Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The daughter (adult experienced shooter) of one of the guys I shoot league with won a brand new Beretta outlander semi auto last weekend at tha MN state sporting clays shoot. Tonight after we shot trap league she took it out and shot it for the first time to see how it would shoot. Shooting factory trap loads. First shot cycled ok. Second shot empty hung out of receiver. Third shot empty hung out. Fourth shot the action didn't cycle back. She had a hard time getting it open. Fifth shot it didn't open. She could could not get the action open. Her father couldn't get it open. Had to set it butt on the ground and gently push the bolt lever down with his foot to get it to open. Shot a six shot and same thing. Gun went back against the fence. The bolt would move back and forth a little with the expended shell in the chamber. It sounded like some metal piece was keeping the bolt closed. Brand new gun. I let her use my Beretta o/u to finish. No problems there.

·
Registered
14,686 Posts
Jeeze....Hope Tron doesn't read this.

Beretta's manual tells you specifically how to seat the bolt rod/plunger against the detent of the recoil spring.

It's not rocket science. Regarding your bolt issues....Did you remove all the shipping grease and re-oil the gun before you shot it? and did you assemble it correctly out of the box? Check that.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will relay that to her. Yes it was cleaned. Don't know about setup or asembly of the new gun. Her, her father, her husband, and her brother, were there and they are all serious shooters and shoot multiple shotgun sports so they are not newbies. The first shot cycled fine but each succesive shot got worse until it locked up. With the gun empty you could cycle the action fine.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If it were me I'd break down the gun and clean all lube from the gun. Pull the trigger group and wipe it down if needed as well. The trickiest thing I found with the Outlander is getting the opera in and out of the gun when the trigger group is still in the gun. I found it easiest to flip the gun upside down OR to remove the trigger group before pulling the opera. When putting it back together it's easiest to have the trigger group removed and to stand the gun on the butt plate while inserting the opera. You can easily see how to align the bolt slide connecting rod into the spring guide this way.

Two very good videos to watch:
Bonus video: This one shows the technique I use to stand it on the butt when inserting the bolt slide connecting rod into the spring guide.

Don't over lube your gun. You only need about 3 drops of gun oil when lubing it. Put one drop of oil on each side of the guide rails inside the receiver and one drop on the outside of the opera (spreading it around). It's usually far worse to have an over lubed gun than an under lubed gun. Over lubing or using grease just attracts dirt and carbon debris which act like "sand paper".

Never get lube inside the gas piston. Also be careful when disassembling or re-assembling the gas piston. There is an elastic ring you need to compress while inserting. If this gets bent you will have cycling issues. It's easy to clean the piston just be careful not to bend that ring and not to ever force it. The trick is just to compress it a bit with your fingers as you insert it. The first video show this.

You only mentioned "Shooting factory trap loads" but not the specific load. The A300 manual doesn't specify a break-in requirement like some other semi-autos do. However, since you are having cycling problems I'd recommend shooting a box or two of heavier loads (minimum 1 1/8 ounce loads) and single feeding them one shell at a time just like you would in singles trap. If you chamber multiple shells and have a cycling problem the shells can jam causing you additional frustrations and possible bending the carrier.

If you still have a problem with cycling after running 4 boxes of 1.125 ounce loads than I'd suggest giving Beretta a call as something isn't correct and may need a slight adjustment.''

Hope this might help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts