Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
This issue is very important to defeat - could really damage sport shooting state wide should it pass. Especially with shotgun sports there are not many options off the shelf for suitable lead free target ammunition.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
Not only do they want to ban shooting lead, they also want to ban selling and or buying lead loads.
or giving it away like some clubs do as event awards.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
Law enforcement would be affected too. Most agencies use jacked hollow points to limit penetration. Might be some that use pure lead for training, practice and qualification, but I would think it would be few. Ammo has to be “lead free” and applies to all indoor and outdoor ranges. Did not see language for exemption for police or sheriffs, unless I missed it.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Law enforcement would be affected too. Most agencies use jacked hollow points to limit penetration. Might be some that use lead for training, practice and qualification, but I would think it would be few. Ammo has to be “lead free” and applies to all indoor and outdoor ranges. Did not see language for exemption for police or sheriffs, unless I missed it.
They weren't mentioned. As for law enforcement they practice wit lead. When I was as an officer.
This pucker your butt every time you see it here in California

Steve

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
LEO's and politicians always get an exemption.
If law enforcement is not exempted in the bill, law enforcement will be subject to it and if so, good basis for a lawsuit to throw it out.

Reactions: big kahuna

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
They weren't mentioned. As for law enforcement they practice wit lead. When I was as an officer.
This pucker your butt every time you see it here in California

Steve

I know most agencies back in the day used pure lead in revolvers for practice and qualification because it was cheaper. During the ammo shortage more than a decade ago, some agencies had to use factory rounds because of shortages and even then some waited months for new factory ammo shipments to arrive to change out. We changed out every 6 months and used JHP, lead with a copper jacket and exposed nose with a cavity. With most agencies now using semi autos, pure lead can cause feed problems in some firearms. Even when during the conversion, we used FNJ 9’s.

But the bill says “lead free” which means no cast bullets of lead, pure or jacketed. That would only leave solid copper which is turned and more expensive, right????

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See the thread I posted. CALIF SHOOTERS OPPOSE ASSEMBLY BILL AB 3071. If you follow the steps in my thread you can send an email to your assemblyman asking them to oppose the bill.
I have already done that.
Thanks for helping others

In my days duty ammo was sub sonic hollow point coated diver jacket. Expansion was awesome. 38 and 9 mms but like a 45 and stayed in the body.
Later mentioned cruel and inhumane punishment.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Of course they’re considering it, just look at their politicians. Not enough people stand up and fight it. I’m surprised they still have shooting ranges in California. I’m surprised we still have them here in NJ as well. Hopefully times are a changin’

·
Banned
531 Posts
It will Pass unfortunately, They have already banned all Automobile Manufactures of NEW vehicles from delivering any new cars to the state with lead wheel weights.
Get use to it its coming, and yes NJ wont be far behind! :( NJ 1 step behind CA in the east.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts