Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK for a while, I have to admit, I never thought this shooting park was going to open. I heard through the grapevine (rumors) that the problem was the county itself. For taking so long to approve all the necessary red tape, paperwork, bla bla, bla. Well the shooting park is going to open this Monday!!!! Rah Rah Rah. The name of this new club is "Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Complex"!!! We have be without a shooting range since Palm Beach Trap and Skeet closed back in o4!!! Some of you may have shot there over the years, before moving to the Silver Dollar for the winter?

It is only going to have Pistol and Rifle for a while. They still have not purchased any Clay target machines of any kind. Even though the trap and skeet fields are ready for them.

They are going to have a 300 yard, 200 yard, & 100 yard rifle range. A 50, 25, & 15 yard pistol range. They will also have Skeet, Trap, International Skeet, and Bunker Trap as well. Lets not forget the 5-stand field, and a 14 or 15 station Sporting Clay course as well. The price lists for all games are on there website. Please check it out if you like!!! I've been out there several times already. NO, I was not allowed, and was even kicked out more than once. LOL. Its a beautiful new club, & its totally automated as well. I expect some of you may want to come on down here next Winter and check it out? I sure hope the Florida Fish and Game runs this park the way it needs to be run? Time will tell. Check out there website. You may want to add this place to your bucket list before long? Stay Safe. Don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked out the web sight. That pace looks like FUN !!!
I Think So! Just don't make any plans on going there during the Spring Time! That's when the Male Gator's are constantly on the move looking for Mates!!! After all, it is located right next door to J.W. Corbett. Which is open land to hunt down here. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You bet. From what I hear, many are taken the ******* way. With dogs and hunters with knifes. Though, I expect the majority are taken with pistol or rifle's these days. The new Shooting Park is located right next door to the Florida Fish and Games largest southern public hunting area. So I expect it will be very convenient for them. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well the new Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Complex is now finally open. I was out there today. All that is open at this time is there Pistol and Rifle Course at this time. They have all lanes open for pistol and the 100 and 200 yard range for rifle. The 300 yard range is closed for now. They are waiting for the new state of the art Electronic Targets from Europe to come in. There will be No Need to go Down Range to see your Paper Target. You can now see where your bullet hit by watching your TV Monitor screen. So you do not need a spotting scope to see your hits. Its suppose to be very accurate, so you can dial in your scope.

Anyway on to the Clay fields now. I was not allowed to go look around on the Trap and Skeet fields, so all this is info comes from the gentleman working the front gate. You can't get in without a Appointment for shooting rifle or pistol you see. Anyway all the machines for all Trap, Skeet, Bunker Trap are all now installed. The fields all have concrete walkways and stations to shoot from. They are overlay fields. Some are Bunker Trap and skeet, while others are reg. Trap and skeet. There is suppose to be International Skeet on some fields. I did not ask how many though?

The 5-stand is not built all at. The concrete pad has been poured though. No walls or roof yet. All the 14/15 stations have been built for the Sporting Clay course. Only one roof was complete though, the others are all framed. But no plywood or shingles yet. Yep, they are using shingles and not corrugated metal roofs!!! It appears all the landscaping is done inside the large diameter circle of the Sporting Clay Course. Looks like installed dirt berms with some hills and valleys to hide machines and targets. New Landscaping with trees as well inside the circle too. It was just a bulldosed flat piece of land last time I was there!!!

On a Sad Note: The last 2 miles of road to this new club are still unpaved. They are rough to say the least!, and full of mud puddles after all our rain. I have a feeling this will get worse as the rainy season is just starting here. The whole parking lot inside is shell rock as well. From what I was told, since this park is run by the Florida Fish and Wildlife. Any paved roads will have to be paid for by them. The County will not spend any money to pave this road to the new Shooting Park. Remember I told you the County has been hard to deal with from the start of this new club!!!
Well, Because of the unfinished roofs on the Sporting Clay course, and the not even close to finished 5-stand. I have to say they spent there entire years cash flow for the year to date. With the limited amount of shooters allowed to shoot pistol and rifle. I do not see any extra revenue coming in from this to help finish the park. The park had roughly 6 or 7 employee's working with about dozen paying shooters when I drove through today. No Cash Cow Here!!! So that's about it for now. Hope to see, some of you out there one of these day's in the near future. Till then stay safe. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Does everyone still need to wear suits and boaters for Live Birds? ;)
c. 1900

Reactions: Pull & Mark

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Does everyone still need to wear suits and boaters for Live Birds?
Naw, Now you need a pick-up truck, and a Cowboy Hat with matching Boots. A Bolo Tie couldn't hurt. If you want to fit in at this new club.

