Trapshooters Forum banner

New Browning 725 Trap

3749 Views 26 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  amature target shooter
Hey guys,

just picked up my new trap gun yesterday. So far I really like it and can’t wait to get it out for some shooting.
I hate to sound nit picky but I have one disappointment. As you all know this gun is not the most expensive and not the least expensive.
I did find some blemishes on it and was wondering what to do? Contact Browning or just live with it.
Again very minor but after shelling outsome cash one would expect better.

See attached:

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

just picked up my new trap gun yesterday. So far I really like it and can’t wait to get it out for some shooting.
I hate to sound nit picky but I have one disappointment. As you all know this gun is not the most expensive and not the least expensive.
I did find some blemishes on it and was wondering what to do? Contact Browning or just live with it.

See attached:

Thanks
Bowhunter,
I saved my nickels and dimes for what seemed like an eternity and then bought myself a 725, as a Christmas present, when first released.
Took it home to get to know it.
Of course I had to take it apart.
First thing I did was drop the forend on the concrete floor in the basement and knocked a big chip out of it.
A little superglue and shoe polish (after I wiped away the tears) and she was - almost - as good as new.
I get the concern over the blemishes - I went through 5 or 6 boxes to find the prettiest stock they had.
Guys I shoot with have their 15 or 20 thousand dollar Italian and German mistresses however my little Browning can do anything they can do - as long as my brain stays in the right place.
You are gonna love that gun.
sunolbob

· Registered
177 Posts
I would not be happy with those areas either.
My 725 checkering background was very light in comparison to the rest of the stock and forearm, and I have applied Howard's feed and wax (with a new *toothbrush and/or q-tip) to help darken it up...helps, but have had to reapply to some problem areas.
You might want to try applying Howard's or a favorite wood treatment in a small inconspicuous area to see if the light marks are helped before you go to the trouble of contacting Browning.
*Hard to tell for sure, but try the toothbrush dry first, some of the light marks may just be some kind of residue.

· Registered
266 Posts
You have yourself a great shotgun, shot mine for several years and did well. A buddy bought one and it had the same type of "white residue" in the checkering. Like RLW48 recommended, a brush took care of the residue. Enjoy your new gun and congrats!!

· Registered
703 Posts
Get some Old English Wood Conditioner and Cleaner and rub it in, use old tooth brush to get between the checkering. I have two of the guns you mentioned one in 30 inch and one in 32. They are great guns. I use the 30 for five stand and the 32 is my back up trap gun. Congratulations on a fine shotgun.

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Looks like the Browning stain filled finish did not cover all checkering.

Easy fix, and would actually help the checkering last longer. Put some 50 percent thinned Tru-oil in the checkering with an artist brush, and wipe off the borders. Sure not what you want to have to do, but better than taking all the time and effort of sending the gun back, or looking for a replacement. Trust me. The Tru-oil will soak in and darken the wood slightly while keeping it a flat sheen, and protect the checkering from absorbing dirt and sweat. Will blend the lighter wood area better.

That will keep it good until the first nick or, dent. Then after that the checkering won't bother you anymore.

· Registered
673 Posts
That is essentially sawdust in the checking. I've had that on several Brownings. The easiest thing to do is pick it out with a wooden tooth pick or you can use a clean dry bristle bush like a hard tooth brush. I would avoid putting anything on it for fear of sealing it in for good. Might want to finish it off with a light wipe down of some wood cleaner like cabinet magic. On 725s, I don't think Browning applies any stock finish to the cut checkering. I agree that Browning should do a better job cleaning these up but it isn't a big deal and not worth sending it back. Good luck with the new gun!

· Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys,

thanks for not thinking I was some whinny ass bitch i do greatly appreciate all the feedback and recommendations, especially from Ausamateur (ha ha). I used a small amount of tru-oil on a ramrodz cleaning tip and applied to the pistol grip area and it blended in perfectly. I’ll post an after picture later right now I have it cased up and anxiously waiting to hit the range for summer league.

again thank you all for the recommendations, while an option would be to send it back, I’m like a two peckered puppy and wouldnt be able to stand the long wait to get it back that is unless they sent me a replacement such as a golden clays (ha ha ha).

as of now I shoot really well with my Remington Competition and will slowly work the Browning into my everyday shooting.

A big THANK YOU to all of you

Have a great day

Travis

· Sky Buster
4,484 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks for not thinking I was some whinny ass bitch i do greatly appreciate all the feedback and recommendations, especially from Ausamateur (ha ha). I used a small amount of tru-oil on a ramrodz cleaning tip and applied to the pistol grip area and it blended in perfectly. I’ll post an after picture later right now I have it cased up and anxiously waiting to hit the range for summer league.

again thank you all for the recommendations, while an option would be to send it back, I’m like a two peckered puppy and wouldnt be able to stand the long wait to get it back that is unless they sent me a replacement such as a golden clays (ha ha ha).

as of now I shoot really well with my Remington Competition and will slowly work the Browning into my everyday shooting.

A big THANK YOU to all of you

Have a great day

Travis
You shouldn't have to settle for a less than perfect gun. A friend of mine bought a
new 725 trap. When it was received , he discovered that the rib was on crooked.
The dealer told him to return the gun to Browning. The repair took three months.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Hey guys,

See attached:

Thanks
After your first shoot it will be a lot worse. There will be crushed places in that checkering. Rack dings happen.

Reactions: RLW48
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.