Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After not loading much over the last few years I thought it would pass the time and load some shells as the ranges are all closed around here.
I still had a small amount of older clays powder and my Mec Grabber drops 20.3 grains of powder as it did when I last loaded shells. I purchased a new 8 llb jug of clays and measured how much powder the same bush dropped and it only drops 19.7 grains. [I always check my powder when I reload and after every couple of boxes] Has anyone come across the same thing in their reloading of new clays powder?
I have to note I only reload for Wobble Trap and I use Federal GM hulls, Cheddite primers and Claybuster SO wads dropping 1 oz of either #8 or 7 1/2 not that it has a bearing on the powder drop.
This has proved a fast load for me with not much recoil.
Devonian.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
When Hodgdon moved production of Clays from Australia to Canada, there were reports of density changes. From your report, it sounds like they are close to getting it back to where it used to be. Your load should be fine, a .5 gr. difference is well within tolerances.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had 24# of old clays right when the new came out. Have heard of the difference and have 4# of the new but haven’t tried it yet. If I don’t like the new stuff I will consider changing to something else. Especially since clays is somewhat more expensive now.

Like you, I’ve always liked the perceived low recoil.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I had 24# of old clays right when the new came out. Have heard of the difference and have 4# of the new but haven’t tried it yet. If I don’t like the new stuff I will consider changing to something else. Especially since clays is somewhat more expensive now.
What is the going price of the New Clay's Powder?
Thanx,
MG

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Devonion, it's probably good that your new Clays is dropping less. Tim99 has been testing & shows the new stuff has higher pressure than listed data. Witch hasn't been updated...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This has been a topic over and over the last several years. I do not have my old post info but for me there was a big difference with the same charge weight. MULTIPLE calls to Hodgdon went unanswered and when I finally spoke with them in-person at a large shoot I just received an arrogant attitude and was told they were exactly the same powders in performance, velocity and weight for charges. I know from many old posts and talking with others, my findings were not unique to me. I understand sometimes products change am I am ok with that if the company just admits it and informs us. The in-person exchange I had sealed the deal on changing to another companies powder. I still use some Hodgdon rifle powder but when that is gone, I will have to decide to stay or go.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This has been a topic over and over the last several years. I do not have my old post info but for me there was a big difference with the same charge weight. MULTIPLE calls to Hodgdon went unanswered and when I finally spoke with them in-person at a large shoot I just received an arrogant attitude and was told they were exactly the same powders in performance, velocity and weight for charges. I know from many old posts and talking with others, my findings were not unique to me. I understand sometimes products change am I am ok with that if the company just admits it and informs us. The in-person exchange I had sealed the deal on changing to another companies powder. I still use some Hodgdon rifle powder but when that is gone, I will have to decide to stay or go.
If I don’t have luck with the new powder I will probably switch. No use using powder that doesn’t perform the way you expect and costs more. The original was just SO good.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to thank all the replys to my thread. The powder seemed to work alright when I shot a couple of boxes of reloads the Sunday before the shutdown. The loads with 19.7 grains seemed to work well.
We pay more in Canada for the powder even though its made here. I never understood why we could not have powder made here and sold here before shipping to the US to be packaged and then shipped back to be sold.
The current price here in Canada is around $220 Canadian which is about $167 us. I think I paid about $205 Canadian when I purchased mine.
Thanks
Devonian.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I used the old Clays powder. I now use the new Clays powder. I see no essential difference. I think .4 grains difference in a bushing is less than I would expect lot to lot for many powders. My loads seem very clean. I would like to see Hodgdon redo the Clays data with PSI instead of LUP. I load off the bottom velocities for each shot weight so I have no concerns about pressure. My 1 oz loads are under 17 grains but the STS hulls might make that much difference? I am glad Clays is back and I will load it as long as I can get it. I think of all shotgun reloading data and most factory shell data as approximations. I do not know whether to believe or to not believe shotshell velocities from home chronographs. Shotshells do not seem to be as easy to check and calibrate as pistol rounds.
I expect the Hodgdon packaging plant is in the US for a number of reasons. One reason might be that the market may be larger in the US. Another reason may be the US or Canadian tax structure?

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Price at Graf's is $151.99, 700X is $140.99, 8lbs. I also use Clays. Powder drop was slightly different with the new stuff, a little difference in color also. Still seems to work well. Regards, Bob

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
IMHO
Clays is great powder for its purpose. Just cut back on powder charge from what the reloading data states.
Test it with a chronograph till you get in a realistic range of what you are looking for, then go to the practice trap.
It's a good possibility that you will be surprised of how little bit of powder you are dropping and your shoulder will thank you for it.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
What Slickhead said.....
While I do not use it 2 fellow shooters that had used Clays for years have complained that the new Clays is "hotter". They both cut their powder charge some.

·
Registered
767 Posts
My findings last week is the new powder runs fast. I was loading for a 1200 fps load and was getting 1350 on average. That was thru a un-offical Garmin. I cut back on the powder from 18.7 to 18.0. Still breaks targets and I can't tell (feel) any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
For my load 19.1 gr of old Clays.... 17.7 of new Clays for the same FPS .

Reactions: slickhead
1 - 20 of 40 Posts