Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It was unavailable for quite some time. I gave up looking for it. They advertised the heck out of it and had none in the distribution channels. It's a similar powder to long shot, if memory serves me well enough.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I shot Pro Reach for the first time this past weekend at a pot shoot. I've previously used Longshot, Blue Dot and 4756. I was quite impressed. The book load was 1400fps but it probably chrono's faster. I haven't had a chance to chrono it nor pattern it on paper. This puts it into Longshot speed. It kicks less than Longshot and requires less powder to obtain equivalent speed. It burns cleaner. It's cheaper than Longshot. It meters more consistently than Longshot in my Spolar, which I didn't expect for a large-flaked powder. I took money in 3 out of 4 of the winks that I shot. The longest shot was a 4th at about 110 yards. I think it's a great powder.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I just ordered an 8 lb can so we shall see. My supplier has it in stock & it was almost $60 less than what I have been using

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
PerazziBigBore

I've been thinking the exact same thing. When they come up with some handgun data, I might look into buying some. For now, I have enough of the "other" stuff to keep me going for awhile. I'm still looking for some of the new 300MP. If you can believe the data, it will put some magnums into a new category.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Will do Hap... It will be here next week. I plan to compare it to Herco, Longshot, 7625, 4756, Blue dot, 800X. I like the 7625 because of low recoil but this is worth a try

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
cubancigar2000- How are you going to compare the powders? If you intend to compare recoil, you will have to measure pressure peaks at an accuracy of at least 1/10,000 of a second. Burning rates of different powders typically vary around 3-5 10/000 of a second. How did you determine that 7625 has low recoil?

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Quack Shot.. Great minds think alike.. I've been playing with my 9mm Super Mag..A 40 Super case necked down to 9mm.. I can't break 2000 fps with a 88 grain.. Maybe this powder hold promise.. Next will be a 7" barrel..That might do it.. The 6" is at 1850 +- 35 fps..with Comp..

Also.. my playing with the 460 Rowland has been fun and exciting..Great hunting shell..for those of us who love the 1911 frame..

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Pat,

He puts the butt pad against his nose and pulls the trigger. If there is no blood, then it is low recoil. HMB

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
PerazziBigBore

I'm all for a new powder. The 300MP looks very promising. It will likely be a Winter project for me. Anything that shows data for 1995 fps with a 125 grain pill out of a .357 Mag sounds like fun. I've gotten over not using Blue Dot, so I have something to look forward to. Even at lower loadings, it might beat some of the heavier loads with other powders. ProReach may prove to be another option. Once I've recovered from my pending surgery, I'll hope to be rocking and rolling with at least one of these new powders. I just wonder how fast that load would be out of my M66 snubbie.:) (don't think I'll try it though, I LIKE my little friend too much)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I've used quite a bit of Blue Dot.. A powder.. slower.. and more compact would ..???might??? be useful.. I'm not looking for reduced loads.. got plenty of Unique for that..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i looked up recipies on alliants website but i dont see a load for 1 1/8th oz. loads. dont want to shoot more lead than that. hopefully a load can be worked up. luckyshot

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Dram Equiv. Shot Wt.
(ounces) Velocity
(fps) Primer Powder Wad Grains Approx. psi
--- 1 1/8 1,550 CCI 209M Pro Reach 12S3 35.2 10,330

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
HMB - yes thats about right but I just ain't into the scientific sh**. I will leave that to Pat and Neil as they seem to be into all the numbers which don't mean sh&& in the real world. All I care about is winning and not getting a headache or sore from the recoil so I use what works. Science and being anal with numbers does not work for me. I respect their opinions and theory's but ?JMHO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.