that is a small part of our business.
WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER ON AUCTION SITES? We don't. Period. We recently
began selling a limited amount of powder on our own websites but prioritize our shipments to our
traditional sales channels to maximize powder availability at sporting goods and gun shops.
WHY IS THE PRICE OF POWDER SO HIGH ON THE INTERNET? We do not set sale prices or
MSRPs for the price of our powders at retail, nor do we encourage any of our retailers or dealers
to sell on auction sites, but we cannot control what happens after we sell to our traditional sales
channels.

· Registered
36,918 Posts
Ocean shipping is a problem for many businesses.

and did you know in 2019 some maritime regulations kicked in requiring ships burn more low sulphuric fuel?

Effects of the West coast port congestion from Feb to May of this year are still causing supply problems.

The world shut down due to a disease with a 98% survival rate. Welcome to the mew world.

· Registered
333 Posts
Just read today Remington is producing a million rounds a day.... I still can't find any primers
The Winchester sales rep at the Grand told me that all primers are going to new ammo production. The aren’t selling any primers for reloading. This includes rifle/pistol primers.
He also said they have a new Dove load coming out that is being produced in France with Cheddite primers.
Before I get accused of making this up, I’m not…..

· Registered
13,015 Posts
The Winchester sales rep at the Grand told me that all primers are going to new ammo production. The aren’t selling any primers for reloading. This includes rifle/pistol primers.
He also said they have a new Dove load coming out that is being produced in France with Cheddite primers.
Before I get accused of making this up, I’m not…..
Just what we need, more Euro crap. ! Before long there will be NOTHING made in America. I bet Oliver Winchester is rolling in his grave ! :mad:

· Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have no reason to believe Alliant moved the production of smokeless powders from Radford to some other place. And to the aspersion Cheddite primers are crap, whether they are or are not, I can't say. But who else is supplying US reloaders with primers? I would be saying "merci" instead of "merde" to them.

· Registered
80 Posts
I have no reason to believe Alliant moved the production of smokeless powders from Radford to some other place. And to the aspersion Cheddite primers are crap, whether they are or are not, I can't say. But who else is supplying US reloaders with primers? I would be saying "merci" instead of "merde" to them.
I went to college in Radford and it always made me proud to see that it was produced in Radford when I was loading.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.