Trapshooters Forum banner

New BT99 Scores

3612 44
Seven rounds so far. 22, 21, 17, 23, 16, 16, 21. What can I do to get more consistent scores? I'm a lefty so my weak points are P1 and P2.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Assuming you patterned the gun to shoot similar to your old gun, just keep shooting it. It takes a while to build a relationship with the gun. If you are missing birds on Post 1 and 2, that has nothing to do with the gun if your inkdotting the rest

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,687 Posts
Seven rounds so far. 22, 21, 17, 23, 16, 16, 21. What can I do to get more consistent scores? I'm a lefty so my weak points are P1 and P2.
Agree with some of the advice above.
1) pattern it
2) shoot straight away from 3 until you are ink spotting.
3) if you are consistently missing angles, evaluate LOP or fit in general. For May be causing you to come out of the gun, cross over, lift your head, or any other number of maladies.
4) shoot is a lot more. 1-2k before you really have an idea.
5) if a specific targets is giving you fits still, lock it on that and shoot a while box of them until you’re smoking them.

The question is how consistent and how well did you shoot before? It’s difficult to gauge without that knowledge. Most guns do not fit out of the box. Unless you got a custom for stock, scores aren’t likely to be as high or consistent until you “learn” to shoot the new one. Even then, fitted stocks take some adjustment period.

Good luck.

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,687 Posts
Right = right. Right?
Depends which right you are referring to. It’s the opposite of archery because you are moving your head not the sight. In archery or scope/rifle, you chase the miss. If you miss right, you move right because it will force you to hold more to the left.

With a comb, you move opposite the miss. If you are shooting pattern right, move the comb left. But in reality, if you are seeing vertical stack, it’s been shown on here before canting won’t account for that miss, so the question of L v R then becomes: are you the beads stack but they aren’t really? Or is your barrel not regulated? Have someone look down your barrel or mount in a mirror. Do it with your eyes closed to make sure you aren’t laying your head over or adjusting your mount. The latter requires a gunsmith.

Hope this helps some?

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree with some of the advice above.
1) pattern it
2) shoot straight away from 3 until you are ink spotting.
3) if you are consistently missing angles, evaluate LOP or fit in general. For May be causing you to come out of the gun, cross over, lift your head, or any other number of maladies.
4) shoot is a lot more. 1-2k before you really have an idea.
5) if a specific targets is giving you fits still, lock it on that and shoot a while box of them until you’re smoking them.

The question is how consistent and how well did you shoot before? It’s difficult to gauge without that knowledge. Most guns do not fit out of the box. Unless you got a custom for stock, scores aren’t likely to be as high or consistent until you “learn” to shoot the new one. Even then, fitted stocks take some adjustment period.

Good luck.
I had Joel Etchen cut down to 13.5 LOP. I've had others watch and I'm generally disinigrating targets P3-5. I think my Beretta was generally chipping targets. As far as before the BT I was scoring generally upper teens to lower 20s.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
With a comb, you move opposite the miss. If you are shooting pattern right, move the comb left.
Absolutely not. Just the opposite. The comb moves the eye. The eye is the back sight.
EDIT
I was responding to the entirety of the thread messages and your ending sentence. In this sentence you are correct. But it surely causes confusion.

My apology.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
At the craft stores they sell adhesive backed craft foam. This works well for raising combs.
Also remember, just because the gun patterned where you want it, Center wise. Doesn't necessarily mean that is where you may hit a bird that is angling from the thrower. Since we all swing differently, trigger fall times, our finger movement, whether a sustained lead or a pass through lead . All can change where your comb may need to be adjusted too.

· Premium Member
903 Posts
I'm a lefty, in the beginning i was missing a lot on station 1 and 2. Found that my foot position on those two staitions were totally wrong. Now what works for me is on #1, my left foot is at 9:00 and right foot is at 11:00. This works for me as my body does not get 'wound up' for the hard left shots. Get your foot position where your upper torso has free movement to smoothly move your gun to the target. hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.