You should join the South Florida Shooting Club if you want to mimic the photo above.

I was talking to another local shooting buddy last night after I posted this. We both agreed that this new shooting club most likely, will not have Clay targets for another 9 to 12 months (just a guess). He also confirmed what I heard through the grapevine. That this shooting park has now raised a 4 million dollars donation from local & Federal source's? Which just happens to be the amount I heard the FWC needs to pave the 2 to 2 1/2 mile section of road leading to the club. It will also include the whole interior parking lot area, and entrance section leading into the park. This should also include paving the cart path around the Sporting Clay's Course as well. So now, I can only guess how long it takes to pave their road, and finish building the Clay Course?

Another big question still remains as well. How will the Trap, Skeet, Bunker Trap and International Skeet shooters be able to pull there own targets on a automated field? 5-stand and Sporting Clay's are easy to automate. Trap and Skeet are more difficult. I guess time will tell. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another big question still remains as well. How will the Trap, Skeet, Bunker Trap and International Skeet shooters be able to pull there own targets on a automated field?
No entirely sure what you're asking here. However, Bunker trap is easily automated with either the Elfipa or Multi-Pull systems. The club I shoot at uses a fully automated Elfipa system, voice release and key card system for payment. This system also automates/runs the superimposed Skeet field as well.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No entirely sure what you're asking here.
I looked up your system that Briley makes for skeet. I have never heard or seen one. But the individual type systems are expensive and most can easily be taken home with the user if they forget they have something on. The E-rad system comes to mind here. Having a voice release microphone on each station may be a better idea. Well at least better than dragging around a cord with buttons on it for shooting skeet or trap. For a public shooting range they need something Simple, Durable and Cost Effective. Not a easy task. In Skeet you need the ability to shoot whatever shot you want too, when you want too. Many shooters may want to shoot doubles only at all stations, while others like there option shot were ever they miss there first target. Many others like there option shot on low 8. There may be a solo shooter, or varying groups of shooters up to 5 or 6 on a busy day. So each shooter needs to be able to call what they want when its there turn up. It will be interesting to see how this is handled. A microphone that is carried by each shooter would have to be picked up and returned to the clubhouse at the beginning and the end of the shooting day. There would have to be a large deposit for such a device as well. This is getting pretty complicated for the public, and the clubhouse to deal with and keep track of each personal voice caller. I want to be able to buy a large shoot card and never go into the office, unless I have too!!! I also have to wonder how busy this shooting club will get with Clay Target Shooters? We lost a huge number of Clay Target shooters after the crash of 08. The Covid-19 virus is going to take a few more out IMO. Some permanently I would think. Time will tell. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pull & Mark, the Elfipa system I am referring to does not require a microphone worn by the shooter. For Skeet, we have an Elfipa microphone stand that is wireless and can be moved by the shooter to each of the stations and allows the shooter to pick which targets he/she wants. For bunker, as you suggested "Having a voice release microphone on each station", is exactly the type of system used. It is FULLY automated. Insert your keycard (one pre-loaded with a dollar amount for the number of rounds you want to shoot) press START, proceed to Station 1 and call for your target.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For Skeet, we have an Elfipa microphone stand that is wireless and can be moved by the shooter to each of the stations and allows the shooter to pick which targets he/she wants.
Any mic that can set on the station/or carried around should work the best IMO. We'll see what they end up buying though? They may want to buy all the mic's at the same place to get a bulk price deal though. So this may narrow down their choices of makers. Time will tell. I'm kind of excited that this place is going to finally open up. Its been a slow process to say the least. break em all Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts