Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benelli is about ready to put it's first o/u on the market.

While I have professed to not being a Benelli fan due to what I consider non customer support, I am impressed with their innovations and am even more impressed with what they are offering in this new gun.

Take a look: Review: Benelli 828U Shotgun

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
The 828 has been on the market for the better part of a year now. Local big-box sporting goods dealer has one on the shelf, and I saw the first used one on gunbroker the other day.

Kinda the answer to a question nobody asked, far too light for any clay target use, far too over-engineered for any field use, and much higher in price than it's direct competition.

·
Registered
32,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I am so far behind the times. You guys living in big civilized towns have it much better than us out here in the smaller communities. I never heard about it until I ran across this article today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It came out earlier this year, it was available in July 2015 at most dealers, I bought one of the nickel models.

I like it very much for the field, little light & hard to swing for trap & skeet, but very well made gun.

We'll see how it works in the long run.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally Posted By: www.chuckhawks.com
Randy Wakeman
If Browning could design a gun for Benelli, the 828U is exactly what they would come up with, for it is going to sell a lot of 725s and Cynergys. The Benelli 828U is a major disappointment and an outright embarrassment. Its weak, problematic ejection, vulgar aesthetics, high recoil and annoyingly violent gun movement is topped-off with a nosebleed price. This, despite its low build cost, means that the 828U is a product condemned to please no one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
High recoil is directly relative to the weight difference. I'll carry the 828 all day long vs. the 725.
I own one & have not had any malfunctions at all??? I must got lucky & got the only good one!
Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I'm ok with giving it a try.
As far as price, all models are overpriced in my opinion. It's the network of high end dealers wanting enough profits to stay around.
It's funny how most that bitch about $$, are in business for themselves making big $$ overcharging for their services, or have high paying professional jobs they overcharge their clients for. I just say, buy if you like/want, don't buy if you don't like/want.
It's like the Franchi SPAS, if it fails, they will quit making it, then the value will triple. :)

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
Doing some reading about it, it has a weird, complicated, and potentially majorly problematic ejection system.

It is a pressure-set ejection system, activated by the outward pressure of the firing shell.

I'm envisioning something very similar to the piezo pressure test guns, which end up leaving an outward dimple on the hulls, as seen here:

If that is the case, and the chamber is not a solid cylinder like every other firearm ever made, I foresee issues with hull damage, issues with the ejectors working properly on a dirty gun (and potentially not working at all on low pressure shells), and worst of all a vent of pressure directly through the monoblock into the sidewall of the action in the case of a hull failure or overpressure shell.

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
Sadly, Benelli horribly mismarketed this gun. It seems like this gun was entirely marketed to the Benelli fan-boys, and Benelli counted on them saying, "Oh my god, Benelli has a o/u now, I have to go buy one right away to match my Benelli auto".

All of the features that this gun was built around are COMPLETELY lost on hunters. Adjustable stocks, interchangable barrels, drop out triggers, ease of rebuild after extensive use, ect. There isn't 1 hunter in 10,000 that cares about any of these. They want a gun that goes bang when they pull the trigger and occasionally bags some game.

However, competition shooters (skeet, trap, sporting) eat them all up.

This gun with 30" and 32" barrel options, a couple different stock configurations, easy to interchange ribs, and about 3lb more weight would have sold like crazy as a lower end mid-market clay target gun, something to compete with the middle of the road Brownings and Berettas.

I was even vaguely interested when I first heard about it, but lost all interest when I saw the final configuration. Plus the ejection system will make ejection impossible with subgauge tubes, not an issue for most, but a huge issue for some which means this will never see ANY use amongst competition skeet shooters no matter what the configuration might be.

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Like the Browning Cynergy. New futuristic lines and look.

Reality check.....ugly and impractical.

Benelli should stay with what they do best. Mechanical recoil semi auto shotguns.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Oh I think there pretty. Pretty ugly.......

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Just the right weight to support a set of sub gauge tubes, but the ejector system and inertia trigger prevents the use of tubes. Smart.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow. I thought it looked pretty cool and was going to ask everyone's opinion...............never mind. LOL.
Thanks all for highlighting the "Cons" on this one, mainly ejection and trigger re-set.

Question: For occasional Skeet use (and Upland Bird use) would a gun this light beat you up after say 50 shells?
I shoot a Browning XS with Briley's now so the weight difference would be huge.

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
The gun is going to beat you up after one shell.

You don't notice it when your heart is pounding after the bird flushes when you're hunting, but it will definitely get your attention shooting clay targets.

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
My suspicions about hull damage (and in fact destruction) are in fact absolutely correct:

"NOW, for what they didn't tell you: There are two gas ports, one in each chamber, and this means that a small portion of the hull is unsupported and actually perforates (YES, you read that right!!!) to let some of the expanding gasses pass into the ejector bar mechanism. Imagine my surprise when a.) I saw divets in the chambers and b.) when I noticed small puncture holes in my spent hulls."

Shotgunworld.com • 828 U - A Long Review after about 2000rds!

This will eventually be recognized as a MAJOR design flaw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts