Trapshooters Forum banner

New BT99 and chokes

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  PaulCISSA 
#1 ·
With the 34" barrel do I need the extra full and light modified or just the "usual" full, modified and IM?

#2 ·
I usually pattern my chokes , not just to see if they hit where I want them to. But also to make sure they pattern a nice density.
My wife's 30 inch BT99 actually patterned better with a Carlson LM
Than a Browning LM
Or Browning full.
She is a short yardage shooter so she has stayed with that for 16s and handicaps.

#9 ·
If you had a great patterning fixed choke, you would not have to wonder about those things.

Those chokes will not be good enough if you become what the average trapshooter does. Your collection will grow once you run through them twice or so, and they still all have a loss in them.

#14 ·
Your brain would think they are better, and that is all that matters. Even if the pattern is worse without knowing, you would shoot better. Trapshooting the mind is everything. It is all about altering your confidence, and removing doubt.

I use Briley chokes in my Brownings and all pattern as expected. My favorite choke in my BT 99 and BT 100 is a Briley Light Full. It works well on 16s and 27.
Again, one choke for all. Once a choke patterns well, distance don't matter.

#17 · (Edited)
I have the same BT99 setup and I never change it. Briley Light Full crushes.

Your brain would think they are better, and that is all that matters. Even if the pattern is worse without knowing, you would shoot better. Trapshooting the mind is everything. It is all about altering your confidence, and removing doubt.
That’s some cerebral stuff there. If you could reliably improve pattern AND trapshoot the mind, that would be the stuff of champions.

#13 ·
I had a BT99 for a couple years that came with just the browning IM choke, I used it for 16 and 21 HCP no worries it smashed them hard, browning chokes are consistently about .010 looser than my CG or my KX6 special chokes in any given designation but that doesn't mean that they are no good, they still work great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.