Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a somewhat new 686 onyx pro trap combo, just had a couple questions, I think my concerns are normal but just wanted some insight for those who own one.

The top lever when the action is closed, it does not move much, maybe from a 4' o clock position to the 4:30 position. Ive owned new brownings where the lever goes closer to the 5:30 position.

Are new beretta actions tighter than most, found breaking it open took quite a bit more torque than any other new over/under Ive shot..

Otherwise I cant wait to shoot it!

thanks

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That's pretty normal that the gun is tight. If I understand what you are saying, when closed the normal position is at 4:00. My 686s (both have less than 2,000 rounds) close at about 5:30. In fact one of them closes closer to the 6:00 position than 5:30.

My biggest gripe was the stiffness of the safeties. I ended up carefully bending the safety spring and applying a bit of grease. It made life tolerable.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There is a great 2 part video put out by Power Factor on the maintenance and tear down of a 686. I will see if I can find the URL and will post it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

When the gun is broken open it sits at the 4:00 clock, then when I close it doesn't move much maybe to he 4:30 5:00, I noticed I don't get a loud click/thud when it locks up like I do with my other brownings..

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That is quite normal for a new Beretta, it will be stiff to open.Make sure you use a good grease on all the wear points.
Mine has just been rebuilt for the 3rd. time, but it has only 2000,000 rounds through it.
Beretta trap guns will give you a life-time of shooting enjoyment..

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The 680 Series Berettas are very well made and are designed to be shot A LOT
for years. Just SHOOT IT !!! It will eventually "relax a bit".

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Keep it greased, after about 4 to 5,000 thousand rounds, it will loosen up for you. Mainly at the hinge pins. Like cowboy said " shoot it". I have 686, 682 and 680 great shotguns.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That is quite normal for a new Beretta, it will be stiff to open.Make sure you use a good grease on all the wear points.
Mine has just been rebuilt for the 3rd. time, but it has only 2000,000 rounds through it.
Beretta trap guns will give you a life-time of shooting enjoyment..
Damn Two Dogs, mine has been rebuilt once 20 years ago (bought used). You're the first person I have ever heard of that's rebuilt a 680 more than once. My understanding is that Cole Guns has never put in the largest set of pins. I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 686 pro trap combo. One thing to watch is the set screw for the unsingle rib, it comes loose. DO NOT over tighten the screw it cocks the rib and splits to the bead. Beretta added a spring behind the screw and helps but still loosens up after a few hundred rounds. Has been a great gun.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
MD..When I say rebuild I mean locking block, all of the springs, firing pins, hammer springs assemblys.
I've had the barrel holes filled and redrilled and a 2nd. set of hinge pins.
I bought it new when they first came out. The last rebuild included bluing and new nickel, it's just like new now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 686 pro trap combo. One thing to watch is the set screw for the unsingle rib, it comes loose. DO NOT over tighten the screw it cocks the rib and splits to the bead. Beretta added a spring behind the screw and helps but still loosens up after a few hundred rounds. Has been a great gun.
Thanks , does your guns rib have some play when you push down on it in the middle ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes it does. When adjusting the rib make sure the plates are loose behind the forearm then adjust rib. I'm not sure the plates are ment to clamp the rib from up and down movement but more of a anti rattle

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it does. When adjusting the rib make sure the plates are loose behind the forearm then adjust rib. I'm not sure the plates are ment to clamp the rib from up and down movement but more of a anti rattle
Thanks again. Also, I'm sure it might be different between our barrels but do you know how high yours shot when the notch was at the highest point. I'm planning on patterning it tomorrow , I put it at the second notch from the top hoping to get close to s 60/40 poi

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm set in the middle of adjustment and patterns 2 inch high at 13 yards and puts me about 70/30 at 30yrds But that is me and you may find it different.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, one last question I promise ! When all the lock screws are tightened up I noticed I can still turn the adjustment wheel a few clicks either way , I'm guessing this is just normal

1 - 20 of 30 Posts