Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a advertisement for a cleaner burning Red Dot and Green Dot powders in my current Handloader Magazine. Anyone seen or tried this out yet?
Wondering if burn rates are going to be different.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I don't think it's new and I don't pay attention to the marketing hype put out by the powder people about "cleaner burning" or "softer shooting." It's all BS. And, if the burn rate was different, they would have to put out new data. Because they have not out new data, one can infer there was no change in the burn rate.

·
Premium Member
8,266 Posts
Just saw a advertisement for a cleaner burning Red Dot and Green Dot powders in my current Handloader Magazine. Anyone seen or tried this out yet?
Wondering if burn rates are going to be different.
Why would Alliant ever change the burn rates?
That would make every drop of loading data, INCORRECT!
The advertising B.S. that your now reading is only two years old.
MG

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I believe Alliant made an attempt to make the powder granules more uniform in size, promoting a more even burn. That and it was time for a fresh new label for the can anyway.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Green Dot did change. I know a few people that have been using Green Dot in their 20 ga tubes for years, then cracked the tube(s) when the loaded the Cleaner Green Dot. Also it is interesting that Alliant dropped all 7/8 oz 20 ga Rem and Win hull loads the next year.

Jason

·
Premium Member
8,266 Posts
Green Dot did change. I know a few people that have been using Green Dot in their 20 ga tubes for years, then cracked the tube(s) when the loaded the Cleaner Green Dot. Also it is interesting that Alliant dropped all 7/8 oz 20 ga Rem and Win hull loads the next year.

Jason
That had nothing to do with the "New Green Dot" Alliant dropped all the 7/8th loading data years before the packaging change.
MG

·
Premium Member
8,266 Posts
Yes,
I never stopped loading Green Dot in
20 gauge AA HS hulls.
MG
I load 20ga Winchester HS hulls,
with 14.5 gr of Alliant Green Dot Powder.
Winchester 209 Primer.
Winchester WAA20 Wad, "clone"
7/8 oz hard lead shot.
I have shot this load for over 30 years in a tubed gun and never had a issue.
It was an Alliant Book Load for many many years and still listed in the Lyman 5th.
MG

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
"It was an Alliant Book Load..."

Your 20 ga tubes have not cracked, so as Nebs posted, those that cracked were most likely defective.

Jason

·
Premium Member
8,266 Posts
"It was an Alliant Book Load..."

Your 20 ga tubes have not cracked, so as Nebs posted, those that cracked were most likely defective.

Jason
One could draw that conclusion.
I do not know that. I do know that I have been and still do, reload Green Dot powder in my 20 gauge loads.
There are 100's of older loads that have been de listed over the years. I've never attempted to find out why.
Each of us makes our own choices,
MG

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I’ll I’ve been reloading for years and years has been Red Dot and Green Dot. Good stuff. I think it cleaner than stuff from the 70’s and 80’s but that cleaner burning ad has been around for years. Try it you’ll like it. Very consistent powder. At least in my experience. I have no plans of changing. Not to say I won’t experiment here and there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts