Trapshooters Forum banner

New BT99 Max High Grade Forearm latch issue

1536 10
I recently bought a new BT99 Max High Grade last summer (2021).. It's an awesome, beautiful gun and I love the way it shoots, but from the beginning, the forearm latch lever was difficult to operate (close) when putting the gun together. I stopped breaking the gun down to clean it after every use because of that (lady shooter with small, arthritic hands). I broke it down after the last time I shot it - about two weeks ago - because it was a very damp day and I didn't want excess moisture on under the forearm wood. I cannot get the gun back together! The forearm latch doesn't close, if you will... something needs to be adjusted. I called Browning and they were less than helpful and said I'd need to send the gun in for evaluation of the problem and it would take 2 to 3 months... I've called a few of their "approved" gunsmiths listed on their website and no one wants to take it for repair.. I'm not finding any information about any warranty offered by Browning.. so I have a $5000+ new gun that I cannot use or get serviced... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, this is my only trap gun, so I'll need to borrow something from someone to continue winter league shooting, thus my frustration.. Thank you for your help!!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Maybe this will help. My BT 99, a 1990 gun, had a very tight and hard to release forearm. The problem was a too tight fit for the wood to barrel. Wrapped some 200 grit sandpaper around an appropriate size dowel and opened the channel. Do a little and try until you get a firm, but not too tight fit. Afterward coated the sanded portions with BC Stock seal and all has been well for a long time.

· Registered
1,906 Posts
I can adjust the forearm lug on the barrel.

It is usually the fit of the forearm latch to the bbl lug.

Also you can file, VERY SLIGHTLY, the hook on the bbl lug, try the fit with the forearm, file a little more, try the fit with the forearm, untill it goes off and on to your satisfaction.

Thank you, Doug. 573-286-9905.

· Registered
8 Posts
Ive had my max hi grade for 3 years. Same problem. I give it a little bump with palm of my hand and it snaps in. It is where the barrel latch starts into the forearm. Im not filing on mine though. Once you get it close...just a little bump with ur palm and it will be fine.

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
Ive had my max hi grade for 3 years. Same problem. I give it a little bump with palm of my hand and it snaps in. It is where the barrel latch starts into the forearm. Im not filing on mine though. Once you get it close...just a little bump with ur palm and it will be fine.
We had a guy who had the same problem with a new BT. Hard time getting that forearm on. He did exactly what 29longshot did. I have a older 2014 BT, I have no problem getting the forearm on, and locked.

· Registered
176 Posts
Once the forearm is in as far as it will go but not seated, just hit it at the top with the heel of your palm, once in place, do the same with the latch. Both Brownings that I bought new had the same problem at first, but it gets easier over time.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
The first thing to do is check the screws for tightness.

If that is good, use a permanent black magic marker on the metal barrel lug. First put it on as far as it will go, and then remove. Look for bare metal on the barrel lug on the flat side. More than likely it will reveal wear on the corners. Remove a very small amount where the raw metal is, and try again after reapplying more black. Do this until the marker wear is evenly across the lug. Eventually if it latched before, it will again if you do as described above. Give it a bump, or push the wood toward the barrel at the same time as you are putting pressure on the latch.

New Brownings are notoriously tight. Use a high quality grease on the joint to prevent galling. Tight and functioning is good. Forcing it open with that much tension is going to wear parts unevenly, by making high areas dig into the opposite side, instead of wearing off and becoming flat.

· Registered
612 Posts
try taking the forearm iron off the forearm and try assembling the gun
Good idea in theory (and it may work on other guns) . . . but, I assume you're suggesting removing all the metal components from the forearm assembly, and reassembling them without the wood . . . and then reassembling the entire gun using only the forearm iron to test the latch lockup?

But, can it be done with a BT-99 (Gen 1 or Gen 2) and result in a useful test of the forearm latch lock-up? Without the wood, I don't think the latch sub-assembly can be held in its normal (gun fully-assembled) place to test the latch. See photos below.

Product Font Line Rectangle Material property

· Registered
74 Posts
I got the same gun I do what Longshot 29 does put some grease on lug get it where it belongs and tap the upper forearm it will get easier overtime. When gun is apart does it forearm snap on the barrel easier I wouldn't sand or file before you try this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.