Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATA REGISTERED LEAGUE PROGRAM

The registered league program was developed to introduce league shooters to ATA registered shooting, and to allow current members shooting in leagues the opportunity to pick up some additional registered targets.

ATA rules apply and take precedence to registered league shooting, however, non-registered shooters are allowed to squad with registered shooters in these leagues. Both singles and doubles registered leagues are allowed, and there is no limit to the number of weeks the league can last.

Registered league scores will be published by the ATA in the average book and on average cards, and will be used for both target attainment and minimum requirements at ATA registered tournaments.

A one time charge of $25 must accompany the Registered League Application when forwarded to the state association secretary. League participants pay ONE daily fee of $3 for the registration of their league scores.

For more information, please review the ATA rules, the Registered League Application form or contact the ATA office.

·
5,238 Posts
Nice enhancement in adding doubles targets to the singles platform...

j.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Actually the OP is partially correct. There is nothing new re: registered singles and doubles leagues EXCEPT that the $3 daily fee (ATA) is for the first 500 targets. After that another daily fee is charged four each 500 additional targets shot at.

That's what's new in 2014 about registered league targets.

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the "new" statement of fees taken directly from the ATA website ... All ya'all who are interested should go there and read up on ATA leagues and ATA Big 50 shoots!

" A one time charge of $25 must accompany the Registered League Application when forwarded to the state association secretary. League participants pay ONE daily fee of $3 for the registration of their league scores. "

Barry Roach
ATA Field Promotions Coordinator

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Barry -

Regarding your original post, I'm confused as to what is "new" about the registered singles and doubles leagues? I don't keep old copies of rulebooks around, but I know we've been doing a register singles league every spring in Naperville for the past three years, and I know when we started we also considered registering our doubles league too.

What exactly has changed, other than possibly the ATA trying to encourage these leagues or make people more aware of them?

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott. They have never been well promoted or understood. We need to make them "new" to those who have never heard of them.

Why don't you share your experience with us here? We need you to help us get the word out. Thanks. Bear.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Question reguarding the fees?

1. Does the 16 Yard application get a seperate $25.00 fee and the doubles get a seperate fee?
" A one time charge of $25 must accompany the Registered League Application when forwarded to the state association secretary. League participants pay ONE daily fee of $3 for the registration of their league scores. "

Thanks

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Barry -

At my club (same one as Jay in Naperville) we have a pretty large number of ATA registered shooters (relative to the size of our club and the active members). We have registered our singles league the past two years, and are doing the same again this spring. It's 400 singles targets, 50 targets per night. Our league will draw around 35 shooters, and last spring I believe we had 15 shooters that registered their targets. So as a percentage I believe that's pretty good. I realize that our league is tiny compared to others, but given our membership and our capacity, we can only handle around 40 shooters in a league.

With a few exceptions, most of the ATA shooters at our club will shoot less than 500 registered targets a year (not counting the league). A handful will attend part of the state shoot, although we can usually count on 8 or 9 to shoot some events at the Grand. The location of the Grand helps on that quite a bit. It's interesting that from Naperville to Sparta is nearly exactly the same distance as Naperville to Vandalia, so from a travel perspective it's not much different. But being in Illinois it seems like more people are interested in attending.

I know that at our club it's important to have someone who keeps the ATA in-front of the ATA members. Every year we publish the list of ATA shoots in the area in our newsletter (it's in calendar form and is in every newsletter), and I also am active in emailing the ATA members reminding them of upcoming shoots, offering to do pre-squadding, and generally being available to answer questions or help out if asked. Showing up to an ATA shoot as a newbie can be a pretty daunting task, and many people won't take that step unless someone is willing to be their guide the first time or two.

We also hold four ATA shoots every year, targets only (except for the NTD shoot where we offer trophies). Since we are a steel-only club, we generally don't have anyone other than club members participate. So it's a good, low-pressure way for the new people to get introduced in a low-pressure environment - shooting with other club members, familiar surroundings, etc. From there they are more likely to attend a local trophy shoot and then possibly spend a day at the state shoot or the Grand.

I can also tell you this about the ATA program at our club (I'm the ATA and league coordinator) . . . the club charges nothing outside of the ATA/ISTA mandatory fees for anyone participating. We do not increase target prices for ATA shoots. I joke that we have the cheapest target-only prices around at $14 per 100. We charge the same price for ATA targets as we do for practice targets. The club even ponies up for trophies for our National Trapshooting Day event each fall, and we still charge practice round rates. Granted our club is an all volunteer club with no paid workers, but we run all of our events that way.

For leagues we charge a $20 entry fee (shooters pay practice round prices when they shoot) and from the $20 we buy trophies and provide food for the league shooters on the last night. Generally I can do that on a break-even basis, but if not the club covers the rest of the costs.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts