Trapshooters Forum banner

New "B" gun vs used "premium"

6960 Views 52 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  davidsy
hi all,

I don't get to shoot as much as I would like but would like to change that. A few years ago, I bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon 30" sporting as an all-around sporting gun. Don't know that I'll ever be locked into 1 discipline so I wanted something versatile for clays.

My 14 year old started shooting trap with a youth group this year. I had an adjustable comb and gracoil butt put on the Beretta to fit him. It probably needed to be done anyway.

So now, if I want to shoot along side him, we need another shotgun. A couple of the coaches with the youth team have bought their son's Perazzi's and I can see the value in that if they stick with the sport and I realize we're just starting out, so we have a ways to go.

But, I don't need my arm twisted to look, shop for and purchase guns, so I've been looking around. Before the "P" word came up, I was thinking about a new Browning 725 sporting for myself. They have a new Shot Shot maple model out this year and I love maple. But then Perazzi was mentioned and I've been reading up on them. But they are obviously a bit older and harder to find in the price range I'm at. I could maybe be in the $4k's for something nice. If we found a MX8 or MX15 or something that he could use, I could probably just take back the Beretta for myself and be happy (although maybe a little jealous).

So just curious, I'm sure others have been in this situation. What was your thought process when comparing new Beretta/Browning against used Perazzi/Kohler/Krieghoff in the same price range?

thanks!
Reactions: blackandgold
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,992 Posts
comparing new Beretta/Browning against used Perazzi/Kohler/Krieghoff in the same price range?
Start with “what fits”. Ya know why those used guns made your list? That’s because a quality product, that was well cared for, holds its value. I had a NIB 725 that left an abrasion on my cheek. I sold that thing and bought a used K-Gun THAT FITS.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A new Browning compared to a high condition MX8/Krieghoff is like French kissing your Grandma vs. your hot date!
Just want to make sure we're talking apples to apples here. Say $3500-$4k for the new Browning and the same $3500-$4k for a used MX8/Krieghoff. I know at least for the MX8 you're probably talking type 3 gun that's 30-40 years old? You're not getting high condition for that same price.

· Registered
3,090 Posts
The used gun will have more of its depreciation already eaten up by someone else which means if you don't like it for some reason its easier to move down the road and try something else.
People like to get emotionally invested in not taking a bath on something to their determent.

And there are so many aftermarket options for the Perazzi dropout trigger guns. Stocks, triggers, and barrels all over the internet to swap until you have exactly what you want.

Even if the older gun has some bluing wear; it was $100 to have Phillips reblue my Perazzi receiver, trigger, and forearm iron. Looks just like new now.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
There is a really nice Perazzi MX15 used in Montana right now. They are asking $5,500.00 which is a little North of what you mentioned. Shipping is included and don't know what the tax situation would be for you. Don't know what length you son requires as this is just under 15" long which is just a fuzz longer than most new trap guns. A undersingle Perazzi would be a life long investment and real nice gun to own.

PD

· Registered
1,830 Posts
There is a really nice Perazzi MX15 used in Montana right now. They are asking $5,500.00 which is a little North of what you mentioned. Shipping is included and don't know what the tax situation would be for you. Don't know what length you son requires as this is just under 15" long which is just a fuzz longer than most new trap guns. A undersingle Perazzi would be a life long investment and real nice gun to own.

PD
Forgot to mention it's advertised right now on TS.com

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

PD
He's at 13 3/4" LOP now.

I do like the look of the nickel (??) MX15's. There was a real nice O/U and unsingle combo at the FL State shoot last week, but was in the high 6k's. Will take another look at the for sale section.

· Registered
13,547 Posts
A couple of the coaches with the youth team have bought their son's Perazzi's and I can see the value in that if they stick with the sport
1) Your son will stop shooting when you stop paying for it!!!----Say 4 years!!!
2) Don't spend money you don't have on any shotgun!!!
3) This is a hobby, not a way to make a living.

There is nothing wrong with buying a 725 shotgun. They will last you a lifetime. Browning's are easy on the pocketbook, & to take care of and maintain as well. P-guns are not nearly as cheap to maintain and repair. The 725 is a good heavy target shotgun. The Silver Pigeon is really too light to be considered a good target shotgun. It is however the perfect choice for young son to shoot until you stop paying for his ammo and targets. You may want sell this shotgun, to the youth program when your son is finished shooting it?
Beware of buying a used shotgun that is close to needing a total overhaul!!! This will really cost you. So stick to licensed gun-dealers if your not sure. You may want to find out which brand of shotgun fits you the best out of the box. The Browning or the Beretta. Mount each type of shotgun with your eyes closed. Get the shotgun to feel right in your shoulder pocket. Then get your face feeling right on your cheek. Then open your eyes. Buy the shotgun that has the best figure 8 lined up with the beads right out of the box!!! You still may need a adj. comb. and or butt plate. But you'll most likely shoot the shotgun that fits you the best right out of the box when you mount the shotgun and you get your beads lined up without having to much if any adjusting!!! Good Luck on your Journey. break em all jeff

· Registered
8,723 Posts
One thing about buying a used Perazzi is, it'll not lose value down the road when your son stop shooting.
Unless the gun is beat up during your ownership, a used Perazzi price will not go under.

10 years ago a nice used type III MX8 usually got sold around $3500~4000, today if you find a decent one, it's still around $4000.
Even you find a used MX8 that is loose, a rebuild by our TS member gunsmith will only cost few hundred dollars.
As mentioned above, Phillip reblued his gun parts for $100 if the finish was worn.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Only thing that is important is fit, fit, and fit. Brand does not matter (as long as it it not a Turkish disposalble headache)

Reactions: blackandgold
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.