Trapshooters Forum banner

New Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Hard to Open With Top Lever - Shooting Light Target Loads

2210 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Red West
My new gun is hard to move top lever when shooting to break open the gun. Opens fine when not shooting. It's opens easier when using light grease on barrel lugs. However, the CG gunsmith said not to do so as this would attract dirt and cause wear. He said to use a light oil on the top lever. The problem is not with the top lever and oiling this didn't help. I was also concerned as the oil runs off quickly into the receiver and might cause trigger or other issues. I suppose grease could be pulled back into the receiver by the bolt also. I have always used a light grease (STOS) on the barrel lugs of my other guns and never had an issue doing so. I clean my guns after each days use.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do you grease your barrel lugs?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,535 Posts
You have already been told by the CG gunsmith what you should do.

I can't see what harm a little grease can do, if you wipe it off after each use. In 9 months the oil alone should be fine. The CG smiths will clean-up any grease inside the receiver during your first pit stop!!! Its your thumb, if it hurts after shooting do what you need to do. Otherwise stick with the Oil, if you can!!! break em all jeff

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No disrespect to Pull & Mark. As I stated the oil didn't help. I was hoping to hear from other folks that have Guerini's and if they had this problem with their gun when new, what if anything they did to alleviate the issue or just kept going as is and
whether or not it "wore-in" and the issue went away in time.

· Banned
531 Posts
Just make sure you don't grease tang, interference angle cut if you grease will bind
Automotive lighting Eyewear Automotive design Traffic light Audio equipment

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is interesting. What you refer to as the "tang" and not to grease is what I refer to as the barrel lugs and is the area I have always greased with other guns and greasing this area with the Guerini helps. It seems in my case, the bolt is what's binding in the barrel lugs.

· Registered
13,535 Posts
I can't see what harm a little grease can do, if you wipe it off after each use.
No disrespect to Pull & Mark. As I stated the oil didn't help.
You ask for our opinion, and when I give it, you don't want it!!! Did you totally miss the part I told you to grease it lightly??? Then wipe off the used grease when finished shooting for the day. Since the grease will be full of grit!!!
I would follow what the CG gunsmith told you to do. Regardless if it helps opening your shotgun or not. Yeh, most all of us had to break in a shotgun before. Tuff it out!!! The Action will get easier in time.

Your bottom lug is the same as any Browning. break em all jeff

· Banned
531 Posts
This is interesting. What you refer to as the "tang" and not to grease is what I refer to as the barrel lugs and is the area I have always greased with other guns and greasing this area with the Guerini helps. It seems in my case, the bolt is what's binding in the barrel lugs.
Sorry about the incorrect nomenclature. The picture does ID it well Barrel Lugs.
This Picture I posted Came from Steve R from Target Shotgun, I had the same issue with my CG, As I always brushed a slight coat of silicone grease with my Browning's
, well I stopped on my CG, and problem has not returned. I purchased New last Aug 2020 from Steve at Target Shotgun, Thanks Steve R

· Banned
2,714 Posts
I was told by a Browning authorized smith that is ok to grease the barrel lugs for an extremely short amount of time on a brand new gun. Say less than 500 shells, might have been only 250. Clean it welleverytime you shoot and refresh the grease up to the limit. The Guerini uses a similar design.

However, I was told to stop greasing the lugs as the locking bolt is designed to seat and wear. I'm not a gunsmith and take the info for what you paid for it - nothing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.