Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up 100 20 gauge new , once fired hulls that a family of shooters were going to throw away. This morning I knocked the primers out and resized them, several had splits in the crimps , they will reload just fine , but not as many times as my compression formed hulls. Price goes up and quality goes down , good old American greed. I think less of win ammo every day .

· Registered
36,819 Posts
Yesterday I picked up 100 20 gauge new , once fired hulls that a family of shooters were going to throw away. This morning I knocked the primers out and resized them, several had splits in the crimps , they will reload just fine , but not as many times as my compression formed hulls. Price goes up and quality goes down , good old American greed. I think less of win ammo every day .
Just remember we have an economy that runs better cheaper on fossil fuels than some solar powered pipe dream fueled by pot in the pipe. Plastic used in shells from oil. Price of oil goes up, everything goes up. Government interference and misguidance far worse than free enterprise greed. They got you thinking exactly the way they want you to think.

· Registered
614 Posts
Just remember we have an economy that runs better cheaper on fossil fuels than some solar powered pipe dream fueled by pot in the pipe. Plastic used in shells from oil. Price of oil goes up, everything goes up. Government interference and misguidance far worse than free enterprise greed. They got you thinking exactly the way they want you to think.
Nicely stated sir.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two years ago at our club we experience poor Winchester AA quality, 20 gauge crushed shells from manufacture and ammo that failed to discharge in 410 gauge. A letter of complaint was written along with emails , never received a response to my knowledge. Oil prices had nothing to do with it, just poor quality control, motivated by greed.

· Registered
36,819 Posts
Two years ago at our club we experience poor Winchester AA quality, 20 gauge crushed shells from manufacture and ammo that failed to discharge in 410 gauge. A letter of complaint was written along with emails , never received a response to my knowledge. Oil prices had nothing to do with it, just poor quality control, motivated by greed.
Like I said, they got you thinking like they want you to think and there are other manufacturers of 20 ga shells which is considered a throw away ga. Don’t be cheap with your money buying inferior products. Buy Remington.

Edit

I am not trying to pick on you, but seems a lot of your problems you post about here are caused by American greed. Perhaps instead of my recommending you buying Remington, you buy European or Asian ammo. I saddens me you have to live in such a miserable country as this where greed is formost on your mind. Maybe we would be better off if no ammo or any other products were produced here at all.

· Registered
36,819 Posts
Ron,
I guess you are lucky that the family of shooters gave you the hulls rather than charging you for them like most would have. If they had charged you what would you be saying about them?

PD
hmmm, I missed the fact the OP was picking up others discards. Makes the whole point of complaining about “American greed” even more silly. I have no problem people complaining about inferior products and not getting what they pay for, I do it myself, but I don’t broad stroke our entire capitalist system as “American greed“ because of isolated incidents.

· Registered
4,965 Posts
I don't think he was complaining about how he got them. I believe the point of the post was that prices have increased while quality has declined. I.E. the new HS hull is not as good as the older compression formed hull. On that some opinions may vary but I tend to agree with the op. I too like the older better, then Remington hulls next. Hs is ok but not the best.
Obviously, just my opinion--- which isn't worth much. Colonel

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I was paying for them, I would have told them ,no thanks. I'm just old school when pride in work and quality of product was number one. There is no other reason for poor quality than greed, that I'm aware of .My wife always says , I'm too much of a perfectionist in everything I do and expect it from others and it isn't going to happen . I'm pretty sure I won't be buying anything from Winchester the rest of my life.

· Registered
1,197 Posts
If I was paying for them, I would have told them ,no thanks. I'm just old school when pride in work and quality of product was number one. There is no other reason for poor quality than greed, that I'm aware of .My wife always says , I'm too much of a perfectionist in everything I do and expect it from others and it isn't going to happen . I'm pretty sure I won't be buying anything from Winchester the rest of my life.
Lol, hmmm so these free 20 gauge hulls that wouldn’t make 4 reloads pushed Winchester as a company into the trash for you?

· Registered
36,819 Posts
That is absurd. The quality of the product was there before it was fired. That quality was delivered when it was fired. There is no warranty written or implied of the life time of the hull beyond the initial firing of the shell.

Your demand for perfect hulls to reload is your own form of greed. it makes about as much sense as finding a discarded set of tires with 40,000 miles and for some reason you think they should be good for another 20,000 and you cry “American greed.” Your problem exists in your own mind.

Reactions: senorric

· Registered
13,503 Posts
Yesterday I picked up 100 20 gauge new , once fired hulls
Were these hulls your found, the AA HS line of shells? Or were they a Win. Economy line of throw-away hulls??? If the later, you get what you pay for!!! If they are the AA-HS line of shells. You need to load these hulls with a Win. made powder for 20 ga. hulls. These hulls have a smaller interior size than the STS hulls have. So you need a very dense powder to reload them. Downrange make a special shorter wad for the 12 AA-HS hulls so you can use a bulky powder. Nobody makes a special wad for the 20 ga AA-HS hull. So you need to use a Win. made powder. Then you will find you will get just as many, if not more reloads out the AA-HS hull. As you would from the the STS hull. Of course you will pay slightly more for the Win. brand powder. So there is a down-side, or balance in every hull you reload. Pick one hull and keep reloading it. Good Luck and don't forget to use published date and a good scale for all your reloading. break em all Jeff

· Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Were these hulls your found, the AA HS line of shells? Or were they a Win. Economy line of throw-away hulls??? If the later, you get what you pay for!!! If they are the AA-HS line of shells. You need to load these hulls with a Win. made powder for 20 ga. hulls. These hulls have a smaller interior size than the STS hulls have. So you need a very dense powder to reload them. Downrange make a special shorter wad for the 12 AA-HS hulls so you can use a bulky powder. Nobody makes a special wad for the 20 ga AA-HS hull. So you need to use a Win. made powder. Then you will find you will get just as many, if not more reloads out the AA-HS hull. As you would from the the STS hull. Of course you will pay slightly more for the Win. brand powder. So there is a down-side, or balance in every hull you reload. Pick one hull and keep reloading it. Good Luck and don't forget to use published date and a good scale for all your reloading. break em all Jeff
My AA28HS hulls load fine with 13gr Unique under a Claybuster copy HS wad.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are AA Hs hulls. I have 800 once fired compression hulls AA, 750 Remington premier hulls once fired and over 1000 gun club once fired in 20 gauge. I don't shoot 20 gauge as much as 28 and 410. If I reload the AA hs hulls once and throw them away , I'm not out anything, I just expected better from the company is all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.